Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,381,341 times

Advertisements

Hi how are you all today?

I just got a 1990 GMC Suburban V1500 350 SLE with a 4wheel drive.

I want to know how do you use it. I know what 4wheel drive is, but I do not know how or when you use the stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
Consult the owners manual. I am not familiar with that particular setup, but most 4wd vehicles have a "fulltime" 4wd mode, a 2wd mode, and then a 4wd "lo" mode, strictly for offroad only. If you drive on a paved surface in that mode, you can destroy your transfer case, differentials, and transmission in short order.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
Is it otherwise an automatic, but just has the 4 wheel drive "stick" on the floor?

(And says 4H, N, 2H, 4L)

Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Is it otherwise an automatic, but just has the 4 wheel drive "stick" on the floor?

(And says 4H, N, 2H, 4L)
Yes it's an Automatic.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,055,975 times
Read the owner's manual.

The "stick" is for the transfer case.

First, if you have manual hubs, you have to lock them. Take a look at the front wheel at the very center there's a "dial" that you have to turn (if you have manual hubs). You might have to press in, then turn.

Locking the hubs essentially locks the front wheels and the front axle shafts to the transfer case. If they're unlocked and you put it in 4wd, the gearing in the transfer case will spin, but it wont turn the front wheels.

If you read the manual, it'll give a max speed that you can engage 4wd. Under 20 MPH is usually a safe bet. It also wouldn't hurt to briefly shift to neutral while you do it. Of course, you can also do it from a stop. Move the lever from 2H to 4H. Now you're in 4wd. There may be a max speed you can drive while in 4wd.

N would be used if you're getting the truck towed.

4L is a low range gear. You must be stopped when you put it in 4L and this would only be used in bad conditions (like almost stuck in mud, not when it's snowing out). The top speed in 4L is very slow, so you don't really drive extended distances in it.

When you don't need 4wd anymore, slow down to the right speed (or stop) and shift it back to 2H.

Unlock the hubs. If you're driving a short distance or doing some non-highway driving, I'd just leave the hubs locked until you get to your destination to avoid getting in an out of the truck everytime you want to use 4WD. But high speed or long distance, they should be unlocked otherwise they'll reduce your mileage and create extra noise and (some) additional wear.

EDIT: Oh, and don't put it in 4WD on dry pavement.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,446,063 times
You only use that "stick" to shift into 4WD. It's probably in 2WD right now.

Some may be switched in and out of 4WD "on the fly" - meaning while you are in Drive and moving. Others require you to stop when making the switch.

There are probably two 4WD settings.....4WD H (high) and 4WD L (low). You will normally only use 4WD H for normal driving. Low range is for creeping along in extreme conditions like deep mud.

By the way, the rule of thumb is to only use 4WD when traction is low. You to not want to engage it on dry pavement. The front tires need to be able to slip.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
You should only use it when the time calls for it like lots of snow or out mudding.

Put the vehicle in neutral, pull the stick back or push forward until the lights come on. There is high and low depending on your situation.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You only use that "stick" to shift into 4WD. It's probably in 2WD right now.

Some may be switched in and out of 4WD "on the fly" - meaning while you are in Drive and moving. Others require you to stop when making the switch.

There are probably two 4WD settings.....4WD H (high) and 4WD L (low). You will normally only use 4WD H for normal driving. Low range is for creeping along in extreme conditions like deep mud.

By the way, the rule of thumb is to only use 4WD when traction is low. You to not want to engage it on dry pavement. The front tires need to be able to slip.

Posted with TapaTalk
Oh' okay.

So I whenever I go in 4 low I must have the vehicle parked or in nuatral so it can go 4lo?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,446,063 times
You will never need 4WD Low unless you are already stuck in snow or mud. You can almost forget you even have it.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You will never need 4WD Low unless you are already stuck in snow or mud. You can almost forget you even have it.

Posted with TapaTalk
I hear you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC