Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 PM

45 posts, read 95,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I've noticed a lot of people turn on their blinker literally as they are turning. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. A blinker is there to let everyone around you know you're intending to make a turn. If you're already making the turn, most people are going to figure that out anyway... but I still see it... all the time.
Totally. And it is so very nonsensical but I think this is why they do it: they are usually surprised that someone actually might want to cross the street when they want to turn. In other words, they are in their heads until the moment of turning.

Reminds me of another pet peeve: when I am waiting to cross the busy street and a car passing me slows down, decides to turn onto my street at the last minute, puts on their blinkers and if they would have indicated a half block down that they were going to make a turn, I could have crossed the busy street instead of standing there thinking the car was continuing on the busy street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,658 times
Lame modern cars designed by lame modern people have the front turn signals right next to the always-on headlights. The headlights drown out the turn signal light, but the turn signal light is there, just like the law says. Even if you can't see it.

It is true that some people turn on their turn signals as they begin the turn. Of course. They're turn signals, aren't they? I'm turning, aren't I?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Lame modern cars designed by lame modern people have the front turn signals right next to the always-on headlights. The headlights drown out the turn signal light, but the turn signal light is there, just like the law says. Even if you can't see it.

It is true that some people turn on their turn signals as they begin the turn. Of course. They're turn signals, aren't they? I'm turning, aren't I?
Yes but that is not enough time for the cyclist/pedestrian to react or at least decide what to do. What is so hard about putting on the turn signal a half block in advance?

As far as new car designs, that is exactly what it is--LAME! I saw these dinky front lights and said to myself: why skimp on lights? It's better to make them huge than so small that they are practically fading into the woodwork.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
You are a bicyclist, but you SHOULD ride a bicycle just like a motorcyclist does.....

Every vehicle you are sharing the road with is out to kill you. Do not trust that any vehicle sees you or isn't going to do something stupid or something you expect them to do.

The only thing you can expect them to do is the unexpected.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You are a bicyclist, but you SHOULD ride a bicycle just like a motorcyclist does.....

Every vehicle you are sharing the road with is out to kill you. Do not trust that any vehicle sees you or isn't going to do something stupid or something you expect them to do.

The only thing you can expect them to do is the unexpected.

Posted with TapaTalk
That is why I am here trading posts with you, right?

I am just stunned and amazed watching drivers looking at their smartphones (ha!) whilst navigating in 2000 pound vehicles.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
That is why I am here trading posts with you, right?
I dunno? I thought you were asking if cars had front turn indicators.

Quote:
I am just stunned and amazed watching drivers looking at their smartphones (ha!) whilst navigating in 2000 pound vehicles.
Hey....I see young squids on sport bikes doing handstands on their handlebars while riding a wheelie at 90mph on a busy freeway with their helmet fashionably hooked on the tail instead of on their heads! Who am I to judge?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
What is so hard about putting on the turn signal a half block in advance?
Here in Tennessee we have a program designed to preserve the life of the light bulbs in the turn signals. Folks simply don't use.....of course, if they tried, either the phone or the latte or the beer would get dropped....I suppose it is better the way it is.

Preserve the life of the turn signal light bulb......don't use them!

(Seriously, we just assume that people don't signal and are liable to make ANY maneuver at ANY TIME. Makes driving a whole lot less 'challenging'.)

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Federal law mandates even the size of such lights.

Therefore, they are either burned-out or you just aren't seeing them.

On a motorcycle however, never assume someone will actually use them and just assume that every car or truck is going to pull out or turn in front of you.

Posted with TapaTalk
Some drivers, especially in residential areas, turn on their turn signals as they turn. This, of course, makes the signal useless. I can alread see they are turning by that point.

Would have been nice to get some advance notice, so I can pull around them or change lanes instead of getting stuck behind them. In fact, that's the reason the car has turn signals. But apparently that never occurs to them.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Okay, okay, you make a good point about lights. I have been chewed out by drivers for it before.

My issue with lights is that I have bought some that were hard to install or very small or fell off. I have seen huge strobe-like lights and that is great. If you can recommend any brands to me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Go to your local bike shop. Lights are rated by lumens, the higher the #, the brighter the light. I have a small light that is designed for being seen and not for lighting up a dark road. It is small and uses a velcro strap to attach to the front handle bar. I have a rear light that clips onto the back of my under seat saddle bag. It uses batteries. I use both ALL the time, even though I am riding 99.5% during daylight hours. I also have jerseys which are brighter colors. My arm and leg warmers are black but have reflective strips on them. My cold weather jacket is neon green. Cars are not used to looking for cyclists. And we are much smaller than vehicles. Anything you can do to be noticeable and easily seen, will improve your chances of staying out of an accident.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
So are you saying that there is some prompt and that it controls both front and rear signals. Or worse still, that the act of turning the wheel automatically turns them on?

I thought so.
No, more like the opposite. You may have them on but if you make a kinda jagged move on your steering wheel, it could de-activate the signal.

Anyways as said by someone else further down and of course, my dear old Dad, "don't assume they're going to turn just because their signal light is on" and then he said something to the effect of watching to see if wheels turn in that direction. Also, to point out, some people put right signal on and turn left or vice versa.

And, I too, just love the ones that put them on at the very last second they make their turn.

The front of the car gets the brunt of the kicked up debris and dirt and whatever else is on the road, probably (?) more so than the back lights, and thus may be dirtier that makes it even harder to see if the driver did use their turn signals. If I'm out cleaning my car windows, I'm also going to include the headlights, signal lights etc but not everyone does that either. I've seen some of those sponsored car washes where the young kids try to wash your car. Hood area most likely gets the wash and rest of the car,... um, not so much and the lights and all, you be the judge. Maybe some kids are more efficient at doing that because what parents teach but they may have time constraints and told where/how much to wipe down? I don't go very often for that reason. If it's a good cause, I'd rather donate the money and do my own car wash.

I hope if you're a bicyclist out in the later hours of the day, that you too would have consideration, and maybe have reflective wear on you and you have a bike light. Bicyclist/s and pedestrians out walking or riding in dark clothes and no reflectors, lights or anything else like that is also an automotive driver's pet peeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive