Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
100% self-driving cars are in our near future and "auto pilot" cruise control that does the driving in places you'd normally use cruise is probably only a couple years away.

But it seems to me the more a car does for the driver, the worse the driver gets... so it's not all a good thing.

Cellphones + cars are the worst thing that's happened to safety since alcohol + cars though.
One could argue that once vehicles become 100% autonomous, there'd be no need to be a good driver.

OH and I had a revelation just now that fully autonomous cars will have wifi built in and the dash screen or other screen has a regular OS with browser, apps, tv receiver on top of already a video receiver and audio receiver. And obviously they will be usable while the car is moving (as currently video on the front screen isn't usable if the car is moving).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow that happened fast. I only saw it on the news maybe the middle of the week. Awesome no need to even look when backing up anymore.... just look at the screen. Great until the screen doesn't work.. what then ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Then you turn around as drivers have done for decades? This isn't a very complicated problem you're presenting lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Turn around like your caveman ancestor drivers did.

I was being sarcastic or did you guys already assume that ?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Anyway none of us will see the 'end state'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
If by that you mean cars/transportation will continuously evolve until the end of possibility/time, then yes I agree with you.

or If by that you mean the fully-autonomous car, I disagree as there will be regular infrastructure for it by 2050, in my view.

OR if by that you mean the world may end or go into WWIII or apocalypse / dystopia in the next few decades, then yes I agree with you
#1 - I meant this...

#2 - I won't see 2050 ... but believe that early implementations on some "roads(?)" could be there well before 2050, and I hope to see some

#3 - I hope to 'check out' before this, but I'm not so sure if I will, esp. WWIII

Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,065,636 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic or did you guys already assume that ?
LOL, went right over my head! The sad thing is that it’s because your sarcastic response all too closely resembles todays reality .

Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
LOL, went right over my head! The sad thing is that it’s because your sarcastic response all too closely resembles todays reality .
LOL, the sad thing is your right. Common sense isn't so common anymore in society, at least it seems that way.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
Will these new technologies mean no more tailgating?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
No, it will mean, I'm already barbequing on the way there!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,498 times
Quote:
Personally I really don't care for all the "new tech" on a lot of these vehicles. And for one don't like the idea of autonomous driving, I actually enjoy driving. I'm happy with anti lock brakes and blind spot detection. Other than that I would rather be the driver, not some computer.
I saw a news blurb the other day saying some nanny group wants to mandate back up cameras in all vehicles. As nice as they are having them mandated is a bunch of BS.
There are situations every driver faces where an autonomous car is going to be a tremendously better driver than the actual driver. What about areas of heavy fog, or unlit roads lined with trees or sheer drops on rainy nights? As an example, I was driving from Seattle to Boise a couple of weeks ago and hit a thunderstorm going over one of the ridges in eastern Washington. In the span of around two minutes and maybe three miles it went from dry and calm to absolutely pissing rain with tumbleweeds the size of computer chairs rolling down the freeway. It was coming down so fast my windshield wipers couldn't keep up at maximum speed. I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me and I was only doing 20 MPH. I had to pull over and wait it out. If it had happened at night, I would have been in real trouble.

Considering every year there are dozens of incidents where people back up in their driveway and run over their own kids or pets, requiring backup cameras isn't a bad idea. Especially on vehicle with high rear windows where there is a huge area behind the car the driver can't see.

Edit: Actually, I misjudged. There are a lot more. An average of 228 kids a year die from being backed over, and 17,000 are injured.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...-US/53337290/1

Last edited by Hesster; 09-28-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,380 times
Quote:
If this gets real sophisticated, maybe it will take a path where "cars" (or "pods") will be close together, guided (or even controlled) by communication among cars in 'the train', to warn of (or control) impending stop, turn, whatever.

Sounds exciting...

Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
On the contrary, if the systems are designed the right way, it could lead to "platooning" where cars follow each other a few feet apart for better fuel economy because it can be done safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive