Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:18 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

I suspect the guy would have done far better erecting a pole barn and keeping the best 20-25% of these cars in covered storage, put the cars on a rack system/lifts to stack them 3 high to make the most of the space. The values of the rare/brand new cars would have been higher by multiples that would far exceed the values the 75-80% other rusty wrecks brought.

The rest of these cars should have been just sold as used cars back when they had value/ran. Many buyers this week will suffer buyers remorse when they start pricing parts, restoration costs just to make them run, nevermind concours condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I suspect the guy would have done far better erecting a pole barn and keeping the best 20-25% of these cars in covered storage, put the cars on a rack system/lifts to stack them 3 high to make the most of the space. The values of the rare/brand new cars would have been higher by multiples that would far exceed the values the 75-80% other rusty wrecks brought.

The rest of these cars should have been just sold as used cars back when they had value/ran. Many buyers this week will suffer buyers remorse when they start pricing parts, restoration costs just to make them run, nevermind concours condition.
You are correct.After all is said and done and after good money after bad is spent getting those cars driveable and later sellable in the real world market they will quickly see they will get only pennies on the dollar from what they have spent.Most of those cars will never be worth anything close to what money has been put into them.Some people don't know evidently that in buying anything it is not what it cost as much as what it will cost to replace it.Any of those junker rusted cars can be replaced today for a fraction of what they paid.In fact mostly likely several good runners can be purchased today for what the non runner cost. Its not like any of those cars are rare or that old.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

You are correct.After all is said and done and after good money after bad is spent getting those cars driveable and later sellable in the real world market they will quickly see they will get only pennies on the dollar from what they have spent.Most of those cars will never be worth anything close to what money has been put into them.Some people don't know evidently that is buying anything it is not what it cost as much as what it will cost to replace it.Any of those junker rusted cars can be replaced today for a fraction of what they paid.In fact mostly likely several good runners can be purchased today for what the non runner cost. Its not like any of those cars are rare or that old. Buy hey. Some people like seeing and buying old cars at any price and thats ok. Others like me like watching fools throw away their money.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
While this was a great event, it was all hype.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Well the old adage applies here,. "a 'Fool and His Money' are soon parted". Those vehicles will cost as much as most paid for to bring them to original condition. Therefore they'll have paid more than double what the vehicles were worth.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I'm calling the top of the classic car market. It feel too much like when my co-worker who labeled bottles for a living got approved for a 400K loan or when a sock puppet led a company with a billion dollar market cap.

My dad is 65 and has a '69 Chevy camaro as a daily driver but he is getting too old to work on it and finding someone else to work on it is getting harder and more expensive.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
I'm calling the top of the classic car market.
I'll bet that most of these cars will not see the light of day again. The buyers will get them home and discover that the condition is so poor that a proper major restoration will be far beyond reason. Some may start a restoration themselves, but the skills required will be beyond the capability of most to do a first class job with bodywork/paint/chrome/interior trim/carpets/upholstery. Not to mention that in the humidity and temperatures of the area where they were stored, there's going to be a lot of rust inside the engines, hydraulic systems, diff's, and transmissions ... as well, gas tanks and metal fuel lines. Grease/oil seals and rubber components will be dried out and not functional. With most of those engines not having been started for years, the moisture/acid buildup on surfaces which didn't see fresh lube has got to have cylinder walls, piston rings, valves & guides, camshafts and followers ... all looking pretty poor.

A few buyers will have the ability and resources to do the proper restorations, but out of hundreds of cars, probably not more than a few dozen will reach that point.

Overall, I think that this auction will have little effect upon the classic car market. Few of these cars will ever have any real value there at the major auctions.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 AM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Overall, I think that this auction will have little effect upon the classic car market. Few of these cars will ever have any real value there at the major auctions.
This single auction isn't important but it could open up a flood of similar auction/sales of classic cars and flood the market. The generation that bought these cars are retiring/passing away and they will sell these cars. The question is who will buy them?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
... The generation that bought these cars are retiring/passing away and they will sell these cars. The question is who will buy them?
I just met a retired guy from NZ who has bought 3 'rods' from USA this yr. Cheapest was $139,000 + shipping. USA collector cars seem to fetch a good price overseas (Good thing, cuz there is more money 'off-shore'.)

I would suggest many USA 'recreational' collectors will be going without. (or selling out)

Collector cars have been a very good investment in USA since 1999.
I would not be surprised to see some 'leveling off',

It does seem a pity to have a $150,000 car that just might be too expensive to enjoy. (for many of us).

I took a ride in a friend's GT40 that he has 2x that amount into. It was impressive for a Sunday drive in the countryside, but...

I'm glad Pierce, NE is back on the map. But certainly not the adventure of the 2008 Bridgeport, NE equipment sale (2500+ tractors + lots of trucks and accessories). I used to love to roam that bone yard.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
This single auction isn't important but it could open up a flood of similar auction/sales of classic cars and flood the market. The generation that bought these cars are retiring/passing away and they will sell these cars. The question is who will buy them?
I read an article that said you will always love the cars that were popular when you were in high school....so as each generation dies off so does that generation of cars. The 32 Ford guys are going now, the other problem is the younger kids could care less about cars, even new ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive