Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times

Advertisements

It is so easy to sell your car that it's scary. Go to a forum featuring your vehicle to start. You can use craigslist. Why people are so happy to get ripped off by trading/selling to a dealer is beyond me. It's flat out retarded. You can get up to $3k more methinks from doing it yourself. I couldn't be comfortable flushing $1k down the drain let alone up to $3k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 AM

359 posts, read 779,596 times
I was offered 15.5k by carmax
The same day I was offered 16k by Texas Direct Auto

I went to about 7 other dealers (yeah lots of driving) the same day and one quoted me 12k for my 06 car with 45k miles while he was asking 21k for his 04 with 88k miles.

I eventually found one dealer who was willing to do 18.5k. I took the money and ran.
The car was listed for 21k the next week. ANd was sold soon after.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

The only problem will be dealing with the phone calls after you have sold it.
I'll answer the phone a hundred times for a hundred bucks.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,740 times
I once purchased a car off craigslist from a private used car dealership that was selling it. worked out well. You should use that site to see what your competition is and get a feel for asking prices.

If you have the time and want to deal with the hassle, selling it privately is not a bad option,
especially for a common, well maintained car. You will have a big customer base. It cant
hurt to get the carmax price for parameters.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM

30 posts, read 120,147 times
I've sold to dealers. They won't give you what you would get by selling privately, but you will get your money the same day that you sell it. If you're Blue Book value is 4,500, a dealer will probably pay you 3000-3500, but if you need the money, and don't have the time to wait around for someone to buy it, this might be a good option. However, before selling to a dealer, consider the fact that you will get more money for your car on a trade-in for something else. They very well might give you the 4,500 Blue Book value if you are putting a down payment on a brand new Pick-up for 30,000.
If you are going to sell your car or cash value at a lot, drive around town for a couple of weeks first, talking to other lots. In a two week period you should be able to talk to 10-20 lots. The rest is elementary-go to the highest bidder.
I've sold several cars to lots. Most lots are fair about their dealings, but they still will not give you the full value. Not only will your car cost them money by taking up lot space, but they will also have to put a thousand dollars into the car to make it look nice enough to sell it to future customers. Most lots will probably put new tires on the car, as well as new rugs, and a tune-up. After everything is said and done, it may take several months to sell the car.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
It's a Honda. Price it right and it should go immediately. I always sell my old cars private party. I'm not going to give it to the dealer for thousands less than I can sell it for myself.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I think you will get a poor offer from any dealer. Much easier to set the price well below kbb. You'll sell it in a flash (especially since it's a Honda) you won't feel guilty (because even if something goes wrong the buyer got a deal) and you'll still clear more than selling to a dealer.

The only problem will be dealing with the phone calls after you have sold it. Good thing you're moving.

I use a special e-mail account for selling on Craig's List and I activate an old cell phone for 10 or 15 dollars. That way my personal e-mail and phone aren't tied up with junk mail and calls.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
I've done it a few times, but usually just with cars that are in high demand, so the dealer doesn't try to screw me. I sold a Jeep Liberty once that I bought for $6k, after driving it 2 years I sold it for $6200 at a dealer. Private party I probably could have gotten $6500. To me, that was not enough money to justify the delay and have to deal with all the tire kickers.

Recently we took our MDX to Carmax to see what they would give us. It was a complete waste of time, we ended up selling private party for $5k more. So it really just depends.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
A dealer buys at wholesale prices and sells at retail prices. The difference is his profit which is why he is in business.

There are categories of dealers from the "buy here, pay here" types in shabbytown to the exotic types who deal in collector cars.

I have sold a number of cars using Auto Trader while living in several different towns.

A car is very handy for hauling groceries, etc. Are you sure you want to give it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive