Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 722,499 times

Advertisements

I'll give ya the $7.39 "Fellow CityData-er" discount!

Subaru : WRX ~Babied Beast- 1 owner, garaged, FREE GOODIES! ~ in Subaru | eBay Motors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 77,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I would go with a GTi. They really do everything well.
I second that.

Also - Mini Cooper or the new Audi A3 or A4.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
CPO'd 2012 BMW 328i.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Hello,

I am about to have a 45 minute commute each way to work. I think the best way to make it a pleasant experience other then a helicopter would be a fun but efficient car. I would spend up to $30k and would like something sporty (prefer 4 door but 2 door okay) that gets good hwy mpg (hope 30+) that is also comfortable for a 6' tall 40 year old (no boy racer). It will be in Florida so no winter weather and 90% of it will be highway.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks.
It might help us if you were to tell us what your current ride is.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I have been searching for one too. I am looking to buy a stick shift, am 6' tall and in my 40's, my budget is lower, so I have midlife crisis on a budget. I also need to fit 3 passengers at times.
I think the Scion FRS is a great car, just too low for me. The rear seat is also an issue-it is more targeted to the younger generation and is a bit out there (At least for my work's parking lot). I test drove the Mazda 3, the VW Golf (regular, but they did not have the stick) and the Ford Focus Hatch. The VW was the nicest, but none with manual in my area and also not sure about long-term reliability-those who have had good luck with them are noted/don't post, because there are a lot of others out there where the opposite has happened to them.

So at this point I am just waiting it out for a good deal on a CPO Mazda 3 vs Ford Focus. Very difficult to find one with a stick. I might buy a brand new Focus. If my budget was in your range, I would go for the Focus ST.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
2014 Mazda3. Lots of interior goodies and features, up to 39 MPG highway with the 2.5L and i-ELOOP system, or 41 MPG with the 2.0L. The 2.5L has more goodies though.

The 2014 Kia Forte5 is a close second, but it's more comfortable than fun, and doesn't get as good fuel economy. The fan-cooled driver's seat might be worthwhile in Florida though.

Chevy Cruze is a nice comfy highway cruiser too, and now comes with a diesel for MY2014. 46 MPG highway. Sedan only though, because GM hath decreed Americans don't buy hatchbacks. Guess all those FOcuses and Golfs and GTIs and Mazda3s are Mirages. Narf.

You could probably get a good deal on a VW GTI, but that's because it'll be redesigned next year.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Don't buy diesels. None of them is sporty.
Don't buy Mazda. We have Mazdaspeed 3 in garage. You'll regret it.
Don't buy Subarus as they suck on gas and have major engine issues.
Koreans? Sporty? Joke must be..

Here's your boy toy:

Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Here's your boy toy:

I've been drinking a bit tonight and that appears to be a Scion Fr-S to my drunken eyes. What is it?????

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:

Here's your boy toy:
So your solution is to tell him to buy a Toyota? Gimme a break.

The regular Mazdas are fine. The Speeds did have more mechanical issues. Then again they were nearly completely different cars with a lot of exclusive parts, including the entire drivetrain.

Diesels can be annoying because they run out of breath at high RPMs. On the other hand they have a monsterous amount of low-end torque, which in its own right is fun, and really kicks you in the pants.

Koreans are trying to be sporty. I wouldn't so much say a joke as sort of one of those sad funnies where you see the skinny kid try to lift the heavy barbell? You know he's going to fail but gosh darn it, he keeps trying, no matter how ill equipped he might be.

Then again, I never said the Kia was sporty.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 PM

17,265 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
BMW 335d is a nice piece, the A6 TDI w/ the sport package is a really nice package also. New diesels have nothing in common with the 70s/80s diesels.......btw Audi won Lemans with a diesel so that seems pretty sporty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive