Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,719,621 times

Advertisements

Why do people do this??? I was heading down the highway last night, and following behind this car for about two or three miles, both of us doing highway speed, and his break lights were on the whole time. How do people drive like this and not burn out your breaks once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,181,778 times
Some people just get all the lucky breaks.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Why do people do this??? I was heading down the highway last night, and following behind this car for about two or three miles, both of us doing highway speed, and his break lights were on the whole time. How do people drive like this and not burn out your breaks once a month.
First of all, it is remotely possible that there was a malfunction in a switch, and this person's brake lights were
just "stuck on." Remotely possible...

That said, there ARE people who burn through brakes like nobody's business. We've got two repeat customers who do this - both elderly - and both burn through brake pads every 5k-8k miles. I've repeatedly talked to them about how they could drive differently, but they keep riding their brakes, and needing them replaced regularly. I've long-since begun using life-time pads, so I only charge them labor. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it is their car, their money, and their business. I've tried, but they're happy doing what they're doing.

I wish everything in life was that easy.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,719,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
First of all, it is remotely possible that there was a malfunction in a switch, and this person's brake lights were
just "stuck on." Remotely possible...

That said, there ARE people who burn through brakes like nobody's business. We've got two repeat customers who do this - both elderly - and both burn through brake pads every 5k-8k miles. I've repeatedly talked to them about how they could drive differently, but they keep riding their brakes, and needing them replaced regularly. I've long-since begun using life-time pads, so I only charge them labor. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it is their car, their money, and their business. I've tried, but they're happy doing what they're doing.

I wish everything in life was that easy.
I was thinking malfunction too, but when he got to the on ramp where people were merging he would get on and off the breaks.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I was thinking malfunction too, but when he got to the on ramp where people were merging he would get on and off the breaks.
Gotcha.

You know, with my own parents & in-laws all in the 80-year old range, I'm beginning to have a bit more of a tolerant attitude toward many of those drivers. If the 85-year old guy is riding his left foot on his brake pedal the whole time he's driving, but that's ALL he's doing that is unsafe, I consider that a victory! It annoys the crap out of me if he's driving 10 mph below the speed limit, but it's not the end of my world.

The problem is when they cross that line, and have become dangerous drivers but aren't aware of it. Or are aware of it, but refuse to stop driving - or at least confine their driving to their own neighborhood. That's when tough decisions have to be made.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Having the brake (note the correct spelling) lights on all the time is dangerous. I did have a brake light switch fail. Once I was made aware of it, I got it fixed immediately. Whatever is causing it needs to be fixed ASAP. If it's an elderly driver riding the brakes (note spelling) then their keys need to be taken away.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times
i always figured it was those pesky "2 foot drivers", when you could follow a car uphill and their brake light would still be on as they accelerated lol.
Whether intentional or not, it can pose a hazard for those behind them, how will one know if the brakes are truly being applied? I tend to give those drivers a wider berth when i'm behind them

Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,842,465 times
People here in the DC area seemingly love their brakes and I have come to the conclusion they love to stop at traffic lights as well. It must make them feel comfortable to be able to text or other things they shouldn't while driving. I remember when tuning the radio was a big deal. Another thing I find annoying is when people get to a green traffic light they brake before proceeding through the intersection or making a turn. How fast can they be going?
The all-time best is people who have to jump in front of you in traffic - without signaling - only to slam on their brakes and make a right turn - all this without signaling. If you hit them it's your fault.

We have speeding cameras and traffic light cameras in place to catch law breakers so the police don't have to stoop so low. These devices are also bring in much tax revenue so they are permanent fixtures in the area.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,585,665 times
I refuse to ride my brakes... We have some of the biggest hills you'll ever see here in the PNW... the kind that you can start at the top and without hitting the gas or brake just coast to the bottom and when you get there you'll be doing 80-100 mph.

But yet the speed limit on these hills is 35-40 mph.

I refuse to ride my brakes all the way to the bottom.. I generally coast till I hit 60...then a quick brake and continue. I've seen cops multiple times and haven't had an issue.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,589,442 times
They may go through brakes pretty fast, but the brake lights on some cars illuminate with hardly any pressure on the pedal, so even though the lights are on, pressure may not be exerted on the brakes. Driving behind that is annoying as hell and potentially dangerous. They might as well not have any brake lights; you really have no idea if they slam on the brakes except for the rapid deceleration of their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive