Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Thanks GL! It sounds like you know this model pretty well.
I did recently change the sway bar links on the car. Everything else is looking good, except for the strut mounts, which I haven't inspected yet, but the ride indicates they might likely need a change.

One last question for you: Bilstein or KYB GR2 (Excel)? Both are low pressure shocks. Just wondering if paying nearly twice as much for the Bilsteins would be worth it.
Thanks!
If your strut mounts are shot, you'll hear them. But even if they're not, and you're "in there anyway," consider replacing them.

I hesitate to say which shocks you should buy, because preference plays such a big part. The Billsteins are typically associated with & used by the "tuners" who want a stiffer "sport ride." If it was my car, I'd probably go with the cheaper shocks. But that is just my OPINION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
One last question for you: Bilstein or KYB GR2
Bilstien is a top brand and usually what tuners would install. KYB is a quality aftermarket brand. I usually rate it equivalent to OEM equipment.

I have experience with both brands. For your situaton, it sounds as if the KYB's will be adequate.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Actually, unless this car is different than the Galants I've seen, there is a spring at the top of the shock absorber. It's not a typical strut, but you still have that coil spring to deal with.
I stand corrected.

2001 MITSUBISHI GALANT GLX SE 2000CC REAR SHOCK ABSORBER RE.wmv - YouTube

Very true about the spring compressors. This seems like a simple job for me, but I don't understand the OP's abilities and don't want to mislead him into getting into a situation he isn't comfortable with. Some cars i've dealt with with rear shocks could be removed without even touching the spring or needing to jack the car up even. Guess this isn't the case here.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
A big thanks to all for your help!

An impact wrench (which I don't have) would make the job go quicker on all four shock/spring assemblies. I know I could do the job of compressing the springs, but I just don't like the idea of sitting next to the potential danger for that long a time, relying on a compressor tool to keep me and my fingers safe.

I think I'll buy the strut mounts and shocks and find someone who will do the labor with shop equipment.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Honestly the Monroe units aren't bad. They will most likely rid a *tad* bit softer than the originals but that isn't always a bad thing unless you really want the "sport" feel.

To save you might be able to find a mobile mechanic who will come out and work with the parts you buy. With an impact I can have the struts out of my car in about 15 minutes for both of them. With the quick struts, you can be in an out in well under an hour for both sides.

Also look at new hardware. If the torque to mount the struts on the knuckle is a "ft-lb + angle" you should really buy new bolts/nuts as they are torque to yield and will be distorted.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
For what it's worth, I used these spring compressors:

OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor - Amazon.com

The sliding pins lock the compressors on to the springs and that was the primary reason I went with those.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Some shops view asking them to do that like you taking a steak to your favorite restaurant and asking them to cook it up for you. Others may see it differently. If I were a shop I would refuse, more from the liability standpoint than the loss of profit standpoint. If you hurt or kill yourself when installing something I worked on, guess who they are coming after ?

Don

Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some shops view asking them to do that like you taking a steak to your favorite restaurant and asking them to cook it up for you. Others may see it differently. If I were a shop I would refuse, more from the liability standpoint than the loss of profit standpoint. If you hurt or kill yourself when installing something I worked on, guess who they are coming after ?

Don
I don't understand the liability argument you're making here.

At any rate, I was quoted 5 hours labor for shocks and mounts and they would use O'Reilly's or Autozone's "spectra", which were at $117 each. I'd rather go with $50 KYB's.
I supply better parts and ask them to do the labor. Seems like they still come out ahead and I get a better suspension system.

And I bet they can actually get it done under 5 hours with shop equipment.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
I don't understand the liability argument you're making here.

At any rate, I was quoted 5 hours labor for shocks and mounts and they would use O'Reilly's or Autozone's "spectra", which were at $117 each. I'd rather go with $50 KYB's.
I supply better parts and ask them to do the labor. Seems like they still come out ahead and I get a better suspension system.

And I bet they can actually get it done under 5 hours with shop equipment.
The potential liability problem here is HUGE. The reason you don't see it is probably because you don't think that way. But a lot of people won't hesitate to sue for any and every possible reason.

A lot of shops won't let you bring your own parts in. We buy the parts wholesale, and take a mark-up on them. I don't take much of a mark-up, but some shops go as high as 100%. The bottom line is the bottom line.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM

I guess that is the price of doing business.
I'm not in the least litigious, so it never crossed my mind. (And I hope by saying that, that the gods don't screw with me now to test me on it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive