Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM

491 posts, read 1,368,436 times

Advertisements

I change mine when:
A. I've noticed a decrease in air flow
B. The air smells funky
C. it's been a while since the last change

It's usually D. All of the above.

How long the filter lasts is ONLY dependent on how much air has traveled through it and how dirty that air was. It has nothing to do with calendar days for mileage. If you drive 5000 miles a year and 1/2 the year with the fan off and and the windows down, you do not need to change the filter as often as someone running AC/Heat all year putting on 50k miles.

Understand this filter has nothing to do with the performance of the car. As long as some air is coming out of the vents, there is no harm in running a filter that is way overdue for a change. I suppose if the filter was completely blocked maybe the fan could overheat with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,387,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cars that don't are horribly designed. The stuff from outside like leaves pollen get into the evaporator and corrode it.
My cars don't have evaporators either

Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,842,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cars that don't are horribly designed. The stuff from outside like leaves pollen get into the evaporator and corrode it.
Oh? Then I wonder why my evaporator was still fine when I redid my AC system, after 20 years and 250,000 miles? It was a little dirty, but nothing was bad.

IMO a cabin filter is something nice to have, as it does keep out some dirt and grime, but it is not a requirement. Now if they could install an anti-skunk filter, that would be great!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,485,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Exactly! The labor required to inspect the filter is the same as the labor to replace it. (I suppose it takes 1 minute to open the package for the new filter).

BTW - I think Honda dealers are particularly aggressive at times selling service that people don't need. Most Hondas just don't need much service so the service department tries to get money from you somehow.

Their part prices are totally messed up as well. So their filter might cost $60. See my recent experience:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...er-prices.html

I learned about this when I went their for a recall. She came back and told me brake pads needed to be replaced. As I do everything myself and knew what she was talking about I refused but I thought let's check their prices. Brake pads = $194 (this is from part center so I am not sure if they'd use the same) she quoted me $390 for rotor machining and front brake pads. Just to have some fun I asked her that outside I saw that there was a deal on brake pads and replacement was just $100. She said yes but this includes rotor machining and labor - so go figure $290 for rotor machining

If you think you have a good dealer just wait long enough and they will pull their trick on you.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,810,223 times
The video showed a 2008. How about a 2003 Accord? Same ? It is dusty here in West TX and I do think we need more attention paid to filters. However, I don't like paying what the dealer wants for them either.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 PM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
The filter in my g35 usually gets dirty pretty quick. I change it once a year. It's $15 and takes me 10 minutes to do.

Usually when I change the filter, I write the miles and date on the side of it. I do this with oil filters, air filters, etc. I do my own maintainence, and record everything

Anyway, car was in for warranty work and I get the typical "free inspection" check where everything comes back red. Service writer is trying to sell me AWD service, cabin air filter, etc. I had just changed the cabin air filter a week earlier. The date was written on the side of the filter so that if the tech had truely inspected the filter, he would have seen it.

Needless to say, I now seriously doubt they inspect anything at all.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,914,907 times
Since a cabin air filter was developed to be used with the vent option on your A/C unit and I never use that I use the recirculate I have never ever replaced one.. That being said I have only had 2 cars both of which I still have that even had a cabin air filter....

Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
. Now if they could install an anti-skunk filter, that would be great!

The CAF on the '03 F150 doesn't keep that odor out. I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Since a cabin air filter was developed to be used with the vent option on your A/C unit and I never use that I use the recirculate I have never ever replaced one.. That being said I have only had 2 cars both of which I still have that even had a cabin air filter....
Simple physics would lead you to believe that air coming from the vents gets pulled in through the blower. Even in recirc mode. That air gets pulled in somewhere. Your vehicles likely don't leave pavement, which is fine. That reminds me to check the CAF in the truck. It's been on some dusty plant/refinery roads since I installed it.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,842,141 times
I just decided to check mine, it has been about 22 months and 30,000 miles, and IMO it does not look too bad just yet compared to the extra new one I have. The original one had all kinds of crud in it and it had a serious coating of dirt. This one is just barely dirty.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:23 PM

4,029 posts, read 2,096,534 times
Wow, trbstang----so you are going to put that back into your car? Of course I don't know whether it will hurt it---I guess not---at most, just not get your inside air as "clean." With you taking it out just to check due to this thread, that shows that it's not this huge job that the dealer charges lots of $$$$ for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive