Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Love it!
Nice!

Here are my "hybrid" garage queens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Awesome. Used to have a Supra myself.

That GTS you've got there is the best looking Viper I think they ever made IMO.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Awesome. Used to have a Supra myself.

That GTS you've got there is the best looking Viper I think they ever made IMO.
I agree. Love the look of the GTS. You can't see it but it has silver stripes. Night and day from the Supra as far as drive though. Prefer the Supra by far. Contemplating selling the GTS and getting a G but just can't bring myself to do it (yet).

The Supra, that one will never get sold. Bought in 98' and love it too much to ever sell it.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Do you think most people who drive very expensive card can truly afford them? Granted I know many are leased and these payments are a bit less. Just wondering what percentage can really afford it vs just trying to impress.
It depends where you see the car parked.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
You should NEVER have a car payment unless you are truly destitute.
It's overly-simplistic advice like this that perpetuates a whole slew of financial illiterates.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Funny you mention that. There are used auto dealers called "buy here pay here" which serve a consumer segment who have limited funds and/or poor credit. And they charge rather usurious interest rates.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Austin Texas has many people that drive luxury brands and high end brands. Most of the people I know that drive these kinds of cars/vehicles can afford them, whether leased or purchased. I think some people, in the young professional demographic, spend a disproportionate amount of income on cars. These are the people that drive 3-series.

I think lots of these drivers are lifestyle drivers - and they lease a new German car every three years. That's usually the cheapest way to never drive anything older than three years.
I hate that this is the stigma of a young professional driving a 3-series. I'm 28, drive a 2006 330xi which is owned by me, not the bank, and I drive it because I love how it drives. I would say, though, that the total cost of the car is not a disproportionate amount of my income...

This is probably the main reason my next car will be a used CR-V or Accord, and I'll buy something older that is still fun to drive as a weekend car.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Well, that's stupid. Saving up for a car or making car payments are exactly the same thing for your budget. The only difference is when you get to use your car.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Well, that's stupid. Saving up for a car or making car payments are exactly the same thing for your budget. The only difference is when you get to use your car.
Not making car payments will put you way ahead of the game.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Not making car payments will put you way ahead of the game.
If you're putting $300-400 aside each month to save up for a car, your budget is exactly the same as if you are making $300-400 in car payments. Seriously. Your budget doesn't care why that money is being set aside, only that it is.

I've paid for cars in cash, I've financed them with loans and I've leased them. The budget does NOT care either way. In fact, in some ways, car payments are better due to not tying up all your cash assets in one spot. If you have $10-20k in cash, keep that cash as liquid assets and make payments instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive