Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times

Advertisements

I am a Honda man,but if the Santa Fe saved you,that's what I'd go back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM

64 posts, read 134,009 times
8k could probably get you a <02' 4x4 4runner. Extremely reliable, proven SUV. There are a few stick shifts out there too!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
The Saturn Vue was mentioned and it is also a very good choice. GM's Saturn Vue came with a Honda engine for several years. Also, could get a Honda transmission it.

Saturn Vue 2006 SUV 6500 OBO

Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
eek, I sell used auto parts for a living and I could retire if everyone who owns a Vue bought their needed used engine and tranny from me, huge high failure rate. JMHO, YMMV.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
Yeh, I'm leaning toward going back to my trusty Santy, or trying my first Honda. The disappointment with my current Toyota is too fresh for me to want another one. And again, I have lost all faith in US-made. I can get a two-year-newer Santa Fe over a CRV for about the same price. It'll probably boil down to the right ad on Craigslist at the right time.

Thanks, guys.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I wild say Land Cruiser, but they are going to be much older and thirstier than a CR-V. The CR-V is a well made vehicle that is quite reliable too. A neighbor has a Santa Fe that they have owned since new and has been relatively trouble-free for 190k miles, three boys, and two nannies. Their older son drives it, and it is still running well at the hands of a sixteen year-old. I am not a Hyundai fan, but the Santa Fe seems decent.

A friend had an offset head-on with a careless driver in a Santa Fe and it performed well in the accident. He was able to walk away with a minor wrist sprain from holding the wheel during the crash.

The Subaru in your price/year range are the bad head gasket years. However, if you were to search for one that is a one owner with records, and has had a proper head gasket repair, you should have many more miles left in the vehicle. Subaru courts an affluent customer base, similar to Volvo, so maintenance issues are generally not a concern, i.e., they tend not to neglect maintenance and repairs. I would not buy a multiple owner Subaru from that era because of the lack of records and service history including timing belt and head gasket.

$8k might be low for a good Volvo too, since you would want 2004 or newer, one owner, XC70 with service history. There were transfer case issues and transmission issues with early XCs, such that a used example that has not had repairs can be very expensive to keep on the road. The Honda is perhaps the easiest on your list.

One other vehicle might be an early Toyota Highlander. They are very reliable, overall, and there was an AWD version available. I am not sure where they would rank price/mileage/year in your area when compared to other options, but might be worth a look.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Nice assessment, bmwguy -- much appreciated.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
well said, BMW, but do remember the driveshafts on those XC's do fail and nobody will ship them used, not even for 600 bux. The Highlander is an excellent recommendation, but Toyo has spooked the OP so probably the SFe wins. JMHO.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Update: Well, I posted earlier in a different thread that our budget for a SUV was blown when hubby's Jag needed $3k worth of work. Then, at the beginning of December, our other car's engine blew. a Buick Le Sabre with 120,000 miles. It was a hand-me-down car and no great loss, other than reinforcing my aversion to American cars. That left us in a bind in the middle of two back-to-back snowstorms, so we cobbled together money from other sources and resumed our search. We ended up with a 2007 Santa Fe LE with 86,200 miles on it, in excellent condition .... sunroof, third-row seating, heated seats, etc. I've been reading up on problems with this model and looks like the worst is the fuel sending units going bad. I am thrilled to be back in a Santa Fe! Thanks again for all the advice; guess I just wanted to go back to our tried and true model...

Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If you really need best mpg, you may consider Ford (brrr) Escape Nybrid only cuz it's rebadged Mazda Tribute. Ugly and retarded, but does over 30mpg.
you dont like the escape but you like the mazda? and by the way its the other way around, the mazda is a rebadged escape.

to the OP, you might consider some fo the AWD volvos on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive