Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The front bumper, rear bumper, etc, is made of plastic.

It all bolts on to the same unit body.

I'm still waiting for you to learn to read and comprehend this discussion. Take your time, it appears you need it.
Id love to see you bolt an escalade lights and grill on to a gmc hood and front fenders. Why dont you run on down to the plant and try it real quick...

the hood, the front fenders are changed slightly to accomadate the fascias and they are made of metal. When I typed that I meant to say "Some different sheetmetal" it figures an e-genius like you would take that and run with it as if it is some huge victory but again you fail.

But tell you what, sport - ill let you have that one so the score isnt so lopsided.

now you can go to backtracking that the "exact same car" (your words) has a different engine different drive system in the AWDs better suspension better leather better ICE better lighting and some different sheetmetal and MORE then a Tahoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM

359 posts, read 779,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever driven a BMW and Caddy? Totally different. What Caddy could compare to a 330xi? M5? M3? Then you have the gangster Escalades running around. One of the most primitive cars in the world and very dangerous since they can't avoid any accidents, they just plow forward hitting whatever or worse yet, flipping over. Come on, please don't compare Caddy to BMW.
I am not a Cadillac fan, nor do I like BMWs.

But let me tell you something. You're living under the rock.

The ATS is giving the new 3 series a run for it money. In all departments. Practically.

The CTS-V is basically faster than the M3 on the ring. Offers more power. More equipment and is right below M3 pricing.

Cadillac is a legitimate BMW rival.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Id love to see you bolt an escalade lights and grill on to a gmc hood and front fenders. Why dont you run on down to the plant and try it real quick...

the hood, the front fenders are changed slightly to accomadate the fascias and they are made of metal. When I typed that I meant to say "Some different sheetmetal" it figures an e-genius like you would take that and run with it as if it is some huge victory but again you fail.

But tell you what, sport - ill let you have that one so the score isnt so lopsided.

now you can go to backtracking that the "exact same car" (your words) has a different engine different drive system in the AWDs better suspension better leather better ICE better lighting and some different sheetmetal and MORE then a Tahoe.
Well, at least you're consistent with your ignorance... I guess that's... something.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Curtis,

I don't think you have driven a Caddy recently. Let alone a BMW. The ATS is solid effort by Cadillac. Read up on it and you will be surprised. They are releasing a V version later this year. So, who knows if it will compete with the M3. The 330xi hasn't been made in few years. Off the top of my head, 2005. The top of the line 3 series (non M) is the 335i. Different beast. Twin turbo. The CTS is new for 2014 and just came out so I doubt you have driven one.

Just ignore the Esclade it is not meant to compete with BMW, same goes for the XTS.

I am not a Caddy fan but I at least acknowledge that they are now making some competitive cars.
The most recent 330xi is a 2006. I know, I have one as I was afraid of the turbo/fuel pump issues on the 2007s at the time. Now I wish I'd have bought the 335, but I digress.

The E90 3 series "feels" like a better handling/more direct car than the current (I think it's called F30) 3 series, and it also "feels" better than the ATS. I don't think it actually handles better by the numbers, though. A lot of folks think they lost something by going to electronic steering. I've heard the same thing about the new Porsche GT3 - lost out on feel but the actual performance is better. The current 3 series and the ATS probably feel similar, if I had to guess (I haven't driven an ATS, but have driven the 3 series), and probably by the numbers handle similarly. The current 3 series apparently handles as well as the prior, so that would put them all in the same group.

That said, I'm a German car guy that really has to admit that the upcoming ATS-V would get a good hard look from me. I'm not thrilled with the direction BMW went in with this latest generation, they keep getting bigger and heavier and seem to be built with the average person in mind vs. a driving experience oriented person. Caddy has come a long way in the past few years especially.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Cadillacs are a lot better than the ones from the 80's but they lack the mystique of the ones of the 50's and 60's. The ones today are more performance oriented and have plenty of luxury aimed at the younger driver who may otherwise buy an Audi or BMW. The Cadillac of the past was aimed at the older drivers who wanted pure comfort and luxury. I think Cadillac lost some of its appeal when they started to use other GM engines in their vehicles. The V-8-6-4, HT 4100, and Diesel engines designed by Cadillac were very problematic and certainly tarnished their image. The downsized bodies also turned away the traditional Cadillac buyer. It looks like Cadillac is building better cars since their performance is on par with comparable Mercedes, Infinity, and Lexus.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
I still fantasize about tooling around in a 59 Eldorado someday..

Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Cadillac prices the Chevy Volt based ELR starting at $76k not including destination, other fees or incentives. Everyone here can make up their own minds but I think that this is madness considering you're basically looking at Tesla Model S territory. The Tesla is a car that doesn't share its drivetrain with a $35k Chevy. $45k-$50k would have been a good sweet spot for buyers who wanted something nicer than a Volt but not quite as spendy as the Tesla.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/11...d-from-75-000/

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 10-11-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Cadillac prices the Chevy Volt based ELR starting at $76k not including destination, other fees or incentives. Everyone here can make up their own minds but I think that this is madness considering you're basically looking at Tesla Model S territory. The Tesla is a car that doesn't share its drivetrain with a $35k Chevy. $45k-$50k would have been a good sweet spot for buyers who wanted something nicer than a Volt but not quite as spendy as the Tesla.

2014 Cadillac ELR priced from $75,000* [w/poll]
This is stupid, for the same money why would anybody purchase a spruced up Volt instead of Tesla?

GM management learned their lesson: when GM will fail again, there will be more tax money to the rescue...

Last edited by 28173; 10-11-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever driven a BMW and Caddy? Totally different. What Caddy could compare to a 330xi? M5? M3? Then you have the gangster Escalades running around. One of the most primitive cars in the world and very dangerous since they can't avoid any accidents, they just plow forward hitting whatever or worse yet, flipping over. Come on, please don't compare Caddy to BMW.
2014 Cadillac ATS-V – Future Cars – Car and Driver

Car and Driver tested this thing in latest issue and it sounds very good. Though I haven't owned a GM car since a 1969 Z-28, and I am still annoyed by the way the government handled to GM resurrection, I am seriously interested in this car. If they do a wagon it's a done deal.

I'm tiring of Audi's unwillingness to import the Avant big body and I'm thinking the ATS-V TT is cool enough, even as a sedan, and probably ends up cheaper than the Audi S6 by enough to make it worthwhile. I'm looking forward to checking this out soon.

This ain't my Gramp's '58 or Dad's '61 Caddy, or an (shudder) Escalade . Uh, and I've owned a few BMWs and Audis...this Caddy could be good enough for me....TBD.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
This is stupid, for the same money why would anybody purchase a spruced up Volt instead of Tesla?

GM management learned their lesson: when GM will fail again, there will be more tax money to the rescue...
The only time the Volt makes more sense is on long road trips where the range extender comes in. The vast majority of people who will buy these cars will spend 99% of their time commuting within the range of a Tesla so this advantage becomes fairly null.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive