Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

Over the weekend, I replaced a leaking water pump in my 2002 R/T
It wasn't making noise, just a small leak.
Even with the leak, the engine never over heated.
I picked up a new pump (not re-manufactured),coolant, thermostat gasket, serpentine belt, and before installing it, I removed the radiator, and flushed it out completely.
I then drained the block, and flushed it out as well.
Once I had everything installed, the engine runs hot, and I noticed the coolant level in the coolant reservoir never went down.
I didn't add coolant at this point (just water) because I wanted to test the system for leaks.
I filled the radiator and fully expected that to fill the block, thus lowering the level in the reservoir.
As I said, the level in the reservoir stayed the same, and the temp gauge, which always stayed just below the half way mark rose much above the half way point.
When I shut the engine down, I could hear the hot water bubbling in the system.
Also, while running the heater, it only managed to blow semi warm air, not hot as it usually does.
I am really amiss as to what I did, or didn't do.
Any ideas?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
I'm not a pro, but did you check to make sure that the fans are working? Maybe the connection became loose after removing the radiator. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The sounds of water boiling at local hot spots in the engine block on shut-down and the heater only blowing warm air with very hot water in the system are classic signs of an air block in the cooling system or the radiator pressure cap not holding system pressure.

With the system previously cooling properly, it's unlikely that the radiator cap failed during your repair work.

So, you need to bleed out the cooling system. Simply filling the radiator will not accomplish this, especially if you didn't have the bleeder valve open to release air when you were filling the system. I also help burp the system when filling by squeezing the lower radiator hose to help agitate the coolant, so the sloshing around helps dislodge air pockets in the engine.

Typically, after initial filling of the system: Start with the engine cold. Take the pressure cap off the reservoir, crack the bleeder open, put a snug-fitting clear hose on the bleeder and submerge the other end of the hose into the open reservoir that has coolant in it. Start the engine. As the engine gradually warms up and the thermostat gradually opens, flow rate through the system increases and more trapped air will bleed out. Rev the engine periodically. Continue until the engine is close to full operating temp. Shut down, close everything up and you're basically done. Don't over tighten the bleeder - just nice and snug. Make sure the reservoir is well topped-up.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-08-2013 at 02:41 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Yep. Sounds like air trapped in the system. Just need to bleed the air out and top it off.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Air in the system, as others have said.

Sometimes, certain cars can be a little tricky to bleed all the air out of

Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 AM

23 posts, read 56,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Air in the system, as others have said.

Sometimes, certain cars can be a little tricky to bleed all the air out of
x3. Replaced the waterpump in my MOPAR 4.7L and and to bleed it again & again to ensure all the air got out. Solved the problem of coolant level never going down in the res tank and running hot.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
The worst time i had bleeding a system was my dad's 2005 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8. There is something about that motor that likes to trap air at the top of the motor. It took my friend and me almost 3 hours to get to air out.

Not sure what car you have (2002 R/T doesn't help. Could be a Stratus, Neon, Dakota, etc.).

Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've had a car where i literally had to jack the front end up as high as i could on jackstands in order to bleed all the air out. Was a PITA

Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
These other guys have hit it. You've got air in the system. Some cars "bleed" themselves. For others you just have to massage the upper radiator those. Then there are those few that are like the one BostonMike7 had...

Keep your head up. Unless you completely biffed the wp replacement - which I doubt - you're on the right track.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
One last bit of advice learned from experience: when you replace the water pump, thermostat, and flush the radiator -- be SURE to replace your hoses.

Cheap insurance, especially if they are the originals from '02. Hope you got the problem resolved for your car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive