Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM

56 posts, read 93,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You said that you see a lot of Pontiacs available, and asked if they are good cars. There are a lot available because the brand has been discontinued and car buyers usually shy away from discontinued brands. That is good news for you as they should be discounted and thus able to fit into your budget nicely.
o ok, yea i dont care about that, i actually bought a great discontinued car before for cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimywilin' View Post
I have 12k to buy a used car. I want someth in decent shape, reliable, no more than 5-6 yrs old, less than 50k miles. I like spacious, comfortable cruiser type cars. What cars should I consider? How about Chevy Impala? I also see a lot of Pontiacs available. Are they not reliable? Camry is nice, but too popular. Buicks seem great, but they are often above my price range.

Here's a rule or thumb for you.

Good cars are keepers. This is why if you see an abundance of a particular model or make for sale as used vehicles - well, I guess you got the point.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Good cars are keepers. This is why if you see an abundance of a particular model or make for sale as used vehicles - well, I guess you got the point.
well, thats true, but i also see a lot of camrys so that theory is not always true

Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 PM

any big cars i should look at besides buick? i like big cars

Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Quote:
any big cars i should look at besides buick? i like big cars
Panther platform Fords come to mind: Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis possibly Towncars. Yes they are out of production but they are extremely dependable, parts are very inexpensive and will be readily available for years to come. Not the coolest looking cars. Very affordable for low mileage models, stay away from the used police versions, should have lots of highly optioned low mileage one owner examples in almost any area.

Toyota Avalon also comes to mind, again very dependable, but service can get expensive.

Hyundai Genesis sedan is also a possibility, newer model though have not seen too many used versions out there.

Are you mostly interested in domestics or Japanese models? German cars can get expensive real fast when the repair bills come in but drive and ride very well.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Well, I guess that explains why there aren't too many Yugo's for sale.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
Panther platform Fords come to mind: Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis possibly Towncars. Yes they are out of production but they are extremely dependable, parts are very inexpensive and will be readily available for years to come. Not the coolest looking cars. Very affordable for low mileage models, stay away from the used police versions, should have lots of highly optioned low mileage one owner examples in almost any area.

Toyota Avalon also comes to mind, again very dependable, but service can get expensive.

Hyundai Genesis sedan is also a possibility, newer model though have not seen too many used versions out there.

Are you mostly interested in domestics or Japanese models? German cars can get expensive real fast when the repair bills come in but drive and ride very well.
domestics

Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Quote:
domestics
In that case if you want a truly full sized car with decent ride, but not too firm your looking straight at the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis, they are both the same car with the Mercury having slightly better trim bits. Most domestic cars produced within the last few years are midsize or smaller vehicles, designed to compete with Japanese and German makes.

For the Ford version you will want to look at the LX sport, or with Mercury the highline or premiere version. She isn't the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll always take you home! Pictured is the LX sport, yep basically a toned down cop car, again do not buy an old cop car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crownext.jpg
Views:	3086
Size:	662.0 KB
ID:	119465

In the class/type of cars you are requesting and sticking to domestic there are not many cars that will match your query. The Pontiac G8 may fit but are held onto pretty fiercely by their owners good luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 PM

528 posts, read 823,101 times
I leased a 2010 Malibu for a couple of years. It was the base LS model but it was a very nice daily driver. It had all the stuff you need and the 4 cylinder had decent performance. In mostly city driving I averaged a bit over 24 mpg's. The air conditioning and heater unit were awesome, by far the best of any car I have ever owned. It was a nice smooth highway cruiser, an '08 or '09 with less than 50,000 miles should be possible at $12,000. A Dodge Avenger or the Chrysler 200 are two more decent cars that have been vastly improved since they were launched. There are so many options in the mid size arena. A last generation Mazda 6 should also fall into your price range. We have a 2005 6i Sport that has been very dependable in the seven years we have owned it. Plus unlike a lot of cars in that class you can still get a manual if you prefer to row your own gears. Good Luck.

Last edited by xjken; 10-15-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
have you thought about a dodge charger from 2011 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive