Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,189,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've come close, in my driving years, of this happening. It's night time, few street lights, you make a right turn onto a street/highway, and you didn't see the car coming by because they didn't have their headlights on, you hit the car, and the driver, perhaps, suddenly realizes he didn't have his headlights on, so then he puts them on, waiting for the police to arrive.

Police arrive, and I'm trying to tell the police this driver didn't have his headlights on, and would I have a leg to stand on? Would there be a way of proving, by feeling the heat of the headlights, that that this person had recently turned them on?
I still don't understand the scenario. You look to your left to see if any one is coming and since you don't see anyone you make the right turn and enter the street or highway. if a driver was approaching that you didn't see wouldn't they hit you from behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 7,671,363 times
I really hate when people drive without their lights after dusk and before dawn. It happens a lot around here. People think they are so cool driving around without lights. Yeah, you might be able to see just fine . . . but us other drivers can't see you!!! Just one more reason to drive with a dashcam. I use a camera on my bicycle, (because cars and bicycles don't play nicely together). Sounds like I need to find a nice, solid mount so it can be on the dashboard.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
The other night, I was driving to work. And all of a sudden, everyone in my lane came to a screeching halt (I didn't screech, because I don't tailgate - BUT I did hit it fairly quickly and hard as we were going highway speeds 60+ on a 6 lane).

Some dingleberry was going 35 mph in the middle lane with NO LIGHTS ON. So with no taillights, we were all EFFED. You'd come up on him going 30mph faster than he was and wouldn't know until you were right on top of him.

Wtf is wrong with people?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,703,710 times
My friend was making a right turn on to a country road (Speed limit 55mph and no street lights) looked for traffic to be clear, couldn't see anything, then he turns out on to the road and got rear ended by a car that didn't have their lights on.

I don't remember who if any got the ticket, but they insurance of the other driver was on the hook.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,189,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
My friend was making a right turn on to a country road (Speed limit 55mph and no street lights) looked for traffic to be clear, couldn't see anything, then he turns out on to the road and got rear ended by a car that didn't have their lights on.

I don't remember who if any got the ticket, but they insurance of the other driver was on the hook.
Your post is the only way I can see this happening and it would be the other driver that did the damage.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times
I was taught that when encountering someone with out lights after dark, the other driver(s) should flash their lights at the benighted one to remind them to turn on their lights - but lately, this seems ineffective in catching the attention of the light-less drivers. Do they not know this "signal"? Are they DWI? Texting? Or just oblivious, as well as literally in the dark?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 AM

3,633 posts, read 4,766,707 times
You can also get T-boned or hit at an angle on the side if making a right turn. It doesn't have to be a rear ender.

This whole thread I've thought about the community where I live, very wooded with no lights at all. Whenever I make a left onto the main road at night I always think of being T-boned if some idiot has no lights on. It is absolutely impossible to see anything coming from the side.

I also hope that at night time anybody with a bicycle would be using lights as well and if not, at least stop when they come to a crossing road. Once again, there is no way they can be seen because they will not be in the headlights.

I'm not worried about hitting anything at all, it's about being hit by them!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM

18,759 posts, read 27,189,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've come close, in my driving years, of this happening. It's night time, few street lights, you make a right turn onto a street/highway, and you didn't see the car coming by because they didn't have their headlights on, you hit the car, and the driver, perhaps, suddenly realizes he didn't have his headlights on, so then he puts them on, waiting for the police to arrive.

Police arrive, and I'm trying to tell the police this driver didn't have his headlights on, and would I have a leg to stand on? Would there be a way of proving, by feeling the heat of the headlights, that that this person had recently turned them on?

This is why you have a car DVR. You think Russians are stupid to have them on almost all cars?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is why you have a car DVR. You think Russians are stupid to have them on almost all cars?

Not at all, makes for some amusing YouTube videos

Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM

17,378 posts, read 14,906,688 times
Similar situation would be that you rear end someone with no brake lights. If you claim they had no brake lights.. You've destroyed the back end of their car.. Almost guaranteed they don't have brake lights after you hit them.

So, in this state at least(SC), if you rear end someone, you're at fault.. End of statement.

If you pull out at a stop and someone hits you.. They had the right of way.. They probably hit you with the front end of their car.. No way to particularly tell if they were running lights or not. In theory.. The light switch should still be on, but.. Newer cars have auto-lights.

This one.. I'm just waiting for someone to hit me here.. 2013-10-18_1345 - JHannaNCC's library

Look at the image link.. Say you're right behind the truck in the picture.. Notice across the highway, there's a right and left lane on that side. Right lane (From that side) is right turn lane and straight thru.. Left lane is left turn only.

Note that the lights on both sides have NO turn lane light.

Note that on 'my' side of the road, there's only 1 lane.. That truck, we'll assume is making a left.

It makes the left turn, which frees 'me' up to make a right with a green light, and 'I' need to get in the far left lane to get onto the interstate.. However, the far side of the road has to go so far out to make the left, i'm making the right before they're making the left. Left turn must yield.. But, they never stop their turn.

Left turn must yield is the answer at the end of the day. Even if I could have cut them a break.

Same could be considered if I was going straight thru.. The truck makes their left.. I can go straight thru, but the car on the other side 'thinks' that because the truck is turning left, they can make their turn before the next car in line does what they are going to do. If someone gets hit.. It's the car turning left's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive