U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM

225 posts, read 495,077 times

Advertisements

i'd go with the accord, then camry. not sure about ford but the other three are similar in terms of long term reliability. i don't like the quality of the sonata, though. although you can buy a sonata for a thousand or two less than the accord, in the long run, the accord will be worth more than the sonata by more than the initial price difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,548,514 times
I would shop the Accord first - because the 2013 is signficantly improved over the previous and its MPG is impressive in 4 cyl or 6 cyl.

I would probably shop Fusion next, but note that the Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines are underwhelming. The claim of v6 power with 4 cylinder economy is not holding up. The Accord V6 is far quicker than the Fusion 2.0L and gets better gas mileage. The Accord 4 is quicker and more efficient than the Fusion 1.6L.

The best Fusion might just be the hybrid.

I rented an Altima recently and it was perfectly capable. The CVT was not irritating.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM

14,068 posts, read 16,094,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
thanks. You think the new ford fusions will hold up mechanically as well as the foreign cars (toyota, honda, nissan, etc)?
The Fusion has been beating out the Camry/Accord on reliability for quite some time now. The thing is the NEW Fusion is too new to really tell. That's not really any different than the NEW Camry or Accord, but Ford doesn't have the same lengthy track record and still hit and miss on its vehicles as far as reliability goes. It's not a Fiat/Chrysler product, however. I'm not THAT concerned with reliability. I really like the Passat but probably would not buy it (maybe lease, but I drive way too much for leasing to make sense). A Focus or Fusion wouldn't bother me. Likewise with Nissan or Mazda. They're not typically as reliable as Honda or Toyota, but they're reliable enough for my purposes.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,540,672 times
Camry.. V6 if you like the oommff of 0-60 in 6seconds flat or less. Hybrid if you drive a decent amount of miles per year (15-20k+). Still 200 hp and 40+ MPG. Unless you like a pretty stiiff ride stay away from the SE and go for XLE. Since 2012, they, like many cars have been tuned too harsh riding for my taste.Some people do like the ride of an SE, but from someone that spends plenty of time in performance cars and race cars on racetracks, its just stiff to be stiff. It is a fwd midsize sedan afterall, not a go kart or a 88 IROC Z.. lol..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

8,778 posts, read 16,767,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Camry.. V6 if you like the oommff of 0-60 in 6seconds flat or less. Hybrid if you drive a decent amount of miles per year (15-20k+). Still 200 hp and 40+ MPG. Unless you like a pretty stiiff ride stay away from the SE and go for XLE. Since 2012, they, like many cars have been tuned too harsh riding for my taste.Some people do like the ride of an SE, but from someone that spends plenty of time in performance cars and race cars on racetracks, its just stiff to be stiff. It is a fwd midsize sedan afterall, not a go kart or a 88 IROC Z.. lol..
'88 IROC-Z stiff ride? You never experienced the '84 Vette with a Z51 suspension. Brutal, brutal ride.

To answer the OP, who knows? Honda and Toyota have seen their reliability tarnished a little the last few years, Ford and Hyundai have seen their reliability improve the last few years. Buy the car that you like.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:48 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,288,597 times
Ford has made big strides in build quality and reliability in the past 5 or so years. If I were in the midsize sedan market, I'd likely opt for a Ford Fusion based upon my faith in their current product lineup and my experience with their Ford trucks (bullet proof when taken care of).

It seems like the only sedan you're really interested in is the new Fusion...so why not go rent one for a few days and see what you think? I've been seeing numerous Fusions popping up in the Scottsdale area; a neighbor a few houses down from me just traded in his newer 3 Series for a Fusion hybrid...obviously Ford is doing something right.

The long-time champion Camry has been surpassed by the Honda Accord in terms of general reliability, quietness, and comfort and the 2013+ Fusion seems to be stealing a lot of the Accord's thunder offering an attractive design coupled with features that are aren't readily available in any other non-luxury vehicle (Adaptive cruise, self parking, inflatable seat belts?). I'd have no questions regarding the long-term reliability of most new Ford products- with proper maintenance and care I wouldn't doubt a Fusion could make it to 200k miles. I still don't have that type of faith in Kia or Hyundai products though; I've been inside a 2012 Optima and the seats were sagging, the headliner was coming apart, and paint was peeling in the lower frontal area. It honestly looked like a 10+ year old vehicle that had been used and abused...when in reality I believe it had less than 40k miles.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times
The advise you get on this forum is worth what you paid for it. Pick a car you like and drive it home if it turns out to be a lemon it will be the fault of the persons who recommended it. If it turns out to be a great car it was the recommendation I made.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,540,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
'88 IROC-Z stiff ride? You never experienced the '84 Vette with a Z51 suspension. Brutal, brutal ride.

To answer the OP, who knows? Honda and Toyota have seen their reliability tarnished a little the last few years, Ford and Hyundai have seen their reliability improve the last few years. Buy the car that you like.
Actually I have.. just last week!!! Lol.. I like the 2014 C7 Z51 much better!! Lol..
I actally like the Fusion a bunch myself.. esp the hybrid. But I personaly like decent powered hybrids for DD myself because of the amount of miles I drive. But after working for Ford and Lincoln pretty extensively at their proving grounds I cant recommend them for someone for which reliability is a major concern.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Actually I have.. just last week!!! Lol.. I like the 2014 C7 Z51 much better!! Lol..
I actally like the Fusion a bunch myself.. esp the hybrid. But I personaly like decent powered hybrids for DD myself because of the amount of miles I drive. But after working for Ford and Lincoln pretty extensively at their proving grounds I cant recommend them for someone for which reliability is a major concern.
Care to elaborate?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM

10,779 posts, read 13,685,993 times
I go with Honda's track record over anyone.

The CVT's are a valid concern, but they are being used by Honda, Nissan, and Subaru...all companies known for reliabilty in varying degrees. I'm putting some faith in them that they wouldn't go down this road with a transmission that's going to die after 60K miles. (Fingers crossed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive