Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times

Advertisements

Oh, wow! Thanks!

My mom is still holding onto her 2001 BMW X5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
I find it useful as an of what to Google further.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
They should have a site called driver complaints, where you put the state, the license plate #, the make/model of car, and if possible, the gender/age range/race of the driver. Complain about their driving.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
That site is spot on with its err 'assesments' of my last 4 cars. The problems others had, i have had.

My new car has almost no complaints. Nor have i had any problems with it, and it will remain my new car!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Nothing like building bias right into the review with a whiner name like that. If one really starts digging behind a lot of car problems it's normally operator error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarComplaints View Post
Really, what do you base that on? I own the site in question, came across this thread in an alert. I don't agree at all, having worked on cars & having processed literally tens of thousands of complaints as the site was getting started 13 years ago. There are far more defective vehicles than bad drivers -- err let me clarify that -- bad drivers that cause mechanical damage to their cars.

Simply put, the massive number of problems reported for known defects is far greater than the random complaints here & there that may (or may not be) operator-caused. Unless you don't believe in known defects. Then I can't help explain things.
Rofl^^^^^

CarComplaints.com is a good place to go see if a certain cars year is have recurring problems.
This site save me from buying a 2001 Honda Civic.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I checked most all of the cars I have had and a couple of them were right on, but when only 2-3 people reported it you cannot really consider this data that tells you anything about a car. Maybe in a few years if they catch on and get more reports it could be useful.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
It is spot on for wife's '03 Accord V6. Besides the climate control, stereo dash unit already gone out ( expensive to fix), we have the transmission failure to look forward to. Debating whether to get rid of it before that happens. Has 85K

Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
The data is basically meaningless. There is no statistical normalization that would normalize the number of complaints to a specific car relative to the number of that specific car sold.

There are 500 complaints about the Jetta, but only 10 about the Touareg. Does that mean the Touareg is much better vehicle? I don't know. All I know from my observation, there are significantly more Jettas on the street than Touaregs. So, it is far more likely that the total number of complaints will be higher for Jettas than for Touaregs, because more Jettas are in service and could potentially fail, in turn, leading to a complaint.

Even if you normalize the number of complaints relative to the number of vehicles, one vehicle by its design will be driven and used differently than another leading to different numbers of complaints. So, for example, getting more complaint about a work truck vs a high-end sports car wouldn't surprise.

Even different warranty periods would affect the results.

Sorry, but the website seems to say actually nothing useful other than providing anecdotal summaries.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I just found this site for the first time today - Car Complaints. com - it is pretty cool- you can see a graph showing the years that any car make and model has the most complaints. This confirms for me why my car has done so well for so long - for its make, model, and year, it has some of the lowest complaints on record in the past 18 years.

I have been thinking about getting a used Camry at some point, and it is clear from that site that I should never consider one made in 2007- that is the worst year for complaints on record by far.

I do wonder though how increased reporting of complaints has changed over the years due to sites like this on the internet and how that skews the data....
The 2008 Honda Accord has almost 10 times the number of complaints as the 2007 Toyota Camry.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The data is basically meaningless. There is no statistical normalization that would normalize the number of complaints to a specific car relative to the number of that specific car sold.

There are 500 complaints about the Jetta, but only 10 about the Touareg. Does that mean the Touareg is much better vehicle? I don't know. All I know from my observation, there are significantly more Jettas on the street than Touaregs. So, it is far more likely that the total number of complaints will be higher for Jettas than for Touaregs, because more Jettas are in service and could potentially fail, in turn, leading to a complaint.

Even if you normalize the number of complaints relative to the number of vehicles, one vehicle by its design will be driven and used differently than another leading to different numbers of complaints. So, for example, getting more complaint about a work truck vs a high-end sports car wouldn't surprise.

Even different warranty periods would affect the results.

Sorry, but the website seems to say actually nothing useful other than providing anecdotal summaries.
Well, no, think about what the data is telling you. We're not trying to be statistically perfect, but the data is accurate & useful.

Look at the relative difference in complaints, per vehicle. For the Jetta, say 400 complaints are for transmission versus 10 complaints in 10 other categories each. So, our graph says transmission problems are 40 times more likely to occur than anything else for that Jetta. Does it matter that you don't know exactly how many Jettas are on the road vs the Toureg? No... now you'd go to the Toureg & make the same evaluation -- does one category or specific problem stand out as a major defect, or is everything pretty even & benign?

Stay away from mistakenly comparing straight complaint totals across vehicles & you'll do okay. This is how the NHTSA evaluates defect trends as well. It's a solid method if you use the data correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive