Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I'm gonna disregard the other illegal actions that took place. They speak for themselves. But to answer the OP's question, yes it is illegal to gun it through a yellow light. The law essentially states that you need to be able to make it through the intersection completely and safely before it turns red. Safely means not gunning it through the light. I know many people who have been stopped for the same thing. Bottom line, make sure you can make it through the intersection safely at your current speed or stop before you get there.
Hmmm, this is interesting. What charge would it be if you gun through a yellow? Not running a red light? Since.....you know....one won't run the red since they gunned it? If the charge is still running a red light, that's weird & "Minority Report"-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
This is the mating call of all those kids who drive those flat black 1996 honda civics with PpPpLLLPPPppppLLLPPPPppp pipe on the back to crawl out and issue hi-5's at the awesomeness of their "bro".

Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I wonder what would have been the outcome from the drivers test official's perspective if the op was taking his drivers test and pulled all these maneuvers i very much doubt our op would have passed that drivers test.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
not a troll. true story.
i dont know why u guys think its a joke.

Anyways now that I thought about it, I could have reported it stolen after and say I knew nothing about it.
Just about believable to me though. In Chicago in 1978, I ran right through a yellow accelerating and, the next thing I see is blue, see, cops in Chicago had blue lights back then.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1369/phot...32/Bone-vi.jpg

I kept accelerating ignoring the lights, came upon a red light at another intersection, so, I quickly whipped through a corner gas station and hit the gas again, then the siren came on and he was on my tail.

When I finally pulled over, and cop approached, he wrote me for running a red and speeding, and just warned me about fleeing and eluding whilst making me feel about three inches tall, so belittling. darned pig!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinEscobar View Post
...Are you stupid?
All those in favor?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
darned pig!
While in this instance you were getting a ticket for stupid driving that cop could have just as easily have been saving your life had you got into a major wreck..

Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times
Oh the stupidity!

Did you feel like you were LIVING GTAV?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 AM

13 posts, read 26,494 times
You got very lucky. They charged you because if you sued them and they didn't charge you, they could be in trouble. Most people slow down if they see a cop and your narrative "him being in a police van and me being in a "sliding car" I thought I could outmaneuver him from a ticket since I know the area well and can turn way faster then a huge truck/police van." was just plain dumb.

The only think I found in your favor (besides not getting taken to jail when caught) is your statement that the cops lights were on BEFORE you went through the light. So my question would be why? If his lights were on AFTER the light, then shut up.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
So i was driving home normally after the gym till I saw a bright flashing yellow light from a car on my right hand side.
While I was dazed by it, I noticed on the traffic light it was yellow so I gunned it and made it before it turned red.

Few seconds later I see flashing lights behind me....Im like really wtf is the cop gonna ticket me for that BS. It's his dumb light that made the whole traffic slow down and I made the light.
Either ways him being in a police van and me being in a "sliding car" I thought I could outmaneuver him from a ticket since I know the area well and can turn way faster then a huge truck/police van.

I eventually did outmaneuver him by making 70mph turns into a 35mph area. Turned off my engine, shut off the lights, and just walked back to my house. Once I get to my house, I grab my longboard and go check my car out so I can drive it back to my house.
I see flashing lights ahead of me and I knew they had me cuz they could check the VIN #/DL plate # and come knocking on my house.

I tell them the truth and apologize for running away. They told me I could be in HUGE trouble such as towing my car for 30days+, charging me for reckless driving, police evasion, WHICH I AM SO THANKFUL TO THESE GUYS for letting me off. AND I will never repeat the same dumb mistake again.
BUT he still charged me for running a red light and fast speed. The fast speed I have to take without a doubt, but I made the light by gunning it.........Why do I still get charged for crossing a red light...Should I fight it or just be blessed that these cops were nice and let me off and just pay the damn ticket?
As we mature in life we come to learn that making poor decisions not only is bad maneuvering for the present but holds a host of very bad consequences for our future as well. In reading your narrative I believe I could point out and make unkind commentary about the events of your 'brush with the law' but I am sure that whether you admit it or not you are perfectly aware of your multiple blunders of that evening...enough said.

Refer to the last highlighted and bolded sentence of your narrative and follow your intellect and heart on this. For whatever reason you got lucky and indeed are blessed a) that you did not hurt anyone or yourself in your stunt driver antics and b) these law enforcement individuals may have had bigger fish to fry that evening and as such, you were the beneficiary.

In all likelihood your auto insurance rates will be increased and for all practical purposes I hope you sit and ruminate about the evening's events and seriously count your blessings, which are many. I do hope you learned something of value in this, seriously, things could have gone very badly and they did not.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
One of the best ways to determine whether somebody has a mature and rational thought process is to look at his/her reaction to a slightly negative situation, and analyze whether he/she tried to limit the damage, or whether his/her actions had the potential to make the situation far worse.

Or, in a symbolic sense, Did he/she throw water on a small fire, or did he/she decide to throw gasoline on that small fire?

Without question, the OP made the decision to throw gasoline on what would have been a very small fire, and--in the aftermath--can't even understand that his actions were really, really inappropriate. So, I have to conclude that this person is operating at the maturity level of a 13 year old.

There are reasons why 13 year-olds are not allowed to be licensed, and this is an illustration of the reason for those regulations. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine ahead of time if somebody of legal driving age is still operating at the maturity level of a 13 year old, as the OP clearly is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive