U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I drive a nissan altima (2005) the car was running great,But about 2 weeks ago.I started hearing a very low knocking
About 2 days ago the engine started Knocking loud and when i come to a complete stop it wants to stall
but it dont, what happens the idle comes real low, Another thing is that when iam driving ,above 40 mph
I dont here the knocking.a friend i work with, told me that the knocking could be one of the piston connecting
rods ,or one of the lifters,
MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I DETERMINE THE RODS OR THE LIFTERS

If anyone can guide me in the right direction i will be very thankfull...

ROD.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 8,695,821 times
It's almost certainly a rod bearing, and you're looking at a complete rebuild, or a used engine.

If it was lifters, it'd be ticking, not knocking.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,117,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrodd1 View Post
Hi,
I drive a nissan altima (2005) the car was running great,But about 2 weeks ago.I started hearing a very low knocking
About 2 days ago the engine started Knocking loud and when i come to a complete stop it wants to stall
but it dont, what happens the idle comes real low, Another thing is that when iam driving ,above 40 mph
I dont here the knocking.a friend i work with, told me that the knocking could be one of the piston connecting
rods ,or one of the lifters,
MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I DETERMINE THE RODS OR THE LIFTERS

If anyone can guide me in the right direction i will be very thankfull...

ROD.
Sorry to hear that. How many miles on the Altima? How often so you change your oil?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
My son has 06 Infinity G35, that showed same signs. Matter of fact, it was so loud at cold start up, that we had to ground the car until further investigation.
What we found was that his engine was a bit low on oil. As soon as he refilled the engine, knock went away.
In several weeks, knock started coming back. He ran can of Seafoam through the engine, and replaced oil. Ever since it was done, knock is gone. He keeps an eye on oil level continuously, and it keeps going down, so he refills.
I advised him to go for higher viscosity oil also, as apparently it's an oil taker. That helped. Been good for what, 6 or so months by now?
Nissan has interesting "lifters" in those engines. It's actually a hybrid lifter, it's a tappet with lifter in the middle, as in - bucket type tappet with hydraulic tiny lifter in the middle of it. Oil holes for lifters are truly pin holes, and apparently oil will leak out of lifters overnight, causing seriosuly bad start up knock. When I heard it, I thought he bent all rods and it's all in pieces inside.
Was actually fairly easy fix with Seafom and oil change.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 PM

16,482 posts, read 17,501,756 times
If its a deep rhythmic knock that follows with the revs its bottom end. If its a fast ticking its valves/lifters

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
You didn't specify engine, but if it's the 3.5L, they are notorious for knocking if the oil level is allowed to get a little low. The 3.5 is notorious for being an oil burner as well, so a lot of cars going too long between oil changes can be bad news.

First thing I would do is check the oil level. How long since the last change? If you drain the oil, how much comes out?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
My son has 06 Infinity G35, that showed same signs. Matter of fact, it was so loud at cold start up, that we had to ground the car until further investigation.
What we found was that his engine was a bit low on oil. As soon as he refilled the engine, knock went away.
In several weeks, knock started coming back. He ran can of Seafoam through the engine, and replaced oil. Ever since it was done, knock is gone. He keeps an eye on oil level continuously, and it keeps going down, so he refills.
I advised him to go for higher viscosity oil also, as apparently it's an oil taker. That helped. Been good for what, 6 or so months by now?
Nissan has interesting "lifters" in those engines. It's actually a hybrid lifter, it's a tappet with lifter in the middle, as in - bucket type tappet with hydraulic tiny lifter in the middle of it. Oil holes for lifters are truly pin holes, and apparently oil will leak out of lifters overnight, causing seriosuly bad start up knock. When I heard it, I thought he bent all rods and it's all in pieces inside.
Was actually fairly easy fix with Seafom and oil change.

6-spd?

I assume you are aware of the oil consumption issues on the 05+ models. The issue with your sons car is very common unfortunately.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB - G35Driver

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
I have to wonder if a better (synthetic) oil would help these cars? The most expensive oil you can buy is cheap compared to just pulling the pan and replacing the big end bearings (which is not a real rebuild but sometimes will get you by for a while). People need to keep track of oil level on cars that use oil, rather than wait for dire knocking sounds to serve as an alarm clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or