Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM

216 posts, read 564,260 times

Advertisements

Looking for anyone with experience in these model year Dodge Ram trucks. I now live in Florida and have the luxury of finding rust-free Grandpa trucks for sale. I have always been a Chevy/GMC guy but the last pickup I owned was a 2000 Silverado when I lived in Connecticut. What a rust bucket that truck turned out to be! I am shopping for a truck now, with a limited budget. No matter what I find, Ford - Chevy- Dodge, I end up being in the 1998-2001 years. Although I am finding a few Chevy trucks like mine with no rust, I'm worried it will turn to a rust bucket again if I decide to move back to CT. Found a few Ford F150's, but nothing caught my eye. Anyway, I am finding a some really nice Dodge Ram trucks out there with descent mileage. I never owned a Dodge Ram before. Any pro's or con's vs. Chevy or Ford?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Stay away from Dodges with the Cummins diesel engine.

Cummins' Fatal Flaws - Diesel Power Magazine

Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

As opposed to the disasters of the same era Ford diesels or Chevy disasters?

Come on.

That article doesn't mention how many of those owned experience the problems they speak about. That is hardly a reason to not buy a Dodge with a Cummins engine.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:

Hahaha - the Cummins diesel is the very reason most people seek out Dodge trucks!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
As for pros or cons. anytime you ask that question you'll never get a straight answer because truck ownership is very emotional for a lot of people. They'll drive a pig but it's their pig and they wouldn't ever drive a different pig.

As for cons, for those years, fuel and economy wasn't used together for Dodges. In 06 they made significant strides in squeezing out more MPG but before that, is was pretty dismal for the most part. Of course, trucks and fuel economy prior to the mid 2000s shouldn't be used together anyway.

Dodges have very tough frames and again, until the mid 2000s drive like it too. You'll never forget you are driving a truck. Some build quality issues in the early 2000s but those were mainly relegated to dash and interior panel rattles, nothing that some audio mats can't easily solve.

Dodges didn't have the issues with spark plugs being thrown out of the heads like Fords when the Tritons came out but like most problems you'll often hear about, not everyone experienced the problem so take complaints about them as anything else, might not happen to you and probably won't.

Dodge trucks are as tough as any but then so are Fords and Chevys. Chevys tend to have a more car like ride until recently when they were outdone by Dodge in that department. There were more Fords sold and always have been so getting accessories and so on is an endless thing for them.

What Dodge has that neither Ford or Chevy has during the years you mention is styling. Of course there are those that say earlier Fords looked like trucks and anything since looks blah. Could be true, they looked like they'd run forever and they do. However, late 90s to early 2000s Fords look like an abscess on a broken big toe but that is personal opinion of course. Chevy looks like the sister of your friend who has to beg you to take her out. The Dodge in those years and well into the 2000s looks like no other and it just looks good. So good that Ford practically copies the hood design.

Either way, take care of them and it really doesn't matter, Dodge, Ford or Chevy, all will take care of you. Trick is to get a good one.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Quote:

Easy to do since their owners never sell them!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM

216 posts, read 564,260 times
Thanks for the advise so far. First of all, I always thought the Cummings was a great motor, but I am staying away from the diesel in any truck. I've always worked on my own vehicles, that is to say nothing major, and I am kind staying away from the diesel because I know nothing about them. My brother has a DuroMax in his truck but he hauls a 35' 5th wheel all over. He almost needs it. My pickups are recreational....hunting, fishing, trips to dump, Home Depot, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but with the price of diesel, I don't think it's worth having it for a weekend truck. I realize what matters is in how you take care of the truck also. You could have a beat to hell Ford vs. a babied Dodge for sale at the same price and obviously the Dodge would be the one to pick. One guy I worked with had a mid-90's Dodge that he bought from a local contractor. Truck was worked heavy and soon after he bought it, it thru a tranny. He replaced it and did put another 100, 000 miles on it before he sold it. Have to admit, what's drawing me to the Dodge is the looks, especially the suspension. Late 90's 4x4 1/2 ton trucks just look more rugged than same year Fords and Chevy. My Silverado 1/2 ton was a 4x4 and the only way you could tell was by looking at the 4x4 sticker on the rear of the bed!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
As opposed to the disasters of the same era Ford diesels or Chevy disasters?

Come on.

That article doesn't mention how many of those owned experience the problems they speak about. That is hardly a reason to not buy a Dodge with a Cummins engine.
The newer ones might be okay, but the model year the OP talked about purchasing, those were plagued with problems.

http://www.topclassactions.com/open/...uit-settlement

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 10-30-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
The automatic transmissions were junk.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM

129 posts, read 515,872 times
Ahem,

Most issues are related to trasnmissions and front end issues on 4x4's (generally out of alignment and so on just replace all the joints and have it aligned), also the front bumper support webbing is made of a sustsance that folds like tin foil.

First lets talk transmissions:

#1 issue: Bad/broken shift solenoids, sounds scary huh? It is not they are commonly available at auto parts stores, if it strats shifting wrong it's the solenoids, they are easy to replace. If left for too long it will wear out the bands and then the trans is shot. Many a Dodge owner was duped into replacing the trans because it was not shifting right, you had to let off the gas to get it to shift or floor it to click down is due to incorrect line pressure, because one of the solenoids is going out. Google it.

#2 rust: The regular cab short beds and later some longbeds were made in Mexico, they used a much less effective anti-corrosion process. Instead of dipping the entire body in a galvanized bath like was used in USA produced trucks, they simply sprayed primer into the body panels. Buy one produced in USA and it should be fine, however every case is different. If you bring one from the south to the north, wash it thouroughly and inside the wheel wells and everthing ASAP, the salt air gets into everything.

#3 front bumper wackiness, and the rusting rear bumpers:
Lightly tapping the front bumper will result in it looking like it's bent, it is most likiely not the structure that holds the bumper level is much weaker than needed, it can be replaced or straightened. Rear bumper loves to rust out, that is all.

#4 other annoyances: Some problems with infinity stereo systems and bad amps/speakers. Headliners love to fail, not the end of the world. Some issues with power windows/mirrors, not the end of the world. Drivers seat entry angle usually means lower cushion is toast for more information on this see every other truck ever built.

They have some small annoyances, but the 318/360 motors are basically bulletproof, prefernece to the 360 (is it the 5.9 dodge guys??, the emissions tag underhood tells you). You are familliar with chevys, it's the same deal as the 305/350, same block situation. The Rams are good trucks, they drive nicely and look sharp. They have a big truck look and feel to them, plus the beds are great, as mentioned before the frames are very tough and besides the transmission issues the driveline is nearly bulletproof.

My brother has only driven dodges since 2004, he had a small remodeling firm before he moved to Virginia and would not purchase anything else, even now that he is a welder he will not buy any other vehicle. Check eng lights are usually 02 sensors, in fact almost every emission problem is 02 sensor related, I believe dodge eliminated the EGR system on those models as well, but can't recall exactly. Tough trucks, I say find one and buy it. All the ones from up north of that year were worked to death or they were standard cab shortbeds and rusted away. Extended cab short bed, or USA made regular cab longbed and you can't go wrong.

My advice, find one with a good shifting trans, get it back home drop the pan, clean out the magnet, install a new quality filter and seal, refill with the oe trans fluid or Mobil-1 ATF. Don't go to one of the quick lube shops and get their "service". Put tags on it and enjoy!

Good Luck!

Last edited by orrecc; 10-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Longbed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram