Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

I remember when PHR purchased a 360 equipped Dodge St. Regis and ran it in the race. The forgot to enlarge the fuel tanks and refueling consumed too much time. That was their main issue. They later sold the car to Dan Aykroyd.

I too read the Yates' book Cannonball. Great read.

I am surprised the race is still on in this no tolerance era of law enforcement.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-02-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruckn View Post
Pretty cool. Check out how they outfitted their Mercedes for the trip.

Meet The Guy Who Drove Across The U.S. In A Record 28 Hours 50 Minutes

From the article-
That's right: Alex Roy's familiar cross-country driving record, set in his now-famous LeMans Blue 2000 BMW M5 during the fall of 2006, no longer stands. It was allegedly broken by a three-man team consisting of Ed, a co-driver, and a passenger, in a 2004 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG.
Amazing.

But not a stock car, anymore. Modded cars will now be the rule.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Amazing.

But not a stock car, anymore. Modded cars will now be the rule.
Much closer to stock than Alex Roy's M5 was.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Last cannonball run was in the '70s. Do you mean a modern equivalent like the Gumball 3000 or a hypothetical run that occurred in the '70s? A '70s mopar would not be competitive in a modern Gumball 3000 run, no. It could do it. The point of Gumball isn't really speed as much as panache, but it wouldn't be competitive with more modern cars.
If I ever enter a Cannonball Run or Gumball 3000, I will drive a '69 Charger Daytona and I'll let you know how I do.

Yes, it isn't so much speed. Driver skill also is a factor.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If what he did isn't that great how about you get off your arse and do something more worthy of such publicity.
Really? I have a little more respect for others than to do something like this. There's a BIG difference between famous and infamous. Any dirt bag with a miss guided ego can wind up infamous on CNN.

How about we set up a little race? You and your love ones are in the oncoming lane, while I test the top speed of my diesel truck at night, after 25 hours without sleep? What? You're not interested?

I'm off my ass 3-4 times a week tearing it up on my big bore two stroke dirt bike, high up in the Colorado mountains... where there are no speed limits. The only risk is to myself and others on the OHV trails. I don't go getting my adrenalin fix around the general public. That takes a special type of douche bag.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Really? I have a little more respect for others than to do something like this. There's a BIG difference between famous and infamous. Any dirt bag with a miss guided ego can wind up infamous on CNN.

How about we set up a little race? You and your love ones are in the oncoming lane, while I test the top speed of my diesel truck at night, after 25 hours without sleep? What? You're not interested?

I'm off my ass 3-4 times a week tearing it up on my big bore two stroke dirt bike, high up in the Colorado mountains... where there are no speed limits. The only risk is to myself and others on the OHV trails. I don't go getting my adrenalin fix around the general public. That takes a special type of douche bag.
Why did you ASSume I'm not interested? Try again. So you're getting on your high horse because you don't endanger the general public? You're still endangering people so you're being a hypocrite. Newsflash: Everything isn't a danger to the general public. I'll take him over some pillock texting and driving or putting on makeup. You can't do anything more than insult him because you can't get more publicity. There are no speed limits on trails? Big whoop.

I'm pleased that you have respect for yourself. Someone needs to. Don't get bitter. Get better.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It's relevant that they had a specially-equipped car, with a support team outside the vehicle to clear the way.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Why did you ASSume I'm not interested?
Sorry, my bad. You should have identified yourself as an A$$ earlier on. Your post makes more sense now. You're all OK with putting your loved ones in danger while I rocket past at 100+ mph in a 9,000lb truck. Silly me, making the assumption your care about your family. Did you ask them if they're OK with it?

Quote:
Try again. So you're getting on your high horse because you don't endanger the general public? You're still endangering people so you're being a hypocrite.
Yes, I love getting on my high horse, AKA the KTM 300xc-w, because it doesn't endanger the general public. Glad you see my point.

Do you really not see the difference between a designated OHV area or closed course race track vs a public road?

Quote:
Newsflash: Everything isn't a danger to the general public. I'll take him over some pillock texting and driving or putting on makeup. You can't do anything more than insult him because you can't get more publicity. There are no speed limits on trails? Big whoop.
But you don't get to pick one over the other. When he's out there going 150mph, there's still those idiots "texting and driving or putting on makeup" on the road right there with him. Which proves my point that he shouldn't be doing that on public roads. There's a reason you just can't show up to a race track with that merc and enter a race. You have to have a full roll cage and be wearing a DOT approved helmet, nomex suit, 5 or 6 point racing harness and a professional license for that class of race car. There's also the pre race safety check. There's also no oncoming traffic on a race course, and there's no texting or putting on makeup.

And I have no idea where you come up with the idea that I want to match this guys infamy??

Quote:
I'm pleased that you have respect for yourself. Someone needs to. Don't get bitter. Get better.
Not just respect for myself, but for my family and the general public. Caring about someone other than yourself is something decent humans do.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's relevant that they had a specially-equipped car, with a support team outside the vehicle to clear the way.
The support team did not clear the way. They were checking for cops or anything else (road works etc) that would affect their progress. It wasn't for the general public's safety.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It starts to get to the point where you wonder where the cheating begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That kinda lessens it to me, not that my opinion matters but when you had extra fuel tanks, multiple GPS devices, CB radio and recon cars ahead of you, where does the skill factor come in?

Now I've driven across the country before and it's not easy but what they did was pretty ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive