Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,085,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Take it to a self serve car wash
i put a quarter in, rinse, wipe, done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM

9,128 posts, read 14,683,015 times
If you can't wash your car yourself, you can always get a "California" duster and follow up with a detailing spray from Meguiars, Griots, Zaino, etc using a microfiber cloth. If you are not driving in rain and you are careful and keep up with it, it should not do much paint damage and they can remove any micro scratches at your next detail.

Also, around here, there are mobile detail guys that will come to your office and do your car. There are a couple of guys here that if you have a few cars (get your co-workers to have theirs done) they will do a quick vacuum and hand wash, using good practices for $25-$30. Find those people in your area.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,209,835 times
California duster and QD are for light dusting.
If you are trying to remove any kind of dirt and grime, you should use a waterless wash instead.

Mobile detailers are a good idea and many of them offer discounts for multiple cars at the same location but there are a lot of hacks out there. Choose one carefully.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM
C8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

HA! Love the last few line...

God she doesn't know what she's doing

Oh boy she knows exactly what she's doing... driving us crazy and loving every minute of it

Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 AM
C8N

Found this while viewing the Cool Hand youtube...

Best Sexy Car Wash TV Ad Ever Funny Banned Commercials 2013 Superbowl Ready - Carjam TV HD - YouTube

Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,051,360 times
You men. So easy when it comes to women and washing cars :P Which explains those Carl's Jr commercials hehe.

I never thought about going to a self service wash. Hadn't even seen one around. But since someone on the PDX board asked, now I know where two of them are. Still going to freeze washing my car. Wonder if the water will be ice cold like it is in my house in the AM. Brrrr.

I do have a California duster and yes, I only use it when I have wax on my car and light dust. Anything more, I really don't like to use it, even if it still works.

The best car washes? At the dealerships (not the kind they drive through). My X used to work at one and would take my car to be washed. Great soap, high pressure, hot water. My car sparkled like nothing after those washes. He was good for that. hehe.

Still looking for a detailer, and need to find a non-rainy day to do it. I figure, this will get a good layer of protection on my car. Although it's in a carport, it gets so dirty from all the wind/dust flying around.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,976,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
You men. So easy when it comes to women and washing cars :P Which explains those Carl's Jr commercials hehe.

I never thought about going to a self service wash. Hadn't even seen one around. But since someone on the PDX board asked, now I know where two of them are. Still going to freeze washing my car. Wonder if the water will be ice cold like it is in my house in the AM. Brrrr.

I do have a California duster and yes, I only use it when I have wax on my car and light dust. Anything more, I really don't like to use it, even if it still works.

The best car washes? At the dealerships (not the kind they drive through). My X used to work at one and would take my car to be washed. Great soap, high pressure, hot water. My car sparkled like nothing after those washes. He was good for that. hehe.

Still looking for a detailer, and need to find a non-rainy day to do it. I figure, this will get a good layer of protection on my car. Although it's in a carport, it gets so dirty from all the wind/dust flying around.
If you want a good off the shelf car wash, Meguiar's NXT and Duragloss CWC are excellent choices.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM
C8N

Quote:
Not necessarily. Your ex probably took the time and the care since it was your car but it's the same story... same dirty mitts and towels that has been used on all their cars on the lot gets used on yours as well. When my car goes in for service at the dealer.... I use one of these....

Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
Quote:

Dealership car washes are usually quick and easy for the dealer - intended to impress the customer with a car that looks shiny at first glance. But otherwise it is usually sloppy and an afterthought.

Self service can be cold in the winter. But in my experience the water coming out of the jet is not cold. But because you don't stick your hand in a bucket, it is not as cold as winter washing in the driveway.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,976,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Not necessarily. Your ex probably took the time and the care since it was your car but it's the same story... same dirty mitts and towels that has been used on all their cars on the lot gets used on yours as well. When my car goes in for service at the dealer.... I use one of these....
Generally, yes. When I was a dealership I convinced them to switch to a pressure washer/foam cannon setup. With our generally soft water and the soap we used we didn't even have to worry about water spots either, so used compressed air to get most of the water off and let the rest air dry. Was real quick and easy.

That's probably a rarity though and I would make sure they did not wash my personal vehicle unless I knew they used a safe system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive