Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:14 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times

Advertisements

My suggestion is the Toyota Sequoia. I currently drive a Honda Pilot Touring but if I needed/wanted a larger SUV I'd be all over the Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
Just wait for the new GM SUVs. I'm sure they will be class leading as usual. It might not be a bad idea to check out the updated Expedition and Navigator when they debut as well.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Wait for the 2015 Tahoe/Yukons to get released next year. Interior be will 10x better. All rows of seats will fold flat, with the hit of a button. Or you can get a 2014 for $10K+ off when the 2015 release date gets closer. Spring for the Denali with the 6.2 making 420HP.

2015 Yukon Full Size SUV | GMC
That does look pretty sweet. It might be hard to buy the 2014, knowing the 2015 is available. even at a $10k savings.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Get a used one, let someone else eat the depreciation.
I am considering certified pre-owned. It seems like a smart way to buy a car these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
How about a small trailer?
That's not for me. I would rather put everything in the SUV. I have a motorcycle trailer, and I hate when I have to use it. Backing up, parking, sharp turns, constantly checking on it in my rear view mirror is all a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Suburban seems like the logical choice if you like the Tahoe you currently have but it's a bit too small. The 2015 (coming early 2014) LTZ models get magnetic ride control that was previously only in the Caddy. It'll also have a more comprehensive tech package offerings, so things like blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise are available.
I like the Suburban, and it is definitely on my short list. I don't know that I said the Tahoe was to small though. It gets filled completely on our ski trips, which is fine. I could go bigger with the Suburban or be happy in another Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
A buddy had an LX470, and sold it with 270K miles on it. The Denali he just bought is sitting in my driveway until he is ready to surprise his wife with it. I have no interest in or use for an SUV, and besides occasionally driving one as I did his, I have little experience in them. But I'd only driven the Denali 50 miles before I realized the LX drove so much better. Less body roll, less pitch on braking and in corners, quieter, more stable. Relative to it the Denali feels cheap. All the controls feel tighter and more precise in the LX. From what my buddy tells me the AWD systems don't even compare.

As you say, it's a big difference in price (he wanted another LX, but a used vs the used Denali, it's nearly double the price) but there are many reasons why. As someone said, buy a used LX for what the Denali costs new.
Maybe I should test drive one. Though I am happy with the way the Tahoe drives now. Maybe I won't be after test driving the LX. But I have been wondering, is the LX the same exact car as the Land Rover, but with different trim? The Land Rover is about $10K less.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Magnetic ride control started with the Caddy, but it's been on the Corvette for a decade now.

As far as a large SUV goes, the Infiniti has gotten very good reviews and it's outselling the Lexus LX you mention. You also have the option of buying a 2013 model (the QX80 is just a rebadged QX56) and saving quite a bit of money. My neighbor has one, 400hp and 7 spd transmission and is pretty darn quick for a vehicle of its size. Said he liked it much better than the Escalade, which of course is above a Denali or Suburban.

I'm not a big fan of Infiniti after having a Q45 a while back, but the QX56/80 is worth a look.
I honestly don't know much about the brand, but I love the look of the infinity. I plan on test driving one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
since you like the tahoe you have now, i say why change? the ford expedition is a nice SUV, but for you the tahoe has a known track record. in the end the choice is yours, one way to decide though is to go out and rent some of the SUVs you are thinking about for a weekend, and see if they match up to the tahoe. its a cheap way to get a weekend long test drive, and you have no salesman in the seat next to you constantly talking up their product while talking down the competitors product.
Thats not a bad idea. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You've obviously got the money to just buy whatever you want, so just buy whatever you want. ALL of the full-size SUVs are good - as they danged well better be!

If you don't like what you get, trade it off in a couple years.
I think I have the money to buy whatever I want because I'm not the type of person who buys whatever he wants. Funny how that works. I don't mind spending a lot, but only if I feel like I am getting value for my money. I would rather not have to trade it in a couple of years from now. That is always a big loss. I would like to buy something that I will keep for the next 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My suggestion is the Toyota Sequoia. I currently drive a Honda Pilot Touring but if I needed/wanted a larger SUV I'd be all over the Toyota.
I like the Sequoia. My brother-in-law drives one and it is really nice. I always wondered why it was priced so much lower than the Land Cruiser. Even fully loaded, the Sequoia is very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Just wait for the new GM SUVs. I'm sure they will be class leading as usual. It might not be a bad idea to check out the updated Expedition and Navigator when they debut as well.
Until now, I didn't realize that they would be refitting the GM lines next year. Knowing this, I am definitely planning to wait until they come out before making any final decisions.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am considering certified pre-owned. It seems like a smart way to buy a car these days.

That's not for me. I would rather put everything in the SUV. I have a motorcycle trailer, and I hate when I have to use it. Backing up, parking, sharp turns, constantly checking on it in my rear view mirror is all a hassle.

I like the Suburban, and it is definitely on my short list. I don't know that I said the Tahoe was to small though. It gets filled completely on our ski trips, which is fine. I could go bigger with the Suburban or be happy in another Tahoe.

Maybe I should test drive one. Though I am happy with the way the Tahoe drives now. Maybe I won't be after test driving the LX. But I have been wondering, is the LX the same exact car as the Land Rover, but with different trim? The Land Rover is about $10K less.
I think you mean Land Cruiser. I don't know what the differences are but I did see numerous comparisons between the two online.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I think you mean Land Cruiser. I don't know what the differences are but I did see numerous comparisons between the two online.
Yes. I did mean the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't even consider anything in the Land Rover brand. Been there, done that. Way too unreliable, plus they don't make anything large enough for me. Even the full sized Range Rover is too small for my needs.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think I have the money to buy whatever I want because I'm not the type of person who buys whatever he wants. Funny how that works. I don't mind spending a lot, but only if I feel like I am getting value for my money. I would rather not have to trade it in a couple of years from now. That is always a big loss. I would like to buy something that I will keep for the next 10 years..
People don't get that, do they?

If you're looking for quiet, reliable luxury, the Lexus is your bet.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
2015 Tahoe/Yukon is now for sale. Go drive one and let us know what you think!

Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
I've had or ridden in most of the big SUV's. The extra cargo room in the Suburban vs. the Tahoe is nice if you need it. But it certainly makes parking lot maneuvers more difficult. Thery all ride pretty nice and there's really not a bad choice among the ones you mentioned. My trust in my dealer plays a big part in vehicle selection today.
If you don't already, I'd invest in true winter tires for the snow. I live on the way up to Killington and the roads can get dicey on bad days. True winter tires make a world of difference. I can't tell you how many times we/ve pulled people out with their 4wd wonder wagons. Most stock tires aren't worth a damn on snow and ice.
Also, Vt salts the crap out of their roads. You can get the car sprayed with Waxoyl to stop the rust so it'll look as good ten years from now as it does the day you bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive