Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
agree, it is always the fault of the one who hits the car in front (no matter the reason why they stop) since they don't keep the distance required to stop.

The guy who posted the video proves that he is at fault, hope the kid who was holding his head is ok.

Also I'm pretty sure the truck who did not stop at yeld sign could've stopped if the car did not break (he did it anyway). Of course the perception might've been different for the guy driving the car which got hit, it is not car driver fault anyway.
It's not always the driver in the back's fault. If there was clear negligence by the person in front then the person in front can be held responsible or just given a no-fault accident. That's just from my experience of what I've seen. I mean realistically we can't have a mile long gap in between each vehicle. People will just dive in the space which causes you to slow down to maintain a gap and you wouldn't get anywhere if everyone was doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 AM

80 posts, read 218,088 times
What ever happened to defensive driving!?!?!?

Imo, the driver filming is at fault for hitting the car in front of him... he might be able to claim that the truck bears some responsibility, but come on, who actually hit another car?!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Imo, all three vehicles contributed to the accident with the person filming being most at fault.

If you study the video, at 0:12 you immediately should recognize the sticky situation. The dump truck was clearly going way too fast to slow down before entering the highway and then the car in front clearly overreacted by coming to a complete stop when there was plenty of room on the side.

The person filming struck the other car at 0:18. Six seconds elapsed which is plenty of enough time to react and brake in time. It's not even as if he was tailgating. He just failed to respond to what was going on in front of him. Honestly, I don't even notice much deceleration which is puzzling.

Pretty good assessment. Plenty of blame all around and a good demonstration of what not to do in every situation. If I were a cop and had all three, I would have ticketed the dump truck for failure to yield, the vehicle with the camera for rear ending and would have at least talked to the Toyota about their role in it. IMO, tentative people who then over react are at least a contributing cause of many accidents that are the ultimate fault of others. He had plenty of room to get by the guy.

Its not totally clear from some of the responses, but I doubt the guy was actively filming, as in holding a camera. I am sure it was a dash cam that he had nothing to do with.

And that brings up an interesting question. Do most dash cams have a way to actually view the footage at the scene either though a small screen or at least a video out connection or do they have to be downloaded later?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If I were a cop and had all three, I would have ticketed the dump truck for failure to yield,

The dump truck certainly did NOT "fail to yield". The truck never pulled onto the roadway until after the car that was rear-ended had already gone past, and the truck very nearly came to a complete stop before merging on. How is that "failure to yield"?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

358 posts, read 886,756 times
So this question is "If I drive into the car in front of me, whose fault is it?"

It seems painfully obviously to me.

Do not drive into the car in front of you for any reason. It is not allowed. Not even if you are mad at them and you think they did something stupid.

As a driver is it always your obligation not to crash into things that are in front of you.

The truck did not cause the accident. The driver of the car who stopped did not cause any accident. It was the sole fault of the driver who drove into another car. I am not certain it can be called an accident. There was plenty of room and plenty of time to stop. It looks intentional. Perhaps he wanted a video of a collision which he could then post on the internet and become well known.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
"Filming?" Cmon, people, no one has used "film" in this century. Just ask Kodak. No one tapes anymore, either. "Recording video" these days.
The Toyota caused the accident. He could have been charged with failure to maintain control. The dumptruck could have been charged with failure to yield because he went over 15 MPH through the yield sign, and the Videographing truck could be charged with following too closely.
Everyone's at fault.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
In Pennsylvania, at any yield type of intersection the blame is on the vehicle that fails to yield.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
So I was watching random crash videos on Youtube, and came across this one. How would you assign the blame? On the one hand, you have the dump truck that looks like he's not going to yield (he eventually did, but not where you would expect him to), so I can't blame the car for stopping in that situation. On the other hand, you have the guy who actually hit the car. He wasn't able to stop his rig on time, and that means he was too close for the speed he was driving. If nobody was hurt, it's a miracle, because that impact looked painful!

WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE
IN THIS VIDEO, NSFW language

Failure to Yield by dump truck caused this!!!!!!! - YouTube
Three wrongs don't make a right.

Dump truck driver never slowed before hitting the car in front of him, he must have tunnel vision because he ignored the merging traffic (another dump truck w/trailer) and failed to slow to prevent an accident-following too closely.

Driver of car at fault for slowing to merging traffic from the right (dump truck w/trailer) car driver should have moved left more and accelerated slightly.

Traffic coming down a ramp onto the highway must yield and merge with other traffic (dump truck/w trailer).

Insurance companies will generally place a percentage of blame between drivers for who is as fault, however, some insurance companies have no fault policies. The police would probably write the ticket to the dump truck driver who hit the car, inattentive driving.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Failing to yield by the dump truck was the root cause. Had he slowed drastically or stopped as that is what "yield" means, no one would have hit anyone else.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Stop the video at the 0:23 mark. At that point, the tandem truck is at nearly a complete stop (less than 5 mph) and is still on the ramp, not yet on the travel lane, and has already allowed the sedan to pass, even after hard braking and impact. Obviously no "failure to yield" or any other infraction. What else was he supposed to do?

At 0:23-24, you can see that the camera car and the tandem are both virtually stopped. , The camera car is at a complete stop from 0:21, and yuou can gauge the speed of the tandem by aligning the right antenna on the camera car just ahead of the left mudflap on the tandem trailer. At that point, there are no wheels of the tandem in the main roadway.

Now go back and stop the video at 0:12 and look at the yellow sign on the right. The speed advisory is 50 kph (31 miles an hour) applicable to the carmera car. That is an advisory sign, not a legal speed limit, but violating an advisory sign constitutes reckless driving if a mishap occurs. The driver of the camera car is clearly going way over 31 mph, and had he been complying with the sign, he could have easily stopped in plenty of time to avoid the crash. I hope he doesn't show this video to the police. (Most of you reading this are Americans, so I made the conversion for you.)

So, to sum it up, we have a guy going maybe twice the recommended safe speed, blaming an accident on a driver who came to a complete stop at a yield sign.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-08-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive