Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,117,089 times

Advertisements

I've Googled around on this but haven't found many results for my model and year, and I don't trust mechanics to not rip me off. (I'm female.)

My 2007 Hyundai Sonata squeaks and squeals when I go over bumps. When I took the car to be inspected a few weeks ago, the mechanic doing the inspection handed me an estimate for almost $2,000 in recommended repairs and services, including all sorts of fluid top-ups and "flushes", which I declined aside from the oil change I also asked him to do. He included an estimate for replacing the struts and shocks and his price was $890. I asked him if the repair was necessary for the car to pass inspection and he said no, so I said "no thanks". I think my struts and shocks probably do need to be replaced, but the car is only six years old and has about 50,500 miles on it. It seems too early to be looking at this! And $890 seems way too high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,982,680 times
This guy is lying to you. Never go back to him. A car with only 50k on it should NOT need shocks and struts replaced.

Now... The question to be answered is, why this car squeaks and squeals when you go over bumps.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
If you go over a lot of bumps daily you should still be able to make 75,000 miles on shocks and struts, more likely over 100,000 miles. Unless they are leaking, which you can tell by inspecting them. The squeaks and squeals are hard to diagnose without seeing it but a little lubrication here and there could be the answer. As for the other things, they are probably recommended but may not really be needed, most fluids are supposed to be flushed/changed at 60,000. Check you owner's manual schedule for maintenance. I would also look for another mechanic.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,997,507 times
Most likely, you just need some bushings replaced or greased.

EDIT: I know you're in Richardson, but I don't know any reputable shops in that area that I can vouch for. Plano, no good shops. Only one I can recommend who can look it over without screwing you is Chuck's Automotive in McKinney. Sometimes their pricing is even a good bit lower than I can believe.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM

21,537 posts, read 27,783,815 times
As has been said, you do NOT need new shocks/struts at that mileage. You need to see another mechanic that'll probably diagnose. Likely it's something simple and shouldn't cost much. Look up mechanic reviews in your local area on Google Maps or Yelp and find one with a good rating.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 AM

18,834 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Like ^^^ (McKinney)
Clunks and squeals going over bumps is #1 sway bar bushings. You can even sometimes reach there with a can of spray grease and straw and squirt some all over them. But that's temporary fix, as dust and dirt collects there and makes it worse.
Now, don't take me wrong - on some cars, by the book, you need to suspend engine to get to them bushings. Or, find a creative mech who can bypass that.
#2 is control arm bushings.
#3 will be shot ball joints in tie rod ends or control arms, but you'd have had much worse symptoms.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,117,089 times
Thanks guys!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,723,595 times
I was at a garage getting an oil change and it seemed nearly every other car that came in they were trying to sell them new shocks and struts with estimates of " about $900"

I put over 200,000 miles on every one of my vehicles I have bought new and have never replaced shocks and struts.

Why do so many garages have one rip off that they specialize in ?

Old 11-10-2013, 02:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,982,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I was at a garage getting an oil change and it seemed nearly every other car that came in they were trying to sell them new shocks and struts with estimates of " about $900"

I put over 200,000 miles on every one of my vehicles I have bought new and have never replaced shocks and struts.

Why do so many garages have one rip off that they specialize in ?
You may not have replaced shocks and struts in any of those vehicles, but you should have. You slowly became accustomed to how crappy they were riding.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Do you know how to diagnose and replace shocks and struts?

Your struts being worn out can be diagnosed from a wallow soft boat like ride to uneven scalloped wear on the tire tread and if you push on your car front and rear and bounce it up or down it should bounce once or twice and stop. If it keeps bouncing your struts and shocks are worn.
It takes a special tool to compress the strut spring to replace it. $900 bucks to replace all four shocks and struts? That's not that high a price. What kind of oarts are you quoted on? Factory parts or quality aftermarket or cheap Chinese aftermarket? Does the quote include a alignment? Is there a warranty? How long is the warranty ? How much are the parts and what is the labor break down? also remember you're paying not only for the parts and labor but also the shop overhead the employees and the taxes etc that he has to pay as a legitimate business. And he also has to warranty the job.
If his price is that high then go buy the struts, shocks, jack and stands, the tools and the special strut compression tool the repair manual and then feel free to do the job yourself.

If I have a job that I cannot do because I do not have tools, skills or knowledge I hire someone who does.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-10-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive