Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

I always tell friends when the service writer tells them their vehicle is due for a power flush, have him show them where the manufacturer recommends it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
We own two Hondas, a 2005 and a 2012 and both manuals specifically say to ONLY drain and refill the major fluids specifically the transmission fluid. It does not say anywhere in the manual to flush anything..... As a matter of fact, my local Honda dealer does not even offer a flush service, only drain and refill.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
I think the OPs point is that the father has not done any fluid replacement, either by flush or by drain and refill. That he says neither is necessary.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Hummm... Vehicle manufacturers have whole floors of engineers who specify what maintenance should be done when. I think I would rather listen to their recommendations than to your dads!

That is the same as asking the guy next door what you should do about your medical problem as opposed to reading medical advice written by medical doctors (or asking your doctor). I think I would prefer to listen to my doctor!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default A lot depends on how you drive

Inter urban driving at high speed, like a long commute, causes your fluids to heat up and over time they all break down so change them. If your car is driven infrequently, acids build up from your cool combustion as the car never heats up so your exhaust system suffers and the spark plugs might carbonize from unburned fuel (the plug gaps start to close).

And your oil gums up if the car just sits but not the artificial oils as much. Your fuel injection ports clog up with mileage so a flush does work. That's the only flush other than for the radiator that is useful. Gum Out as an additive works the same as the 10% alcohol you get in gas in bad air designated areas so why buy it? Nitrogen gas is supposed to be better than air in your tires (green caps) but the real reason to use it is it keeps water out of your tires that is found in compressed air.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM

457 posts, read 693,563 times
Most manufacturer's don't recommend flushing the transmission, but I see no harm in flushing other vehicle systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive