U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:37 PM

6,574 posts, read 18,057,619 times

Advertisements

I am a former mechanic/business owner now retired 22 yrs.
That being said while cars have changed considerably over the yrs.
Just bought a 2008 Ford Escape SUV Hybrid, a one owner low miles that should be trouble free for my remaining yrs here.
Popped the hood and there is NO way I would attempt any kind of repairs.
Driving just 3K miles a yr should keep me headache free.
During my early yrs bought Cads with low miles and no repairs needed...such a current move with this Hybrid.
In my past experience and looking at today's mkt Hybrid will be the thing for another 20 yrs with a graduate increase with all Electric being the future...
I will not be around to see those days.
(cut my teeth on model T Ford's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:44 PM

13,474 posts, read 43,026,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So you have no problem unlike most on here that donít have a hoist or a compressor with air tools so you can do your own work. But people like me and others who donít have what you do itís impossible to do certain things and who wants to lay under a vehicle in the cold weather on the cold ground, not me so thatís why i go to the dealer even for a simple oil change. So you tell others to do it themselves but not everyone has the tools or the knowledge or the time to do it themselves itís simple for you to change your oil you use your lift and stand under your vehicle. I bet you have lift in a Nice and warm gator pole barn also out of the elements.

Well, yeah, having a proper garage with good lighting, a compressor, at least a couple of rattle guns, does make DIY a lot easier and more productive.

I don't have a lift. Yet.

Rolling around outside in the snow is for the birds.

Old Today, 05:36 PM

9,625 posts, read 17,807,299 times
Some shops double the price of the part. That's how they make money. I have a mechanic friend in town & I save a lot on labor & parts. My front & rear brakes need to be replaced soon (last time was 2000 & 2001).

Old Today, 06:13 PM

2,845 posts, read 748,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, yeah, having a proper garage with good lighting, a compressor, at least a couple of rattle guns, does make DIY a lot easier and more productive.

I don't have a lift. Yet.

Rolling around outside in the snow is for the birds.

Old Today, 08:34 PM

16,706 posts, read 17,854,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So you have no problem unlike most on here that don’t have a hoist or a compressor with air tools so you can do your own work. But people like me and others who don’t have what you do it’s impossible to do certain things and who wants to lay under a vehicle in the cold weather on the cold ground, not me so that’s why i go to the dealer even for a simple oil change. So you tell others to do it themselves but not everyone has the tools or the knowledge or the time to do it themselves it’s simple for you to change your oil you use your lift and stand under your vehicle. I bet you have lift in a Nice and warm gator pole barn also out of the elements.

I didn’t always have these things buddy. I simply saved the money and purchased what I needed, I had tools gathered over 30 years time. And actually my lift is outside. Eventually I’m gonna build a barn/shop to have it indoors. But I’m outside. Cold or hot.
But I did the roll around on the ground getting up and down. For the last 28.5 years. I only got the lift about a year ago. Cold hot didn’t matter because I needed to get the car working for Monday morning.
You assume way too much about me. I didn’t always have the money to pay someone. That’s how I learned. At one time I had to work for 2/3/4 days to make the same amount as a mechanic wanted to do a brake job. I couldn’t afford it. So I learned out of necessity. Dude no mechanic can get any bs past me. I’ll call you out on it in in a heartbeat. I speak mechanic and they know it. Anyway. So I bought a manual and read it. Then I bought some tools and opened the book... Step 1......remove item 1. Step 2.....
That’s how I learned. Now that I do have the money I am not paying someone for something I can do myself. No reason to. I do a lot of preventative maintenance. It allows me to see my pads are wearing down. So I order a set. Then I put them on. Now I don’t need to worry about it. Samecwith anything else. Looking and seeing gives you a idea of what’s wearing out so you can plan on what to buy. Last time I bought brake rotors and pads forvall my vehicles. All on clearance. I literally bought about 1k worth of parts for about $250 bucks. I bought Wagner brake pads for $6 a set. Rotors for $25. Shocks for $10. All thee were brand name parts you would buy OTC locally for 4-5x the money.

We get it. You don’t work on your cars, dont wanna lay on the ground, you lease.... we get it. This thread isn’t about you and driving to the dealer dropping it off to get a repair.

Most mechanics have reasons why hey dint let a customer bring in their own parts. And there are some who don’t care. If I was a mechanic and had my own shop and a customer brought a part fine. I’ll put it in. You get no warranty on labor and I would make that crystal clear before I turned a wrench and it would be written down. If you bring the wrong part I’m gonna charge you $40 for every hour the truck is on the lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive