U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,247,848 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering about the cheapskates here worrying about getting ripped off while they waste their employers time using his computer and his time trying to save money.

I hate friggin cheapskates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:11 PM

2,341 posts, read 8,786,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I wasn't expecting the offer by the owner nor did I ask for any favors or expect any. He made the offer and I thanked him when I picked up the car with some baked goodies for the shop to enjoy.
Thanks for sharing!

Wouldn't the world be a great place if every customer, and ever service center, did business like that?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

17,602 posts, read 18,754,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Wouldn't the world be a great place if every customer, and ever service center, did business like that?
Have to admit it was totally unexpected.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM

2,723 posts, read 7,501,677 times
I had bought some parts from Ford Racing in MI and had it shipped to my house. I spoke to my local dealer and they told me they would do the install and charge for labor and make sure its done correctly. They are not a Ford Racing Dealer so they just told me to order the parts and it would be no problem. I was very happy with the outcome and they gladly wanted to do the labor. I asked some independent shops around town and they didn't seem too interested or quoted me an outrageous price.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,881,234 times
I do, but I sell that dealership parts as I do parts for a living. We have a special arrangement. I also send a lot of customers their way so they give me a deal. The lead tech was a coworker years ago, so it helps if you know somebody.

I always bring a bribe to that tech, a twelve pack of good quality beer which he shares with the shop. Christmas the department heads get bottles of wine. Bribes go a long way. Food works well, too.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM

13,474 posts, read 43,026,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I do, but I sell that dealership parts as I do parts for a living. We have a special arrangement. I also send a lot of customers their way so they give me a deal. The lead tech was a coworker years ago, so it helps if you know somebody.

I always bring a bribe to that tech, a twelve pack of good quality beer which he shares with the shop. Christmas the department heads get bottles of wine. Bribes go a long way. Food works well, too.
Those are not "bribes" they are "gratuities" - a bribe has an air of doing something wrong, and there is nothing wrong with bringing some grog or vittles for someone who has done a good job.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM

13,474 posts, read 43,026,161 times
You know, reading this thread, I can see that the knuckleheads in the chain garages are polluting the psychic environment for good legitimate shops.

To get to the original question: Bringing in your own parts to try to save money is nuts, for the reasons that shop owners have already posted up. And, like asking to borrow a tool, it's bad form, brands you as someone who does not know jack about cars or the car service industry.

I have had a couple of instances where I brought in my own part - last time was when I had a set of Koni shocks installed on my old Scirocco - Ordered the shocks and brought them in, of course the shop (people I have known for a long time and had done considerable business with) said they will put them on but can't warrenty them as parts - I was cool with that because the Konis are a premium shock and seldom go bad.

OP, if you want to save money on car service, really the only way to do it is either learn to DIY, (the high road) or go to a "backyard" type shop that's not in business as such, does not have insurance, etc. etc. (the low road). And if you take the low road, realize the risks you are taking. If you have an old beater that you wouldn't be that upset if it burnt up in a shop fire and you didn't get any real compensation for it - OK fine. But if you have a more valuable car, you might want to think before doing this.

People tend to think service work is a big motoring expense, while if you do the maths, you will see you are spending way more on fuel than on service, oil, or tires. If you drive a car, realize that the money you spend on gas is not all it's going to cost. If people would put $2 in a jar for every $10 they spent on gas, for the most part they would have the cash to do that clutch job, set of tires, or whatever when it's due.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,517,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, reading this thread, I can see that the knuckleheads in the chain garages are polluting the psychic environment for good legitimate shops.

To get to the original question: Bringing in your own parts to try to save money is nuts, for the reasons that shop owners have already posted up. And, like asking to borrow a tool, it's bad form, brands you as someone who does not know jack about cars or the car service industry.

I have had a couple of instances where I brought in my own part - last time was when I had a set of Koni shocks installed on my old Scirocco - Ordered the shocks and brought them in, of course the shop (people I have known for a long time and had done considerable business with) said they will put them on but can't warrenty them as parts - I was cool with that because the Konis are a premium shock and seldom go bad.

OP, if you want to save money on car service, really the only way to do it is either learn to DIY, (the high road) or go to a "backyard" type shop that's not in business as such, does not have insurance, etc. etc. (the low road). And if you take the low road, realize the risks you are taking. If you have an old beater that you wouldn't be that upset if it burnt up in a shop fire and you didn't get any real compensation for it - OK fine. But if you have a more valuable car, you might want to think before doing this.

People tend to think service work is a big motoring expense, while if you do the maths, you will see you are spending way more on fuel than on service, oil, or tires. If you drive a car, realize that the money you spend on gas is not all it's going to cost. If people would put $2 in a jar for every $10 they spent on gas, for the most part they would have the cash to do that clutch job, set of tires, or whatever when it's due.
Thanks for the tip, I made a post earlier today that when I called the place up, they offered me the option to bring in the belt first, which according to some of the folks here, shouldn't be an option. After the conversation I've even asked them why they would offer in the first place, they explained that their garage wont always carry certain parts so sending a guy to get a part by driving all over town would only increase labor cost as well as part inflation. When I gave them my make and model of the car they've checked and said they don't carry belts for that type of vehicle and recommended me to visit the part shop and order one and pay for labor. They could of easily said we'd do it and charge me 600 dollars and me being none the wiser.

As they are pretty much a "backyard" Independent shop run by like 4-5 people who are family/friends. They also recommended the place to buy the belt from since they do business with said store for years, and would rather have me get the part and save some money than have one of their guys drive and get it and I'd pay more. Somehow with the amount of cars I saw there as I was driving past I don't think they're hurting for money right now so stroke of generosity?

I'm well aware of the risk, the way I see it would be no different than to do it myself and risk it not working and I'd have to pay someone even more to fix it proper, or pay someone under the table that may or may not do it well resulting in me paying someone else to fix it proper. Only thing they told be they'd be liable for was labor, but if I were to buy a cheap belt then THAT would be on me. Perhaps this is their way of getting out of some kind of liability?

Maybe this is a small town thing, we have a computer repair store that can build PCs with their parts for a inflated price, or you can buy your own components and they can build it and just pay for labor. Another place that seems to do real well in this economy as our IT department uses them quite often.

I've seen few large city type shops open with the mentality that the customer is my ***** and they never last long. Not saying that it's always that way, but somethings just never mesh well here. Heck, if a professional did the job for the amount they made you pay and they screw it up, I highly doubt they'd make up for the mistake because:

1. They'd make you pay again for them to fix their msitake, or deny the mistake and make you look like a fool

2. The customer is so enraged they'd never take their vehicle to that place ever again.

Perhaps I'm only thinking about the "chains" that do business that way and not legit independent shops.

Quote:
I'm just wondering about the cheapskates here worrying about getting ripped off while they waste their employers time using his computer and his time trying to save money.

I hate friggin cheapskates.
You work for Brakemasters? I kid, I kid... but, what does this have to do about using employer's computers?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,276,826 times
I've bought my own parts and paid for labor pleeenty of times. I now have a friend that works for a dealer and he gets the parts to me for 1/2 what is normally charged. I also get the labor at a discount too, I never asked for the discount either they just gave it to me one day.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 8,786,010 times
Again, everyone is more than welcome to do whatever you want for repairs. But I will say that those of you who insist on supplying your own parts and paying only for labor, and think that you are saving lots of money, are kidding yourselves.

For instance, if you buy your own brake pads and pay a mobile mechanic $50 for his labor, are you saving money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive