U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,473,253 times

Advertisements

My daughter brought (my) her car home today and said there is a squealing noise coming from the area of the front right tire. I checked out the tires and noticed that both front tires are almost bald.

Is it possible the squealing noise is from the tire itself vs. from something else? I would like to take it in for new tires tomorrow but am wondering what else may be an issue so I don't get tricked in to something it really doesn't need.

The brakes seem to be working properly but I will have them check them out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 8,695,821 times
Many brake pads have a wear indicator that, when the pads get down to about 25%, rub against the rotor and squeal. They're designed to warn you to check your brake pads.

That'd be my first guess.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 15,788,877 times
Has she hit something with her tires lately? Maybe the alignment has been knocked so far out that the front tire is screeching on the pavement.

However, it sounds like a worn brake pad. It could also be a axle bearing going bad. If that is the case, fix it quickly as it will wear into your spindle and that is a very costly repair.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM

16,476 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Tires can screech if the alignment is really far out of whack. Does the car squeal in a straight line but the noise goes away when you apply the brakes?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,652,204 times
I agree with Garage Logic . . . Brake Pad Wear Indicator.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Do they squeal all the time, or just when turning? Could just be unequal inflation. Is the bald pattern uniform, or are they balder in some tread spots than others, or worse on the inside or outside edge?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
No matter the cause of the noise, replace the bald tires, which are a safety hazard.

In my experience, the brake wear indicator is a distinct sound of metal on metal. Sounds like a scrape or even a screech. Tire squeal is the familiar sound of rubber sliding on pavement.

If the noise happens only on cornering without brakes applied then the tire is likely the cause. It could be underinflated (in addition to being bald).

Last edited by hoffdano; 11-11-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM

674 posts, read 1,473,253 times
Thank you all for your responses so far.

From what my daughter told me, and this is coming from a 21-year old girl who knows nothing about cars, the sound started on Friday as more of a rubbing sound at a certain point of the rotation (rub... rub... rub...) while driving straight at slow speeds but would disappear when she hit 20 mph or higher. The sound got louder/more noticeable when she made right-hand turns at slow speeds. I'm not sure if she didn't make any left-hand turns or if she didn't notice the noise when she did. The sound progressed to more of a squealing noise on Saturday and was quite noticeable to me when I took the car for a short drive late last night.

I drove the car to work this morning so I can get some new tires put on this afternoon (since they need them anyway) and noticed that the sound was much quieter than it was last night. It is still there, though.

Braking does not make any difference in the sound, but speed does (slower speed = more noise). Both of the front tires have noticeable less tread on the outer sides of the tires than the middle and inner sides. My daughter says she hasn't hit anything that would throw the alignment off, but I can't confirm that.

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
more of a rubbing sound at a certain point of the rotation (rub... rub... rub...) while driving straight at slow speeds but would disappear when she hit 20 mph or higher. The sound got louder/more noticeable when she made right-hand turns at slow speeds..

Aha. Wheel bearing. There might be two unequally spaced rubs per rotation. Rubrub, rubrub, rubrub . . .

Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 8,695,821 times
Yeah, like jtur88 said, kind of starting to sound like a wheel bearing to me.

Also sounds like the alignment is off. If the steering wheel isn't pulling one way or the other, it's probably not horrible. Just enough to make for uneven wear on the tires.

Can you provide us with the year, make & model of the car? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or