Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
So, I was at a busy intersection signaling to turn right, from the right lane with a red light. There was a pretty obvious sign hanging that indicated that right turn on reds wasn't allowed (the sign was one with a right turn inside a circle with a line through it).

The car behind me obviously didn't see the sign (I guess) and starts honking for me to make the turn. I didn't do it because of the sign. After the light turned green, I made the turn and the person behind me turns, pulls out on the left and speeds past me in a huff.

What's the deal? Turning right on red is an option in my opinion, not an obligation. And people don't have a right to complain if you wait for a green light. Sometimes the window available to make a turn is too brief to squeeze out into oncoming traffic.

Turning right on red is an OPTION. You don't have to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you were that guy honking at me I'd turn off my engine and get out of the car and ask you if your headlights work too. Then I'd slowly get back in my car and sit through a couple of signals blocking you in as the other vehicles pass you on the left.
Not really that guy would probably get around you.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
If you were that guy honking at me I'd turn off my engine and get out of the car and ask you if your headlights work too. Then I'd slowly get back in my car and sit through a couple of signals blocking you in as the other vehicles pass you on the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Honk away if that make you happy. Probably would just make me slower.
Well that would sure fix their wagon, wouldn't it? Never mind that in your puerile zeal to settle the score with someone who bruised your fragile ego that you'd also be messing with other motorists who did nothing to you whatsoever.

But hey, who cares as long as you get to exact your playground revenge from the comfort and safety of a two-ton metal cage? And who cares if it makes you no less -- or even more -- of a dick than the dick you're trying to teach a lesson to? After all, the lesson you're teaching to the offender is so much more important than the one they're teaching to you that it's worth impeding the flow of traffic to teach it.

Be a grown-up, move with the flow of traffic, and make everyone's day a little easier. If you're too thin-skinned to do that, then take a bus, ride a bike, walk, or stay the fck home.

Last edited by Drover; 11-16-2013 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Be a grown-up, move with the flow of traffic, and make everyone's day a little easier. If you're too thin-skinned to do that, then take a bus, ride a bike, walk, or stay the fck home.
Or not.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Honk away if that make you happy. Probably would just make me slower.
Well that would sure fix their wagon, wouldn't it? Never mind that in your puerile zeal to settle the score with someone who bruised your fragile ego you'd also be messing with numerous commuters who did nothing to you whatsoever. But hey, who cares as long as you get to exact playground revenge from the comfort of a two-ton metal cage?

Be a grown-up, move with the flow of traffic, and make everyone's day a little easier. If you can't bother, take the bus or ride a bike.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Shorthand for "I'm fine with being a road-raging dick who causes even more problems than the road-raging dick I'm trying to teach a lesson to.".

It seems every day I'm validated in my belief that we need to stop issuing drivers' licenses to every worthless meatsack who shows up at the DMV with a pulse and a $10 bill.
If driving a bit slower when someone is honking at me to do something I don't need to do makes me a "road raging dick" in your mind I'm fine with that. Personally that isn't my definition of road rage.

I have also been known to drive slower when someone is tailgaiting me for no reason.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Or not.
Shorthand for "I'm fine with being a road-raging dick who causes more problems for more people than the road-raging dick I'm trying to teach a lesson to.".

It seems every day I'm validated in my belief that we need to stop issuing drivers' licenses to every worthless meatsack who shows up at the DMV with a pulse and a $10 bill.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Shorthand for "I'm fine with being a road-raging dick who causes more problems for more people than the road-raging dick I'm trying to teach a lesson to.".

Generally I don't spew coffee through my nose. Today is an exception.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
Drover, you're on a roll!

Quote:
*chick. I'm female.

There was actually a big, burly dude in a pickup truck who almost reacted the way that you described. He didn't get out of his car but instead glared and pointed at me through his rearview mirror and gave me the finger. I just drove around him once traffic was clear on the left. He shouted something as I passed, but I didn't hear what it was.

Frankly, I agree with Drover that you're reaction and that truck driver's reaction are significantly worse than my honking. It's not like I repeatedly slam on the horn or hold it for a few seconds. I usually just beep once because the issue is that the driver ahead of me has zoned out or is texting. It's rare that the driver isn't turning because they're overly cautious. If the latter is the case and the driver gets mad because I honked, then Drover is 100% right that that driver is way too thin-skinned to be on the road.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM

143 posts, read 246,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
So, I was at a busy intersection signaling to turn right, from the right lane with a red light. There was a pretty obvious sign hanging that indicated that right turn on reds wasn't allowed (the sign was one with a right turn inside a circle with a line through it).

The car behind me obviously didn't see the sign (I guess) and starts honking for me to make the turn. I didn't do it because of the sign. After the light turned green, I made the turn and the person behind me turns, pulls out on the left and speeds past me in a huff.

What's the deal? Turning right on red is an option in my opinion, not an obligation. And people don't have a right to complain if you wait for a green light. Sometimes the window available to make a turn is too brief to squeeze out into oncoming traffic.
You are so right. It is merely an option, not an obligation, but don't be surprised if you encounter honks from the people behind you lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive