Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times

Advertisements

It's becoming too expensive for a lot of people, higher prices for gas (mostly summer), higher insurance premiums, higher personal property taxes, and also factor in the government's greed for more revenue have turned highways in some areas into Soviet Union-like totalitarian police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
#1. You don't get laid via social media. Have to do in corpore.
#2. Gas dropped below $3.
I don't know if you are saying it is under $3 now, or it has been below $3 at some point in the last few years. If you mean now, while it is below $3 in some areas, it is still $3.43 at the gas station across from my office, which is about average in Boise right now, and the national average today is $3.21

So the poster who said gas is just over $3/gallon is correct for the average American.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's all a giant, 100-plus-year-old government conspiracy?

Who knew?

What's stopping you?
The same thing that's stopping everyone else. I'm addicted to it. If I don't drive, I don't earn money. I'm working toward breaking that addiction.

Government conspiracies are all over the place, so at the very least, it's a plausible explanation.

As for the interstate system, they say it was created as a way to transport the military. Right. Where I used to live, in New Jersey, there were government roads that civilians could not use. If they were that concerned about transporting the military, they could've made a road system that only the government or the military could use. Soldiers ain't going anywhere fast on the interstates at rush hour near big cities, that's for REAL sure.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
The same thing that's stopping everyone else. I'm addicted to it. If I don't drive, I don't earn money. I'm working toward breaking that addiction.

Government conspiracies are all over the place, so at the very least, it's a plausible explanation.

As for the interstate system, they say it was created as a way to transport the military. Right. Where I used to live, in New Jersey, there were government roads that civilians could not use. If they were that concerned about transporting the military, they could've made a road system that only the government or the military could use. Soldiers ain't going anywhere fast on the interstates at rush hour near big cities, that's for REAL sure.

The interstate was created (mostly) for the military. The fact that we get to use is is a bonus. One of the requirements was that every x number of miles there had to be a flat (ish) straight section long enough to land large planes for transport of troops and weapons.

If the military needs to travel at high speeds on your local freeways and highways, they will. Because when they are, you aren't, which means they have the roads all to themselves.

- Mr. Obvious Mann -

Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The interstate was created (mostly) for the military. The fact that we get to use is is a bonus. One of the requirements was that every x number of miles there had to be a flat (ish) straight section long enough to land large planes for transport of troops and weapons.

If the military needs to travel at high speeds on your local freeways and highways, they will. Because when they are, you aren't, which means they have the roads all to themselves.

- Mr. Obvious Mann -
That's a myth. The only real ink to the military I can find is the "Pershing Plan" from the early 1920's which suggested the advantage of certain roads for military travel.

One Mile in Five: Debunking the Myth - Vol. 63· No. 6 - Public Roads

Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
#1. You don't get laid via social media. Have to do in corpore.
#2. Gas dropped below $3.
#1 Hook up culture. Kids don't go on dates, as you knew it. They hang out on via facebook, SMS each other, then go out in groups, and hook up at one of their friend's houses when they have a party (likely driven there by mom or dad), to keep guys interested girls send nude selfies.

Plenty of teenage guys couldn't care less to see a girl in person. Before breakfast, they probably have seen a hundred naked girls on the internet.

Also, plenty of preaching by school administrators about date rape. So, some guys just walk away from issues.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please name a mainstream car made in the 1980s or 1990s that was fun to drive.

Mazda RX-7, Toyota Celica, BMW 3-series. And that’s just in the early-1980s, regarded by many as the nadir of automotive performance in modern times. None of these cars accelerated as like modern cars, but they were tossable and responsive because they were light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Performance is not the main reason for owning a classic muscle car. Most of them would beat any Camry in a flat out straight track contest... but without expensive modifications they were pretty bad for handling and safety.
The modern V6 Camry makes around 270 hp, net. Mainstream 3.5L-3.7L V6s today are in the low 300-hp range, and variable valve timing produces substantial low-end torque without sacrificing high-end hp. This is comparable to the mainstream versions of the muscle-car big block V8s at the height of the muscle car era and its spillover into the early 1970s (Chrysler 440, Chevy 454, Ford 460); don’t forget net vs. gross hp ratings.

The trouble with modern cars is their enormous weight! This bad for both performance and efficiency. The BMW 3-series is 1000 pounds heavier today than it was when the 3-series debuted. If manufacturers could spend the same investment on weight reduction that they’ve spent on improving power and aerodynamics, gas mileage would doubtless improve even further.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
1. Teenagers no longer go get a license the day they turn 16 because of social media, allowing them to keep in touch without driving to friend's houses.
When I turned 16, like most of my peers, I was able to get my driver's license, because I had completed driver education training at the public high school I attended. Back then, there was no social media, or internet. No cell phones, either. Most households a single phone line shared by the entire household (with no call waiting), and it was hardwired into the wall (no cordless phones, either).

You wanted to visit with a friend, you could try to reach them on the shared family home phone, but that would tie up the line for the duration. No one else could call in or out. Neither party could move any further than the phone cord would reach. Usually, it was just less disruptive to drive over and pay them a visit in person. Having a license to drive (and access to a car) facilitated one's ability to socialize with others.

Now, virtually everybody has a personal cell phone. There's the internet, which brings with it communication tools like email, chat, social networking, and Skype. The high school I attended doesn't even offer driver education anymore. So we've made it more difficult for teens to become drivers, and it's become much easier to visit with someone through the use of modern technology, rather than hopping in a car and driving someplace to see them in person.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Performance is not the main reason for owning a classic muscle car. Most of them would beat any Camry in a flat out straight track contest but without expensive modifications they were pretty bad for handling and safety.

I was sad to give up my 1972 El Camino a few years ago when gas was over $4 and it was my daily driver, getting 11 mpg. I miss the sound of air being sucked in through the cowl induction hood, the smell of unburned gas, the roar of the dual oversized exhaust with high flow mufflers. It would burn rubber all day long though I would never do something like that!
A 2012 Camry SE does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 14.1. The 2013 or 2014 may be faster. Except for the highest performing versions of stock musclecars, the Camry is as fast if not faster. Certainly close enough to not brag about musclecar performance!

For instance:

http://www.chicagoholdenconnection.c...-to-G8-and-GTO

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-19-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
A 2012 Camry SE does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 14.1. The 2013 or 2014 may be faster. Except for the highest performing versions of stock musclecars, the Camry is as fast if not faster. Certainly close enough to not brag about musclecar performance!

For instance:

Classic muscle car 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, Very interesting comparison to G8 and GTO

Some people are strongly obsessed about some particular brands or models and then state their beliefs like facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive