Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:13 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times

Advertisements

"...Americans have been driving less, getting fewer licenses, and using less gas..."

A continuation of trends that started before the recession.

Crash: The Decline of U.S. Driving in 6 Charts - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I heard someone at a party say she couldn't afford to buy cigarettes if she replaced her blown tire. So she didn't drive for a week. How does that figure in?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I hope this trend continues so some of this congestion clears up.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I heard someone at a party say she couldn't afford to buy cigarettes if she replaced her blown tire. So she didn't drive for a week. How does that figure in?
The word is "stupid". Or perhaps addicted. Weak?

Pick one. They're all viable.

And to comment on the OP: Every time I take the freeway I have a hard time believing it, but facts are facts.

I wonder if the miles per driver going down is partially the result of so many baby boomers retiring and not driving that commute. 10,000 drivers retiring every day and changing their driving habits has to have an effect.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Just goes to show that when sitting in that parking lot known as a freeway on the way home from work it could be a lot worse. Around here the data shows the reduced number of drivers are mainly from 2 factors:

1. Teenagers no longer go get a license the day they turn 16 because of social media, allowing them to keep in touch without driving to friend's houses.

2. People (like me) that started taking the bus to work when gas got to over $4/gallon found they liked it and stuck to it even now that it's back to just over $3. The oil companies have screwed themselves. Park & Rides are so full they are considering charging people to park in some of them.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I couldn't believe that kids today did not want to get a car, until I saw it with my own eyes. There is one kid in my neighborhood who just got a used Honda Accord. He's very responsible, mows neighborhood lawns in the summer, runs track and field, and with school now in session has a part time job. He wanted a car very much, unfortunately, most kids are not like him these days. They are content with staying home and playing video games all day. They don't want to have to get a job to be able to pay for gas and insurance, they're fine with their parents driving them around.

A long time friend of mine, his kid just turned 16 also. Didn't care about getting a car at all, but his dad bought him a used one anyway so he'd be able to go do things. Never drove it. His dad finally made him get a job, because despite the fact he never drives, once he hit 16 he was automatically put on my friends insurance and the cost jumped way up.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

1. Teenagers no longer go get a license the day they turn 16 because of social media, allowing them to keep in touch without driving to friend's houses.

2. People (like me) that started taking the bus to work when gas got to over $4/gallon found they liked it and stuck to it even now that it's back to just over $3. The oil companies have screwed themselves. Park & Rides are so full they are considering charging people to park in some of them.

#1. You don't get laid via social media. Have to do in corpore.
#2. Gas dropped below $3.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 PM

90 posts, read 109,153 times
Some teens in my neighborhood do not have a driving licenses... why bother when mom and dad are taxicabs.

Some of them are coming back after college... wonder why... eternal teenagers like it is happening in Europe?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
"...Americans have been driving less, getting fewer licenses, and using less gas..."

A continuation of trends that started before the recession.

Crash: The Decline of U.S. Driving in 6 Charts - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

1997: Age 17. Got my license. I was THRILLED.

1999: Age 19. Got my first car. I was EVEN MORE THRILLED. I would drive around just to drive around. Premium gas was $1.29 per gallon, so even that gas-guzzling Cadillac wasn't THAT expensive to operate.

2001: Saw regular gas rocket up to $1.75 per gallon. Couldn't believe my eyes. But since this was all part of the plan, gas prices went back down to 99 cents per gallon by the end of the year.

2002: By the end of this year, gas was up 50% again. Should've known it was to be a big problem.

2004: Gas jumped from $1.44/gallon to $1.69/gallon overnight. I call this "the beginning of the end".

2005: Did what I never imagined I'd do, when gas topped $3/gallon. I bought a small 4-cylinder car.

2006: Good thing I wasn't driving that 4-cylinder car the night I had an accident due to a drunk driver. Who knows how banged-up I'd have been.

2008: I really wondered how people survived $4/gallon gas and $5/gallon diesel.

2009: To keep Americans thinking that there could be relief ahead, such that they wouldn't abandon cars en masse, gas prices were allowed to go back down to $1.29 per gallon. I saw them as low as $1.03 on the news.

2012: I started realizing exactly what's up with driving.

And here it is.

The government encouraged America to become vehicle-dependent through highway subsidies, the creation of the interstate system, and who knows how many subsidies to the automotive and petroleum industries. People moved further away from their jobs so they didn't have to remain in crime-ridden cities and could have room to stretch out, figuring that they could just drive. When the suburban culture was very firmly entrenched, so that people were completely addicted to driving, that was one goal accomplished. The other was the aggregation of manufacturing to certain localities in America, as well as many overseas. This guaranteed that most things were made "far away" and had to be transported to the rest of the country via truck or railroad. This is accomplished goal #2. After both of these became inextricably woven into the fabric of American society, gas prices were quadrupled. Now the payday had come. Now, when people couldn't just give up the use of vehicles propelled by petroleum-burning engines, they were going to be bitten where it hurt.

Furthermore, why do we drive? Answer: to get somewhere quickly. Y'ever tried driving in a densely populated area during the morning and late afternoon? You ain't going ANYWHERE quickly.

Road construction.

Property taxes to fund roads.

Accidents.

Detours.

Tolls and tollbooths.

Traffic lights that stay green forever while no cars go through the intersection and then turn yellow just as you approach. Then they stay red for over a minute while exactly one car goes through the cross street.

Money-hungry jurisdictions that use police officers as revenue-generating machines. (Why else would they sit at the side of the highway with radar guns out, when they SHOULD be patrolling dangerous neighborhoods to keep drugs and crime minimized?)

Outrageous costs to repair and maintain vehicles.

Registration costs.

State inspections with their costs.

Driver's license renewal costs.

Constantly being surrounded by lunatics while driving, rendering it extremely unsafe.

Insurance costs.

Depreciation on your new / newer vehicle.

And you could still break down in a dangerous area.

Sometimes I think... I'll just ride a bike. I'm almost 34 years old and I would LOVE to be able to give up driving. I hate being beholden to, and essentially dependent upon, something that subjects me to that much negativity on such a regular basis.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post
. . eternal teenagers like it is happening in Europe?
What do you mean? In Europe the drinking age is 18 or less, and the age of consent is 16 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive