U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,820,795 times

Advertisements

I fully admit I was an aggressive driver when I was in my early-mid 20's. I think I saw the road as my personal racetrack... as I mainly received citations for speeding. I didn't tailgate but with city driving (in L.A. or downtown Chicago) I would cut people off (like a taxi driver). Yup. I was a jerk. Now I'm easy going - although (I'm still in the fast lane on the freeway) because I think the key to safe driving is being predictable and following the road rules (and of course, being keenly aware of others).

What gets me, is aggressive driving in bad road conditions. It never ceases to amaze me how people's IQ level drops when the rain hits the road... speeding, sudden lane changes, etc. I've even seen people speed down the road - while it was pouring rain - in the BIKE lane. I've also seen people fly by me in snowing/rainy conditions on the highway (only to be found 2 miles later with the car on the side of the road... on it's side or wrapped around a pole).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
The best thing I have found is to just give em a big smile and wave.........that really ticks em off.
That's true, it's the best way to handle some rude person who is just looking to provoke someone else… and it's also less likely to push someone who's right on the edge over it. I'm not even kidding about that part…

A few weeks back, I saw an intersection incident where some lady flipped off some guy and he got out of his car and started pounding on her window and yelling every sort of profanity imaginable until she drove off. I'm not sure whose fault it all was in the first place, but it doesn't really matter, because even if she did nothing else wrong she needs to count herself lucky that the guy didn't have a gun or even a tire iron very handy.

I knew another guy years ago that got into some sort of incident with another driver who then proceeded to get out, smash his window, drag him out of the vehicle and beat him to death. I'm not sure if the finger had anything to do with it or not because it happened in a pretty remote spot and all they had to go on was the after-the-fact police report. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't an entirely random act of unbridled road rage.

Not that anyone asked, but my advice is DON'T go around flipping people off, even when they 'deserve' it. At best it brings you down to their level, at worst it could lead to a really ugly incident if you find the wrong person on the wrong day.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 PM

20,410 posts, read 37,792,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent Overcast View Post
"why are people so aggressive when driving?"

Simple reason... other drivers
Nope. No one else makes you aggressive, you have to take responsibility for your own reactions all on your own.

Either that, or you're too young by about 11 or 12 years to have a driver's license.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,126,765 times
I respond to aggressive driving by countering them. Someone wants to speed up and prevent me from changing lanes, okay....I'm coming over anyway.

Someone wants to tailgate me, seems like a good time to rest my foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

A driver is blocking the intersection. My light turns green, I'm getting in the intersection an will block you from getting out of the intersection. I can't move until they move. Left red runner, I'm cutting them off as well. I'll leave them stuck in the interchange against the light.

Four way stop. Go when it's your turn (whoever stops first and the driver to the right has the right of way) and do not yield to the driver that is stealing your turn. You make them wait for you.

A driver merging in the highway. They want to cheat, force them into the shoulder and let them try again and accelerate like they are suppose to.

I usually slow down when someone has their blinkers on but I do have a problem with those who wait just as I am approaching them to decide to change lanes. I wish they were just change when I gave them the opportunity to do so.

The lane queue jumpers...I am not letting them in unless it is a zipper merge and I do not take kind to those block my lane in order to jump the line. Zipper Merge is different. It is not a exit only lane, it's a lane that is ending. Lane ends 1/2 means I have a 1/2 mile to use this lane until it ends. There is no hurry to cram into an already congested lane while holding up traffic from behind. You alternate between turns at the end of the lane. As with the four way stop, someone wants to take my turn, I'm not yielding to them. Most people are uninformed and think that those who use are being jerks. They are just making better use of the lane than those who panic the second they see lane is ending. Those people end jamming up one lane when the lane ending still has some use.

The closer I am driving to the speed limit, the more frequent I get tailgated. I recommend not entering the passing lane at all unless the vehicle is about 3-4 vehicle lengths behind. This gives me time to complete my pass as well as the driver in the left lane time to adjust his/her speed. The taking the foot off the gas method does not work in the left lane because there are just too many people moving at higher speeds. It is best to just get out of the way as soon as possible.

To those who sit in the left lane and refuse to move over, I'm not passing until they move over. Anyone behind me is going to have a problem with the driver in the left lane, not me. I do not pass on the right except when the opposite lane is stopped. I do not like being pass on the right and I will not do it either. People sliding from the left lane to the right to exit is a good reason why should not pass on the right.

Aggressive driving is easy to counter. I do not need to interact with them. People are not going to admit when they made a mistake so why bother arguing with them.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I respond to aggressive driving by countering them. Someone wants to speed up and prevent me from changing lanes, okay....I'm coming over anyway.

Someone wants to tailgate me, seems like a good time to rest my foot off the gas pedal for a moment.

A driver is blocking the intersection. My light turns green, I'm getting in the intersection an will block you from getting out of the intersection. I can't move until they move. Left red runner, I'm cutting them off as well. I'll leave them stuck in the interchange against the light.

Four way stop. Go when it's your turn (whoever stops first and the driver to the right has the right of way) and do not yield to the driver that is stealing your turn. You make them wait for you.

A driver merging in the highway. They want to cheat, force them into the shoulder and let them try again and accelerate like they are suppose to.

I usually slow down when someone has their blinkers on but I do have a problem with those who wait just as I am approaching them to decide to change lanes. I wish they were just change when I gave them the opportunity to do so.

The lane queue jumpers...I am not letting them in unless it is a zipper merge and I do not take kind to those block my lane in order to jump the line. Zipper Merge is different. It is not a exit only lane, it's a lane that is ending. Lane ends 1/2 means I have a 1/2 mile to use this lane until it ends. There is no hurry to cram into an already congested lane while holding up traffic from behind. You alternate between turns at the end of the lane. As with the four way stop, someone wants to take my turn, I'm not yielding to them. Most people are uninformed and think that those who use are being jerks. They are just making better use of the lane than those who panic the second they see lane is ending. Those people end jamming up one lane when the lane ending still has some use.

The closer I am driving to the speed limit, the more frequent I get tailgated. I recommend not entering the passing lane at all unless the vehicle is about 3-4 vehicle lengths behind. This gives me time to complete my pass as well as the driver in the left lane time to adjust his/her speed. The taking the foot off the gas method does not work in the left lane because there are just too many people moving at higher speeds. It is best to just get out of the way as soon as possible.

To those who sit in the left lane and refuse to move over, I'm not passing until they move over. Anyone behind me is going to have a problem with the driver in the left lane, not me. I do not pass on the right except when the opposite lane is stopped. I do not like being pass on the right and I will not do it either. People sliding from the left lane to the right to exit is a good reason why should not pass on the right.

Aggressive driving is easy to counter. I do not need to interact with them. People are not going to admit when they made a mistake so why bother arguing with them.
So, what you're saying is those that have been in the correct lane for far longer than you have can just wait for, oh, let's say 30 cars, to get into the lane before they can move on? Really?

I disagree, and a lot of other people do, as well. The time to merge is when the sign tells you that your lane is ending and to merge right or left rather than rushing up to the front so you can try to push yoyur way in ahead of everyone else. (Now, be honest, that's exactly what you're doing.) Observing this in action, I've noticed that when people do start merging when the sign tells them to do so, people are happy to let them in and merging (zippering) goes very smoothly. When someone decides to rush up and push their way up to the front, they're much less likely to be happily let in, because the other drivers are not as dumb as the pushy one thinks and DO notice what they're doing.

Zippering is fine, when you do it at the point that the sign tells you that you need to do so. And guess what? It doesn't cause any more or less congestion than doing it your way, it just moves the congestion back a bit (and means that you don't get to run to the head of the line and push your way in, of course).

Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, what you're saying is those that have been in the correct lane for far longer than you have can just wait for, oh, let's say 30 cars, to get into the lane before they can move on? Really?

I disagree, and a lot of other people do, as well. The time to merge is when the sign tells you that your lane is ending and to merge right or left rather than rushing up to the front so you can try to push your way in ahead of everyone else. (Now, be honest, that's exactly what you're doing.) Observing this in action, I've noticed that when people do start merging when the sign tells them to do so, people are happy to let them in and merging (zippering) goes very smoothly. When someone decides to rush up and push their way up to the front, they're much less likely to be happily let in, because the other drivers are not as dumb as the pushy one thinks and DO notice what they're doing.

Zippering is fine, when you do it at the point that the sign tells you that you need to do so. And guess what? It doesn't cause any more or less congestion than doing it your way, it just moves the congestion back a bit (and means that you don't get to run to the head of the line and push your way in, of course).

When I see this sign, I am preparing to merge into the other lane. not a mile back. I clearly mentioned that you alternate between turns near the end of the lane. You're making another false accusation just so you can have something to post. I am not interested in being in front of everyone. I do not want to end up like this http://i.imgur.com/ruw8t.jpg. You can not push your way in if you alternate turns. It's not that difficult to be in position to take turns unless one person decides not to cooperate.

I do not think you fully understand how zipper merge works.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1409806.1378977143...pper-merge.jpg

http://www.wday.com/media/full/png/2...ippermerge.png

If using a lane more efficiently means pushing your way to the front, then so be it. I don't care what you or anyone else think.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM

I do understand how zipper merge works. And I've seen it work quite nicely when done at the point that the sign saying "Lane Ends, Merge Right" (or left) appears. It works exactly the same way as it would at the end, except that some don't get to push their way to the front of the line ahead of everyone else.

And I'm pretty sure you don't care what I or anyone else thinks, because you don't want to know what other people think of your behavior.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,617,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
When I see this sign, I am preparing to merge into the other lane. not a mile back. I clearly mentioned that you alternate between turns near the end of the lane. You're making another false accusation just so you can have something to post. I am not interested in being in front of everyone. I do not want to end up like this http://i.imgur.com/ruw8t.jpg. You can not push your way in if you alternate turns. It's not that difficult to be in position to take turns unless one person decides not to cooperate.

I do not think you fully understand how zipper merge works.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1409806.1378977143...pper-merge.jpg

http://www.wday.com/media/full/png/2...ippermerge.png

If using a lane more efficiently means pushing your way to the front, then so be it. I don't care what you or anyone else think.
And this person can also be the one who is rushing (and in fact runs on shoulder for a while so that he can overtake a few more) in the lane that is supposed to merge.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:58 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,545,171 times
Quote:

I disagree, and a lot of other people do, as well. The time to merge is when the sign tells you that your lane is ending and to merge right or left rather than rushing up to the front so you can try to push yoyur way in ahead of everyone else. (Now, be honest, that's exactly what you're doing.) Observing this in action, I've noticed that when people do start merging when the sign tells them to do so, people are happy to let them in and merging (zippering) goes very smoothly. When someone decides to rush up and push their way up to the front, they're much less likely to be happily let in, because the other drivers are not as dumb as the pushy one thinks and DO notice what they're doing.

Zippering makes the most sense when traffic is stop and go, or slow enough that people can keep track of whose turn it is. When traffic is free flowing at higher speeds, waiting till the end of the lane could prove hazardous to your health, if you misjudge anything!

There are several advantages of zippering that I can think of:
1. It keeps the speed consistent in both lanes. Both lanes are slowed down equally. Construction workers appreciate the slower speeds!
2. There is only one merge point, instead of many. So it moves slightly faster for everyone, instead of a standstill for one lane, and 80 for the other.
3. Line jumping is not possible!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure you don't care what I or anyone else thinks, because you don't want to know what other people think of your behavior.
My behavior? You mean not passing on the right in normal traffic flow, using the left lane for passing and yielding to faster vehicles, using my turn signals to change lanes, moving over when heavy traffic is merging, stay in lane when crossing through a intersection, not sliding across three lanes to exit, keeping a safe distance with the vehicle in front, not fooling around with my phone, not sitting at a green light for three seconds after it changed, not rolling through a stop sign.......yeah I'm all broken up about what you think of my driving behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or