U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 AM
 
4,750 posts, read 3,495,253 times
Reputation: 4944

Advertisements

I'm a very courteous driver, but there are things that annoy me, too.

a) Trying to get in my lane without signaling
b) Not signaling
c) Not taking advantage of opportunities I give to you (Ex: Purposely not moving up so you can get on the highway)
d) Braking for no reason
e) Stopping and then scooting up (JUST STOP THE DAMN CAR ALREADY!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2013, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIDontKnow View Post
Why are people so aggressive while driving?

The speed limit was 55, I was driving 75-80 in the middle lane of 3 lanes. Then, 10-12 cars went flying by me. They also gave me the "finger" for driving to slow. I was going 30 MPH over the speed limit.
Your entire post sounds like a serious exaggeration. For example if you were going 75 - 80 mph and 10-12 cars went flying by you, that would mean that they were going in excess of 100 mph. Very few people drive that fast. In 35 years of driving I have never seen 12 cars in a row driving that fast. 12 cars in a row driving 80 mph, maybe. One or two cars in a row driving 100 mph, maybe. 12 cars in a row driving 100 mph, and flipping you off for driving too slow at 80, I don't believe it.

BTW your math is bad. By your numbers, you were going 20 - 25 over, not 30. Just more evidence that you are exaggerating.

To know what your problem was, we would have to know what really happened. But I can take a guess anyway. First, I suspect you were driving a lot slower then 75/80. Probably closer to the speed limit or even below. Second when that many cars "fly" by at the same time it usually means that they were blocked up and couldn't pass for some time. That may not have been your fault. Maybe a another car in the left lane was blocking them, and finally moved over. Thats why all those cars went "flying" by you at the same time. It's basic human nature to accelerate to a speed faster then one would normally drive, after being frustrated by a slower moving car in front. Thats the time many drivers get speeding tickets.

My suggestion. Watch your mirrors. If you see cars jamming up behind you, move over and let them by. If you are in the #2 lane move to the #3 lane. Again it might not be you fault. It could be some left lane blocker in the #1 lane causing the problem. Regardless, just move over and let them through. It's the best thing for everybody, including you. Once they pass, you don't have to worry about impatient drivers behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM
 
Location: SoCal
1,523 posts, read 3,318,491 times
Reputation: 1140
And I've noticed that most of the aggressive drivers are driving old GM/Ford rust buckets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,413 posts, read 37,797,914 times
Reputation: 22560
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Your entire post sounds like a serious exaggeration. For example if you were going 75 - 80 mph and 10-12 cars went flying by you, that would mean that they were going in excess of 100 mph. Very few people drive that fast. In 35 years of driving I have never seen 12 cars in a row driving that fast. 12 cars in a row driving 80 mph, maybe. One or two cars in a row driving 100 mph, maybe. 12 cars in a row driving 100 mph, and flipping you off for driving too slow at 80, I don't believe it.

BTW your math is bad. By your numbers, you were going 20 - 25 over, not 30. Just more evidence that you are exaggerating.

To know what your problem was, we would have to know what really happened. But I can take a guess anyway. First, I suspect you were driving a lot slower then 75/80. Probably closer to the speed limit or even below. Second when that many cars "fly" by at the same time it usually means that they were blocked up and couldn't pass for some time. That may not have been your fault. Maybe a another car in the left lane was blocking them, and finally moved over. Thats why all those cars went "flying" by you at the same time. It's basic human nature to accelerate to a speed faster then one would normally drive, after being frustrated by a slower moving car in front. Thats the time many drivers get speeding tickets.

My suggestion. Watch your mirrors. If you see cars jamming up behind you, move over and let them by. If you are in the #2 lane move to the #3 lane. Again it might not be you fault. It could be some left lane blocker in the #1 lane causing the problem. Regardless, just move over and let them through. It's the best thing for everybody, including you. Once they pass, you don't have to worry about impatient drivers behind you.
Horrors! What are people THINKING when they drive the speed limit? That it might actually be a LIMIT? We can't have those!

The most dangerous drivers on the highway are those who think that the traffic laws are a suggestion (which would include the OP if they were really driving that fast in a 55) to be obeyed only if you really really feel like it, but mostly not because they're such extra special good drivers and there's no one else on the roads that counts, anyway. This attitude usually extends to things besides speed (or driving, for that matter), and is indicative of the worst drivers, not the best (as they inevitably consider themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
And I've noticed that most of the aggressive drivers are driving old GM/Ford rust buckets.
You should open your eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 9,305,354 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
And I've noticed that most of the aggressive drivers are driving old GM/Ford rust buckets.
Have to wonder how many people will take your bait - no matter how poor it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM
 
1,420 posts, read 2,635,645 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even more surprising, why do so many posters in this forum brag about being aggressive drivers?
It feels good to beat everyone to the red light by flooring the 275 hp engine resulting in 3MPG for that 1/2 mile stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,425 posts, read 8,779,173 times
Reputation: 7734
Bacause we are 96% the same as them. Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
347 posts, read 520,465 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
It feels good to beat everyone to the red light by flooring the 275 hp engine resulting in 3MPG for that 1/2 mile stretch.
I could understand this kind of behavior if there were no traffic ahead of the traffic light, which would allow that driver to blaze off at whatever speed he pleases. But it makes no sense to do that when there's clearly some heavy traffic ahead, because that car invariably only ends up maybe a few hundred feet max in front of me in spite of how aggressively he's changing lanes to try to "get ahead".

I have another question here. Say that I'm driving on a six lane highway, with three lanes going in each direction. I usually stay in the middle lane because I'm going 5-10 mph faster than the slower trucks and cars occupying the right lane, and the left lane is for passing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no reason for me to move to the right, even if faster drivers are barreling in behind me and switching to the left lane justinthenickoftime, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM
 
1,420 posts, read 2,635,645 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
I'm driving on a six lane highway, with three lanes going in each direction. I usually stay in the middle lane because I'm going 5-10 mph faster than the slower trucks and cars occupying the right lane, and the left lane is for passing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no reason for me to move to the right, even if faster drivers are barreling in behind me and switching to the left lane justinthenickoftime, right?
Sounds right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top