U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,351 posts, read 7,501,291 times
Reputation: 15950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
"Why are people 'aggressive'?"

Because we have somewhere to be and we don't want to get imprisoned behind jerks who drive 30 mph on a wide-open stretch of road, who love to hang out in the left-hand lane and take 5-10 seconds to take-off when the light turns green--and don't care that those actions slow down people behind them who are actually trying to GET somewhere.
So you blast your horn, rev up your overpowered toy, and shoot somebody "the bird" -- and 500 yards later you are forced to screech to a halt at a traffic signal, and the person you wanted to blow of the road is a few feet behind you.

Way to go, Billy-Bob! The guy or gal you insulted probably gets about twice the gas mileage you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIDontKnow View Post
Why are people so aggressive while driving?

The speed limit was 55, I was driving 75-80 in the middle lane of 3 lanes. Then, 10-12 cars went flying by me. They also gave me the "finger" for driving to slow. I was going 30 MPH over the speed limit.

Also, I was waiting as a family of ducks was crossing the street. I was waiting for them to cross. Another car went flying by. He clearly saw the ducks. He just drove right over them, killing the whole family. There was 1 duck and 6 baby ducks dead.

Another was I was in the middle lane driving. Three cars went from the left lane all the way to the right lane. I was driving at 70. The cars merged all the way to the exit. I almost crashed into them and they thought I was the bad driver.

One more was at a mall parking lot I was waiting for a spot. As I was pulling in, this car floored it and turned in . He didnt even let the other car pull put. When the car was exiting the spot, he was beeping and making "threatening gestures." I had to back out for him to get in. It took 5-10 mins to find another spot.

Why are people so aggressive while driving?
If the speed limit is 55 mph & cars are passing you while you're going 75-80 mph that's a sure sign that the speed limit is downright inappropriate. The safest, best speed limit is the 85th percentile speed. Try to request a traffic study of the road to see if the speed limit can be reset to an appropriate level for modern cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually you very much can, not have those. Robert Moses(?) designed 'modern' roads to an 85th percentile driver would feel reasonably comfortable at 80mph. A 55mph speed limit is an answer to a question no one asked. It makes huge amounts of revenue, however, for those municipal jurisdictions that choose to exploit the inbuilt instinct in people to "do what comes naturally". Enlightened jurisdictions flirt with the concept of doing away with speed limits all the time. They know it wouldn't actually hurt anyone to do that. Greed and corruption win out every time it goes to a vote though. Just saying...

H
Robert Moses was a New York City guy who designed the NYC highway system. (& gutted the City in the process, some would say)

Are you sure you weren't thinking of someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is that someone who closes the gap when you put your blinker on?
No one answered this question (they were goofily arguing speed limit policy/science, as usual on this Forum) so I shall pose it again for the original poster (but mostly for myself).

What's a gap closer? I'm guessing it's not someone who closes the GAP store at night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, you are so undisciplined a driver that you cannot abide boredom and yet you think that you are safe to be behind the wheel of a multi-thousand pound motor vehicle on the public roadways with many other drivers of many different abilities and vehicles in many different states of condition with your children in the car and that's your excuse for speeding and driving aggressively? And you think this is something that you should air, and expect to be admired for, on a public forum?

That about sum it up?
You are so tremendously trollish. You just make the same argument over & over & over again, ad nauseam. You never bend your opinion even when people give you valid arguments & you pass vile judgements on people you DON'T know. You never even seemed to answer that one guy's query: how many accidents have you personally been involved in? Were you at fault or was it someone else?

You just can't seem to get it through your head that when the majority of people are driving over a certain speed, that's a clear indication that "certain speed" is completely & totally inappropriate. Most people are good judges of what's a good velocity for the design & conditions for the road. They don't need some black numbers on a white box to tell them that. I dare say that drivers who are not good judges of what's an appropriate speed without the use of the speed limit signs are unsafe drivers.

Just another reason speed limits have to be appropriate for the design & conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Reputation: 19369
You don't say where you live. It sounds like an urban environment, where population density has driven people to the edge of being crazy. City people live in squalor and filth their whole lives, and it twists their emotions into a knot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 9,302,997 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
You are so tremendously trollish. You just make the same argument over & over & over again, ad nauseam. You never bend your opinion even when people give you valid arguments & you pass vile judgements on people you DON'T know.
Wow - talk about ironic...

The fact that you want to be free to drive whatever speed you darned well feel like driving only proves that you are selfish and immature.

Last edited by GarageLogic; 11-19-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,413 posts, read 37,792,946 times
Reputation: 22550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
You are so tremendously trollish. You just make the same argument over & over & over again, ad nauseam. You never bend your opinion even when people give you valid arguments & you pass vile judgements on people you DON'T know. You never even seemed to answer that one guy's query: how many accidents have you personally been involved in? Were you at fault or was it someone else?

You just can't seem to get it through your head that when the majority of people are driving over a certain speed, that's a clear indication that "certain speed" is completely & totally inappropriate. Most people are good judges of what's a good velocity for the design & conditions for the road. They don't need some black numbers on a white box to tell them that. I dare say that drivers who are not good judges of what's an appropriate speed without the use of the speed limit signs are unsafe drivers.

Just another reason speed limits have to be appropriate for the design & conditions.
Interesting that you say that I am the one making the same argument over and over and over, when the only time I make it is in response to your preferred argument. Could it be that you can't abide someone who doesn't buy your argument and says so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 9,302,997 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interesting that you say that I am the one making the same argument over and over and over, when the only time I make it is in response to your preferred argument. Could it be that you can't abide someone who doesn't buy your argument and says so?
This is the same kid who thinks that cops only exist as revenue generators, and that all of them are "out to get him." Obviously, things must be taken with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 AM
 
Location: USA
2,593 posts, read 3,569,409 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
No one answered this question (they were goofily arguing speed limit policy/science, as usual on this Forum) so I shall pose it again for the original poster (but mostly for myself).

What's a gap closer? I'm guessing it's not someone who closes the GAP store at night...
A driver that just cannot allow any type of gap to exist between them and another vehicle. Otherwise known as a chronic tailgater. Those types of drivers make it difficult to change lanes.

I'm fine with leaving huge gaps between my vehicle and the one in front of me. That's why I get 90,000 miles out of a set of brake pads and some drivers get as little as 30,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top