U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 AM

2,341 posts, read 9,302,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm guessing the 240k miles were on the original OEM pads? How did the replacement pads fare?
I went about 160k on the originals. I was still on the replacement pads when I hit ice and "kissed" a retaining wall.

Rule of thumb that I tell customers: Stay away from the cheapest brake pads, but how you drive is more important than spending $75 on extreme top-end pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My daughter used to do that until another "agressive" driver T-boned her when he pushed that yellow/red light of his into his petty mind as being Green............now she takes the time to look both ways even when her light is green.........
I've never been t-boned under those circumstances, but have come close. I'm cautious when going through green, ESPECIALLY when on the motorcycle. You can easily be right - dead right...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,653,571 times
I nearly got t-boned Sunday morning. Scared the crap outta me. First time it ever happened that close to me. Coming out of my subdivision there's a 4-way stop. Well, it's my turn & I move on, but this one woman doesn't stop for the stop sign! Came within 10 feet of t-boning me. The level of incompetence in this city...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,291,905 times
Quote:
My daughter used to do that until another "agressive" driver T-boned her when he pushed that yellow/red light of his into his petty mind as being Green............now she takes the time to look both ways even when her light is green.........
I agree 100% that you should look both ways as here in NJ many people run red lights. I tend to glance as I see the cross lights turning yellow to see who may be a potential hazzard and proceed accordingly.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM

810 posts, read 1,229,705 times
Probably too many people are too young to have watched malevolence become an acceptable lifestyle choice during the 1990s. There are people who haven't even noticed that cars today are made with angry and belligerent facial expressions (Toyota even makes their "cute" cars this way). There are people who think that that sort of thing is normal.

Just a few minutes ago I saw an ad for a new movie, featuring Bruce Willis angrily scowling at you and me, his paying customers. What a p--z.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,787,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
#1 is not true, my friend. I got pulled over for 10 over the limit when I didn't even know what the limit was... and the cop wouldn't let me off with only a warning despite how, in 13 years of driving to that point, I'd never gotten a ticket. This was in Texas, by the way.

#2 is not always possible. You can't just pull over. First of all, you don't know what's on the side of the road that could burst a tire. Secondly, stopping and then re-accelerating wastes gas. Thirdly, if you're in such thick traffic that you'd have to do this anyway, good luck getting back into the flow of traffic from a dead stop. Fourth, if you're in the slow lane, you're allowed to drive slowly as long as you're at or above the posted minimum speed (if there is a posted minimum speed). Fifth, let 'em get mad. Maybe you have to drive slowly. You owe nobody an explanation. (However, this is indeed one reason why people get mad on the highway. I myself have screamed at drivers who don't seem to know where the accelerator is. And, like everyone else, I was not thinking at the time about how the targets of my wrath could not hear my screams.)
If they HAVE to drive slowly maybe they should stay off high speed roads. When I was younger I was right there in the center lane moving quickly. I have aged. my reflexes are not what they used to be. I stay the hell off the interstates and expressways for my safety and yours.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM

43,538 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Quote:
You should absolutely watch out on a new green light.
Cannot tell you what a problem red light runners are.
My brother got tboned - and he started from a dead stop and the lady still ran the light.
I nearly got hit by a guy at least 8-10 seconds after his light went red.
I mean, this happens all the time - people are too busy on their cell phones or whatever the hell.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM

43,538 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
A driver that just cannot allow any type of gap to exist between them and another vehicle. Otherwise known as a chronic tailgater. Those types of drivers make it difficult to change lanes.

I'm fine with leaving huge gaps between my vehicle and the one in front of me. That's why I get 90,000 miles out of a set of brake pads and some drivers get as little as 30,000.
Yes...what the hell happened to counting seconds between lamp posts and adjusting for miles per hour?

Now everyone is 10 feet from your ass careening down the freeway at 80mph.

You people are so effin' stupid! You will NOT BE ABLE TO STOP IN TIME, you dumb, dumb aholes!

And what makes it even more stupid is that unlike speeding (which I am not condoning), tailgating doesn't even get you to your destination faster. It just makes the whole road more dangerous and makes it impossible to change lanes, etc.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes...what the hell happened to counting seconds between lamp posts and adjusting for miles per hour?

Now everyone is 10 feet from your ass careening down the freeway at 80mph.

You people are so effin' stupid! You will NOT BE ABLE TO STOP IN TIME, you dumb, dumb aholes!

And what makes it even more stupid is that unlike speeding (which I am not condoning), tailgating doesn't even get you to your destination faster. It just makes the whole road more dangerous and makes it impossible to change lanes, etc.
Psssttt... You might have been yelling at the wrong person just then.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM

642 posts, read 863,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
"Why are people 'aggressive'?"

Because we have somewhere to be and we don't want to get imprisoned behind jerks who drive 30 mph on a wide-open stretch of road, who love to hang out in the left-hand lane and take 5-10 seconds to take-off when the light turns green--and don't care that those actions slow down people behind them who are actually trying to GET somewhere.
this is a BS argument, if you drove like those "slow" people you would probably save 3 minutes MAX. You think 3 minutes is worth putting lives at risk? Incosiderate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or