Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Horrors! What are people THINKING when they drive the speed limit? That it might actually be a LIMIT? We can't have those!

The most dangerous drivers on the highway are those who think that the traffic laws are a suggestion (which would include the OP if they were really driving that fast in a 55) to be obeyed only if you really really feel like it, but mostly not because they're such extra special good drivers and there's no one else on the roads that counts, anyway. This attitude usually extends to things besides speed (or driving, for that matter), and is indicative of the worst drivers, not the best (as they inevitably consider themselves).
1. Everybody knows that the real speed limit is the posted limit +10. Thats what the police expect people to drive.

2. Drive as slow as you like, as long as you are not impeding traffic. Just move over and let traffic pass you. The OP obviously wasn't doing that. Thats why people were pissed off at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. Everybody knows that the real speed limit is the posted limit +10. Thats what the police expect people to drive.

2. Drive as slow as you like, as long as you are not impeding traffic. Just move over and let traffic pass you. The OP obviously wasn't doing that. Thats why people were pissed off at him.
No, "everybody" doesn't know that because it's not true. You WANT it to be true, so of course you pass it around in hopes that it magically will become true.

The problem isn't so much the speeding, as the truly lousy drivers who think (a) that there isn't really a speed limit but they are competent to judge how fast they should be driving in traffic and (b) that they're not smart enough, or honest enough, or both, to acknowledge what they are really doing, which is a huge contributor to their being lousy drivers.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times

55: A Meditation on the Speed Limit - YouTube

This is heaven for a lot of people (imbeciles in all honesty).

Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

55: A Meditation on the Speed Limit - YouTube

This is heaven for a lot of people (imbeciles in all honesty).
Traffic was flowing just fine behind them....

Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Traffic was flowing just fine behind them....
If by flow you mean moving around aimlessly because they won't get anywhere then yes it did.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually you very much can, not have those. Robert Moses(?) designed 'modern' roads to an 85th percentile driver would feel reasonably comfortable at 80mph. A 55mph speed limit is an answer to a question no one asked. It makes huge amounts of revenue, however, for those municipal jurisdictions that choose to exploit the inbuilt instinct in people to "do what comes naturally". Enlightened jurisdictions flirt with the concept of doing away with speed limits all the time. They know it wouldn't actually hurt anyone to do that. Greed and corruption win out every time it goes to a vote though. Just saying...

H
I am amazed at some peoples egos.. they think they have the reflexes and reaction times that they will always be able to stop or slow down to avoid a collision. Sadly they usually harm someone else. these are the same ones who think it is fine to multi-task while driving........ texting, applying make-up,eating a sandwich,etc. Speed does kill. you are not that superior with your reflexes.........

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
When I was younger I was more aggressive and reckless. Now that I'm older (in my 30s) and usually have kids with me, I am safer but still drive aggressively when there is little to no risk around me. I cannot drive 55mph as that would bore me to death. It's really as simple as that for me.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
When I was younger I was more aggressive and reckless. Now that I'm older (in my 30s) and usually have kids with me, I am safer but still drive aggressively when there is little to no risk around me. I cannot drive 55mph as that would bore me to death. It's really as simple as that for me.
So, you are so undisciplined a driver that you cannot abide boredom and yet you think that you are safe to be behind the wheel of a multi-thousand pound motor vehicle on the public roadways with many other drivers of many different abilities and vehicles in many different states of condition with your children in the car and that's your excuse for speeding and driving aggressively? And you think this is something that you should air, and expect to be admired for, on a public forum?

That about sum it up?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

#1 is not true, my friend. I got pulled over for 10 over the limit when I didn't even know what the limit was... and the cop wouldn't let me off with only a warning despite how, in 13 years of driving to that point, I'd never gotten a ticket. This was in Texas, by the way.

#2 is not always possible. You can't just pull over. First of all, you don't know what's on the side of the road that could burst a tire. Secondly, stopping and then re-accelerating wastes gas. Thirdly, if you're in such thick traffic that you'd have to do this anyway, good luck getting back into the flow of traffic from a dead stop. Fourth, if you're in the slow lane, you're allowed to drive slowly as long as you're at or above the posted minimum speed (if there is a posted minimum speed). Fifth, let 'em get mad. Maybe you have to drive slowly. You owe nobody an explanation. (However, this is indeed one reason why people get mad on the highway. I myself have screamed at drivers who don't seem to know where the accelerator is. And, like everyone else, I was not thinking at the time about how the targets of my wrath could not hear my screams.)

Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I suspect that aggressive driving is more likely to manifest itself during the daily commute. When you leave the structure and monotony of what is too often a dull workplace, and fire up your vehicle, you're back into some sense of control (and when you're on your way into the daily grind, things are the other way around).

Furthermore, it's a situation in which you are likely to lose more of a valuable and irreplaceable asset -- your time. When the powers-that be schedule a construction project on you route to the sweatshop, the boss's only answer is "budget more of your limited time just to get to work" -- so the resentments simmer. I don't find it at all unusual that highway department workers have a disturbingly high fatality rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive