U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,482,755 times

Advertisements

A few days ago the plastic clip on my remote start key fob broke off my keychain, so I have been carrying the key fob separately in my pocket. I lost it somewhere today, likely when taking my wallet out of my pocket. I have a second key fob that works and that I will use instead, but does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the key fob I do have with a new "code" so that the old key fob will no longer associate with my car. Basically, I don't want someone walking around trying to determine which car can be started/unlocked with my lost fob.

Edit: I should also mention this is an aftermarket Viper system.

Last edited by mustang84; 11-19-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,461,066 times
IF you can do it yourself, there should be instructions in your owner's manual. More likely you will need to take it to a dealer, and they can remove the code for the lost fob from the car's memory. (Also some locksmiths have invested in the equipment needed to do re-programming)

If you would like more specific info from this forum, please provide make, model, year of car. They are not all the same.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM

8,407 posts, read 10,872,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
IF you can do it yourself, there should be instructions in your owner's manual. More likely you will need to take it to a dealer, and they can remove the code for the lost fob from the car's memory. (Also some locksmiths have invested in the equipment needed to do re-programming)

If you would like more specific info from this forum, please provide make, model, year of car. They are not all the same.
Apparently you missed the part where OP said this is a Viper alarm.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, this is an aftermarket Viper system that is not original to the car. It was installed by the previous owner and I don't have a manual or any other documentation that would describe how to reprogram it. But you do think an installer may be able to remove the old fob from the system's memory?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, this is an aftermarket Viper system that is not original to the car. It was installed by the previous owner and I don't have a manual or any other documentation that would describe how to reprogram it. But you do think an installer may be able to remove the old fob from the system's memory?
I don't think it can, but I've been out of the business for a while. Try the12volt.com. If I think of it I'll call a buddy who is still in the business tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't think it can, but I've been out of the business for a while. Try the12volt.com. If I think of it I'll call a buddy who is still in the business tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,461,066 times
Talking Oh Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Apparently you missed the part where OP said this is a Viper alarm.

Looks like OP was editing his post to add that info at same time of my response.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Looks like OP was editing his post to add that info at same time of my response.
I agree.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,579 times
Bought a 2003 Ford Taurus SES and it has a after market door unlock and close,
trunk opener,remote starter and horn activator incase of emergency, I broke it
and the only way to activate it is to connect it to the battery with wires.
It has a reciever which is mounted just above the mirror with 2 antenas, one on the right and another on the left. if anybody knows who made this unit I would truly appreciate it to know the name of the company and model number, thank you,
Mike Ramos boricatracho@yahoo.com

Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM

7,601 posts, read 10,107,034 times
1. It is considered bad form to hijack someone else's thread with your own unrelated question.

2. How is anyone supposed to know the make and model of a system you have provided no useful info about? All we know so far is it has antennas and wires. Oh, and it doesn't work.

3. No one here is going to email you, all you've done by posting your email address is to provide it to email harvesters so they can spam you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive