Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I would say that it is common in NJ for there to only be 1 attendant at an entire gas station-- you need 1 person staffed if it's self serve or full service anyway.
Not my experience. I can only think of one or two gas station that only have one person working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Same with New Jersey, my friends girlfriend was showing him how to pump gas and he squirted gas all over her lol
Maybe he was just trying to put her cigarette out?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The first time I visited the US and hired a car I wasn't sure how to use the pumps.

Do British "petrol" pumps operate differently than the ones in the U.S.?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
We don't pump gas n NJ...period.
I guess that you didn't read what I posted earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Re New Jersey, this quote from
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations

"34:3A-6. Dispensing of fuel; regulations

It shall be unlawful for any attendant to:

d. Permit any person who is not an attendant to dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle or any container."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Can you cite even one instance of somebody being arrested or otherwise placed in legal jeopardy, simply because he took control of the situation and pumped his own gas?

Nobody ever seems to be able to provide any factual data on people who...got into trouble...for pumping their own gas in NJ, so I have to conclude that the sheeple who sit on their butts while the gas jockeys mistreat their cars are afraid of...nothing more than an empty threat.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-22-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Maybe Oregon and New Jersey also need to monitor how peeps wipe and flush?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Do British "petrol" pumps operate differently than the ones in the U.S.?
There are subtle differences, the main one being that you can't set a UK one to auto fill.

At the time I hadn't come across a pump that required you to swipe your card. We do have them now.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I was at the gas pump today and a very sweet, well-dressed lady about 70 years old, asked me if I would help her operate the gas pump. She said her husband usually did it but she wanted to "surprise him" by doing it herself.

She was really clueless; didn't know how to work the card reader, get her gas cap off, how to operate the pump handle. In fact she splashed my shoes with gas because she forgot to release her grip on the pump handle when she pulled it out from the tank. We kind of had a laugh over all of this and agreed that it was a handy life skill.

I remember this being more common 20-30 years ago with older women, when it wasn't a given that all women of the previous generation could drive and pump their own gas. Does anyone know someone who can drive, but not pump gas?
Yes, ME I am a 61 year old lady, I pumped gas one time in my life and that was probably 30+ years ago.

I don't drive much now, and now I am also disabled, I was not then but even so my husband always did the gas or we used full service stations, more of them then self serve around here anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm willing to bet you'll get a sizable minority if you ask on the Oregon forums.. it's illegal to pump your own gas there. I think a few other states also disallow customers from pumping their own gas.
Wow, I didn't know that. Very strange. Why is that?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
I miss NJ full serve when I am on my motorcycle.

Back when i rode in Toronto they had just started adding card readers to gas pumps so you could pay at the pump. Only thing was when i swiped my card it would authorize for $75 dollars. The actual purchase price was around $6. The extra authorization would take days to clear off the card. Doing this a couple times a day for a few days would max out my card with all the extra holds..

Now in WNY it only does a $1 hold so it works much better..
Although there are very few full service stations around and if i want to pay cash it can be a pain because all the self-serves insist on prepaying. I have a small tank so i like to max out how much gas i put in at each stop. The only way to do this is to go inside and pay $10 go out fuel up the bike (usually 7-9) and then go back in and get my change...I could just low ball when i pay but then i have to stop for gas more often.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
I grew up in Pennsylvania right across the river from New Jersey, and I think it's so weird that you can't pump your own gas in the latter. It doesn't seem particularly hazardous or difficult, so I can only assume it's some leftover archaic law.

That said, I know more than one older female who doesn't pump her own gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive