Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You don't understand what prepaying for a tank of gas with a rental car means, do you? Virtually all rental car companies expect you to return a car with a full tank. Most people choose to fill the car up on the way back to the airport.

But if that is too difficult for you, you can pay in advance for a full tank, usually at a significantly higher price than retail. It doesn't matter if you only drive 75 miles. You'll pay for a full tank. It is a waste of money (at least to me). 20 gallons @ $4 gal = $80. I'd rather pay for the gas I used and fill it up when I return the car.
You just can't help yourself, can you? I do understand and it is not difficult for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I live in WA, and when I have to drive to CA I will always make sure to fill my tank just before crossing the border to OR, where self service is not permitted. It just feels a little weird to me not pumping my own gas, not unlike the restroom attendants in Las Vegas. Seriously, I can pump my own gas and take my own dump/urination. I do not need assistance with these tasks.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I live in WA, and when I have to drive to CA I will always make sure to fill my tank just before crossing the border to OR, where self service is not permitted. It just feels a little weird to me not pumping my own gas, not unlike the restroom attendants in Las Vegas. Seriously, I can pump my own gas and take my own dump/urination. I do not need assistance with these tasks.

I dunno...I can make my own hamburgers or omelettes or coffee, or make my own bed in a motel room, or get food and beverages to my table in a restaurant...but I'm perfectly OK with paying a bit more for someone to do it for me at times.

It's been many many years since someone pumped my gas for me but when I have a 25-gallon tank to fill and it's 20 below with the wind chill, trust me I'd love the full serve option!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 PM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Smart thinking!!
Thank you!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What year did self-service start? I can 't even remember the first time I ever pumped my own. l'm thinking it must have been around 1970, when I lived in Canada, and might have pumped my own for the first time on a trip to the US..
Dunno when it started, but in So CA we had self serve in the mid 50's @ $.015 per ga.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Do you know how to use a rotary phone?

I would be embarrassed to be you. It is pathetic to pay a rental car company ahead of time for gas just to avoid self serve gas.
But you're not embarrassed to be rude and insulting to a total stranger who - for all you know - may be a very nice human being? How odd. See, I would find that far more embarrassing.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
The fact that NJ and later Oregon outlawed self-service gas stations makes no sense to me whatsoever; I've been pumping my own gas here in Los Angeles for well over 40 years!!!

Why the heck did NJ outlaw self-service gas stations in the first place?

That pre-paid gas option at car rental companies is just another way for them to make more revenue; I was working for a rental car agency across the street from LAX when that practice was introduced in the very late eighties, and I've never used it, since self-service prices have always been lower as I discovered throughout the 80s and 90s while travelling to various baseball stadiums across the country, as well as here in LA, where our gas prices are high enough as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive