Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Yeah but it's not about that. It's about the fact that they make their own money so they have the right to use on what they want. If you make your own income then you can get your own car. It's not about who earned the money. It's about that each person makes an income so they can spend that money on something they desire. I'm sure most healthy marriages aren't all about throwing every cent they make into a community pool anymore.
Uh.
I'm sure they are.

Maybe not literally, but figuratively.

Creating further divisive strategies isn't a good idea in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh.
I'm sure they are.

Maybe not literally, but figuratively.

Creating further divisive strategies isn't a good idea in my book.
They are or they aren't. I figuratively just built a bridge this morning. Literal is the only thing that matters in this case.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
They are or they aren't. I figuratively just built a bridge this morning. Literal is the only thing that matters in this case.
No it is not.

My wife and I kept separate accounts for years bc of taxes, but it was always OUR money.

A spouse is not a child. You don't say, "Fine, but YOU have to pay for it."
A family's resources are just that...the family's.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I was going to say the same thing about you driving your own car and he driving his - why do you interchange your cars anyway... BUT since it now sounds like he just wants the cheapest car out there that is reliable, this difference of opinion could be about more than just cars if you really can't stand it that much. I'm not going to play psychologist here and suggest what to do - but I have to ask if this kind of difference in mentality stretches beyond cars in your relationship. It would be no wonder why you titled this thread the way you did.

I completely agree about getting 2 different categories of cars rather than 2 ho-hum sedans.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
No it is not.

My wife and I kept separate accounts for years bc of taxes, but it was always OUR money.

I always buy my own vehicles. Why would I expect my spouse to pay for my vehicle when I am the one driving it and choosing it. Same goes for my spouse's vehicle. We each decide what kind of vehicle we want, when we want it and then go buy it. We never say "Fine, then YOU pay for it.". It's already a given. You see, when 2 people are paying for it, then you are stuck with input and approval from 2 people. And that's not working for the OP.

I wonder how many other married couples each pick our their own vehicle and also pay for it separately. I bet it's close to 50/50. That's not to say that one side is right or one side is wrong.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-23-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I always buy my own vehicles. Why would I expect my spouse to pay for my vehicle when I am the one driving it. Same goes for my spouse's vehicle. We each decide what kind of vehicle we want, when we want it and then go buy it.
We do the same thing (buy the car we want) without all this MINE MINE stuff.

Do you label the food in the fridge, too?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:

Do you label the food in the fridge, too?
Never. Household food is a shared expense. Same as utilities and anything related to the house. Cars and clothing are individual expenses.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-23-2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Never.
Why not?

How dare you eat food she bought with HER money?!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
No it is not.

Nonsense woman. Your situation does not fit because you had it already established a pool. It's not like you actually had your money set away so you're no different then a couple who had a joint account except for taxes. Yes, if a partner wants one thing and the other wants something different. It's all fair for that person to use their own money and not use money from the other spouse without the other spouse understanding it. You act like the husband has the right to use his wife's money without her blessing simply because they are married. Absolute hogwash. The family's resources are what the two partners designate as the resources. It can be all to some to none. If you make an income of your own then you have every right to do with it as you please.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Nonsense woman. Your situation does not fit because you had it already established a pool. It's not like you actually had your money set away so you're no different then a couple who had a joint account except for taxes. Yes, if a partner wants one thing and the other wants something different. It's all fair for that person to use their own money and not use money from the other spouse without the other spouse understanding it. You act like the husband has the right to use his wife's money without her blessing simply because they are married. Absolute hogwash. The family's resources are what the two partners designate as the resources. It can be all to some to none. If you make an income of your own then you have every right to do with it as you please.
Wha-? What are you talking about? We don't even have our accounts at the same bank.
THere is no bank or account our money ever goes into together.

We never put our paychecks or anything else in the same account. We have separate savings, checking, retirement, investing, etc. We both had a lot of money in these accounts prior to getting together.

There is no pool.

But once we decided to be a family, it has never been about what I make is mine to spend, etc. Why get married, then? What happens when kids come and someone stays at home? Or one gets sick? Do they get no input or things cuz they don't have their own money?

You do whatever YOU want. This is just my opinion. But consider...eight years, two houses, five car changes, one kid...and not one single fight about money or buying something. That's what is behind my advice to be a team instead of grabby grabby mine mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive