Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times

Advertisements

On the LIE or a parkway. No! I usually am 10 above and many pass me
But in a school zone Yes!
In residential pretty close to speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
On state highways with generally low speed limits (55 to 60 mph or less), I strictly obey the posted speed limit in good weather conditions. On interstate highways where speeds can exceed 70 mph, I lock my cruise control at 65 mph and park in the right lane to save on gasoline. I thought about going 60 mph for better fuel savings but decided the fuel savings between 60 and 65 mph didn't warrant the increased travel time. However, for both state and interstate highways, if on dark night roads or in rain or fog, I will decrease my speed depending on level of visibility. If the visibility is reduced to a point causing me to greatly reduce my speed, I'll also turn on my hazard flashers. If traveling on an interstate during such times, I'll get off the interstate at my first opportunity and either go shopping or enjoy a relaxing meal until the fog lifts.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Just drove from San Antonio to North Houston. Drove 75-85 mph the whole way when not in city limits. Always felt "normal" & completely safe. Saw only 1 revenue generator harassing a commercial vehicle on the highway & 2 Harris County sheriffs harassing someone for drug interdiction, it seemed. (Do NOT consent to a search!). Both on the opposite side of the road.

All in all, a good, safe drive for me.
I hope the weather clears up in the northeast. I'm supposed to drive from Hartford to Boston late tonight and I was planning to do some SERIOUS speeding. I hope this opportunity does not have to be foregone due to poor weather conditions. I don't relish doing that drive in bad weather.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I'm in Idaho. We have long stretches of Freeway with NOTHING happening. (Next rest stop: 92 miles). It is 5+ hours from Boise to the next city of any real size. I've spent a lot of hours on the freeway where I've been able to count the cars I passed in an hour on my fingers. I've played games where I test my alignment and see how long my car can stay in my lane without touching the wheel.

However, the speed limit is already 75. So I don't have to speed too much. I usually set my cruise between 80-82. If I didn't have cruise control, I'd probably be going 90 everywhere. In traffic, I just go with the flow, but most of the time, out on the wide open road, there is very little traffic.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'm in Idaho. We have long stretches of Freeway with NOTHING happening. (Next rest stop: 92 miles). It is 5+ hours from Boise to the next city of any real size. I've spent a lot of hours on the freeway where I've been able to count the cars I passed in an hour on my fingers. I've played games where I test my alignment and see how long my car can stay in my lane without touching the wheel.

However, the speed limit is already 75. So I don't have to speed too much. I usually set my cruise between 80-82. If I didn't have cruise control, I'd probably be going 90 everywhere. In traffic, I just go with the flow, but most of the time, out on the wide open road, there is very little traffic.
It's situations like that in which I long for a self driving vehicle.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I hope the weather clears up in the northeast. I'm supposed to drive from Hartford to Boston late tonight and I was planning to do some SERIOUS speeding. I hope this opportunity does not have to be foregone due to poor weather conditions. I don't relish doing that drive in bad weather.
It looks like rain until late evening, but even if it stops the road might still be slick

Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Yes I speed. On the highway I set my cruise control to 8 mph over the speed limit. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 8 years. I go the limit in school zones.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
It looks like rain until late evening, but even if it stops the road might still be slick
That will definitely mess up my speeding ambitions. Bummer.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Yes I speed. On the highway I set my cruise control to 8 mph over the speed limit. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 8 years. I go the limit in school zones.
How much over the limit were you going when you got your last ticket? I went 14 years without a speeding ticket, until I got nailed 6 months ago today. I had a good run.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maybe they are rushing to their next job. They have bills to pay.
They will have medical bills to pay if they hit someone. Not to mention the lawsuit they will get slapped with. Not worth it, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive