Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times

Advertisements

Does this answer the original question? I was pulled over for doing 79 mph in a 55 mph zone, but the cop was a pretty cool guy (or maybe he thought I was) and he cut me a major break and only put down 65 mph. It was better treatment than I deserved.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Are you telling me municipalities can implement a 125 mph speed limit if they desire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
For example, the Texas Transportation Code:

§ 545.356. AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITY TO ALTER SPEED LIMITS.

(a) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter by ordinance prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the Texas Transportation Commission on an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system. The governing body of a municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b) The governing body of a municipality, for a highway or part of a highway in the municipality, including a highway of the state highway system, has the same authority to alter prima facie speed limits from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation as the commission for an officially designated or marked highway of the state highway system, when the highway or part of the highway is under repair, construction, or maintenance. A municipality may not modify the rule established by Section 545.351(a) or establish a speed limit of more than 60 miles per hour.

(b-1) Except as provided by Subsection (b-2), the governing body of a municipality, for a highway or a part of a highway in an urban district in the municipality that is not an officially designated or marked highway or road of the state highway system, is 35 feet or less in width, and along which vehicular parking is not prohibited on one or both sides of the highway, may declare a lower speed limit of not less than 25 miles per hour, if the governing body determines that the prima facie speed limit on the highway is unreasonable or unsafe.

(b-2) Subsection (b-1) does not apply to a highway or part of a highway that has four or more lanes used for vehicular travel.

(c) A prima facie speed limit that is altered by the governing body of a municipality under Subsection (b) or (b-1) is effective when the governing body erects signs giving notice of the new limit and at all times or at other times as determined.
Does that (posted earlier) answer your question?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Do you obey the speed limit on highways?
Nope.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Does that (posted earlier) answer your question?

So there is a state law regulating speed limits. That is what I said earlier.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM

427 posts, read 947,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Actually, no, it's a fact. Spee variance results in more motor vehicle collisions than all automobiles maintaining a constant velocity. It's not an opinion in the least.
No, actually it's an opinion. An uninformed opinion.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 PM

130 posts, read 362,273 times
Quote:
SH-130 is a toll road with somewhat exorbitant tolls that's also quite far out of the way for most people. To give you an idea of the traffic load, I believe that the toll company shall be bankrupt as of April 1, 2014 from what I heard. Very few people use it.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense...

Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
I usually go about 10-15 over the speed limit on highways so I'm usually in the 80-85 range, occasionally 90 if it's a really open road. I personally think speed limits are too low (except in residential and urban side streets), they should raise them to 80 from 70, in my opinion. If you don't feel comfortable doing more than 70 then you're probably a really incompetent driver. I notice (in general) the people who drive the speed limit or under are the same idiots texting and driving, trying to eat and drive, apply make up and drive etc. When I drive, I DRIVE, period.

I also hate really obvious speed traps, I notice it whenever I'm driving through South GA on the way to visit my brother who lives in Alabama, the speed limit on U.S 27 is 65 mph, and then out of nowhere down to 55 and then 45, with no change in road conditions or number of lanes whatsoever

I'll do the speed limit if it's raining, however.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I notice (in general) the people who drive the speed limit or under are the same idiots texting and driving, trying to eat and drive, apply make up and drive etc.

And the cops do not do anything about those clowns.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 8,167,247 times
Quote:
SH-130 is a toll road with somewhat exorbitant tolls that's also quite far out of the way for most people. To give you an idea of the traffic load, I believe that the toll company shall be bankrupt as of April 1, 2014 from what I heard. Very few people use it.
Was on there once in April, did a thing in Austin where I test drove a Gallardo, had it up to nearly 130mph on that road, I think I saw one car the whole time I was out there.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
Do most people in Florida obey the speed limits? No they don't, especially on I-10, I-4, I-75, I-95, Turnpike. Florida legislature is now discussing increasing the speed limit on certain areas of certain interstates from 70 to 75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive