Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

What cars out on the market today would you consider to be a good first car?

I'm almost 20 and have never had a car since going to college took precedence. This summer, I'll probably have an internship or job somewhere that would require me to get a car. I really know nothing about cars, though.

My only real requirements are decently priced (I have an excellent credit score and have no real bills and will have no debt out of college, but as a college student, I have no real income to speak of so I will be pulling payments mostly out of savings), safe, high MPG, generally lower insurance, and something new enough that I wouldn't have to worry too much about multiple cross- country trips (I go to college 1000 miles away from home and generally don't intern or work in either the city my family lives in or the city I go to college in).

What would you recommend your kids to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Get a used manual transmission Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Having driven both the stick and AT Corolla's; I would go for the latter on the Toyota.

Honda stick is good though

Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 78,165 times
you can get an '03 or '04 impala, intrepid, grand prix or other gm car for a good price. they will get alright gas millage and they have alot of room. alot of imports are very nice also.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:32 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How do you learn how to drive a stick? Totally not a facetious question at all- not a single person in my family drives a stick and I'm pretty sure I don't have any friends with anything other than manual. I've been looking into manual for awhile but actually knowing how to drive one is kind of a biggie :P

Also, in terms of Hondas and Toyotas- what are the price points in terms of models? Like, what are the cheaper models to more expensive? My parents have had a Camry for all of my life, which is what I learned to drive on until the car literally completely broke down and they bought an Accord. Are Civics and Corollas similar but just cheaper?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How do you learn how to drive a stick? Totally not a facetious question at all- not a single person in my family drives a stick and I'm pretty sure I don't have any friends with anything other than manual. I've been looking into manual for awhile but actually knowing how to drive one is kind of a biggie :P
I was taught by my mom. It's really not that hard. You just need to meet someone with a manual transmission car.
Quote:
Also, in terms of Hondas and Toyotas- what are the price points in terms of models? Like, what are the cheaper models to more expensive? My parents have had a Camry for all of my life, which is what I learned to drive on until the car literally completely broke down and they bought an Accord. Are Civics and Corollas similar but just cheaper?
The Civic is smaller and is a less fancy Honda than an Accord. The Corolla is a lesser model Toyota than a Camry.

Okay, this week I helped a good friend buy a '98 Civic sedan with just over 110K miles and an automatic tranny for $3300 dollars. The AT was her preference, but while AT cars are priced higher than MT cars with identical trim level and mileage, one issue is that eventually that AT will fail and have to be replaced or rebuilt. However there are tons of cheap used Civic parts available. Whereas a MT lasts a lot longer with periodically replacing the clutch. And with American cars, rebuilt AT's never feel as good as a new oem tranny does. But anyway, my friend just needed a cheap daily driver and that Civic fit the bill. Her hubby said she could spend up to $5K on a second car for the family. The car has decent tires on it, a new battery and muffler. The timing belt was done two years ago. So this car was found under budget and now she has a $1700 slush fund to cover incidentals like unexpected mechanical work on the car. And I think I've found some decent used mounted snow tires for her in the $200+ range.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
You really can't go wrong with a Honda.

That being said, I have a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire. You should be able to pick one up relatively cheap, but it is a very good car! I have a stick shift, however, the automatics get good mpg as well. They are cute/sporty, solid, affordable and actually have a decent 2.2 liter engine with good pick up.
Here's a couple of links to some on autotrader. I don't know where you live, I just picked some out from Phoenix and Los Angeles areas.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What cars out on the market today would you consider to be a good first car?
I drove a VW Rabbit today and thought it was a very fun car, especially with the manual tranny (stick shift). Mazda3 is also a fun car to drive.

Honda Civic and Toyota Carolla are also good first cars, but not fun.

Greenie

Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Look for a Buick Century thats in your price range

It should fit all of your requirements

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Look for a Buick Century thats in your price range

It should fit all of your requirements
Um, this is for a young man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive