Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,808 times

Advertisements

[quote=Trucker7;32470710]That used to be the case in the early days of synthetic oils that you could not mix them. That's not the case anymore. You can mix all you want. As a matter of fact, the "synthethic blends" that you can buy at the store are nothing but synthetic and dino oil premixed.

Errrrr all synthetic motor oils are what you folks call "Dino oils", They just have special additives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Personally, I would stick with one kind of oil. Sometimes, if you switch to synthetic when the car has a bunch of miles on it, it will start leaking oil. Then you need to switch back to regular oil.
That's not the case.

http://caradvice.askpatty.com/ask_pa....pKQ6GGTg.dpbs

Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdspen2014 View Post
I have been taking my truck to the dealership since ive had it. (probably 80,000 miles) They always used regular oil. Recently a buddy showed me how to change my oil and i didnt realize he had me put in synthetic both times we did it. the truck ran on synthetic for about 15,000 miles, about a week ago i took it back to the dealership where they put regular in it. I know this is a big NO-NO. Im not sure if i should change the oil back to synthetic tomorrow and keep synthetic in it for the rest of the time or if i should just keep the regular oil in the motor. Any advice?
Thanks
A vegetarian who decides to eat meat for some reason may tell you their body can't handle it and reacts unfavorably to a food they are not accustomed to. The automotive engine has no such adaptive mechanism as far as engine oil goes. You are probably going to hear all kinds of anecdotes but I would not be concerned in the slightest.

Use any engine oil approved by the vehicle manufacturer and you will be fine.

Don in Austin

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior41882 View Post
Errrrr all synthetic motor oils are what you folks call Dino oils, They just have additives.
No it's not additives, they are processed to change them chemically. Some aren't made from crude oil at all. I believe some are made from ethanol and Pennzoil makes their synthetic from natural gas

Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Folks, here's first hand experience from a guy who wore his teeth on oils.
Reason being, at some point I was doing 1200-1400 miles a week and then followed 3 000 miles oil change routine. Naturally, I had to do my oil changes every 3rd week. That's when I tried every single oil then available to find one that will last longest.
Then I discovered Royal Purple. 10 000 miles, boom! And PURRING engine.
Then I discovered Amsoil. 15000-17000 miles, boom!
Thing is, cost involved basically guides what to use.
With modern oils, you can interchange all you want to.
But, if you have a leaker or oil taker - say, via rings blow by burn out - and have to add oil ever so often, it is simply not feasible to use synthetic. I mean - quality synthetic. Too expensive. This is why I switched my Camry to conventional quality oil. It is not worth doing synthetic on her. But on wife's RX300, I did nothing but Amsoil, easy 15-17000 miles between changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive