Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Ok guys need some ideas.

Got a CEL. pulled codes bad O2 bank 1 o2# 2 bank 2 o2 # 1. 196k on truck I just ordered all new O2 sensors replaced all four. Looked original GM. This was a old shop truck.
Few weeks later CEL came back on
Pulled P0161 bank 2 sensor 2
Cleared it and came back
I'm gonna order another sensor just in case this one was just bad. There pretty cheap online.

Can there be anything else taking out this sensor? Truck is a 1999 c3500 with a 350 v8. No weird driving issues or loss of power etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
You could have a faulty ground, or damaged connector, or a wire rubbed through or melted through due to contact with the exhaust pipe - but any of those should have thrown a code almost immediately. It's also remotely possible that you have a vacuum leak of some sort, causing a lean condition. But obviously the most likely culprit is that O2 Sensor. If you have a multi-meter and a small propane torch, you can test the sensor. Or you can replace it and see if that solves the problem. You're taking a $30 gamble, not a $300 gamble.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Thanks GL
I'll get a new sensor. Yeah I got a few multimeters around here. I have two upstream sensors I ordered but were wrong application. They are all 4 wire. This is probably gonna sound lame and idiotic but can I cut and solder and splice Downstream connector with a upstream O2 sensor or will I get erroneous readings due to the different style sensors. I'm not sure if the calibrations are different. The only difference I see is the tips have a different hole pattern and the obviously different connector style.
I was worried I would have to order new cat cons.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You will cause erroneous readings. You can also find specs for sensors and check them out with multimeter. AM devices do not always work well with ECMs as those became very sensitive, anal, so to say, on devices specs.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok guys need some ideas.

Got a CEL. pulled codes bad O2 bank 1 o2# 2 bank 2 o2 # 1. 196k on truck I just ordered all new O2 sensors replaced all four. Looked original GM. This was a old shop truck.
Few weeks later CEL came back on
Pulled P0161 bank 2 sensor 2
Cleared it and came back
I'm gonna order another sensor just in case this one was just bad. There pretty cheap online.

Can there be anything else taking out this sensor? Truck is a 1999 c3500 with a 350 v8. No weird driving issues or loss of power etc.
I recommend exact fit only. Universal cut/splice wire sensors can be expected to set codes.

Bosch should work fine as long as not cut and splice.

Don in Austin

Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
The engine computer is not only monitoring the O2 sensor, but also the wiring going to that sensor - which goes all the way back to the engine computer and its electrical connector. So there can be a problem with the wiring and that will cause a code as well.

Wiring problems can be loose or dirty connections. Also a wire rubbing against a sharp metal object and grounding out.

O2 sensors which are heated and have more wires also need electrical power to the O2 sensor heater. Again if there is a wiring problem to that heater, then it will not heat up the O2 sensor or may only sometimes heat it up.

There can also be "intermittent" wiring problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. One way to eliminate the O2 sensor as being the problem is to "swap" it with the sensor on the other side. If the problem moves, then the problem is with the sensor - replace it.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
A winner!

BillyJ has the right first tactic to check out the problem.

Swap the sensors from side to side, clear the code, and see if the problem recurrs but on the other cyl bank.

I've been down the road too many times with making a sensor "fit" ... either a universal replacement or those odd times when we've had to adapt the "right plug" onto a sensor. Seems like these situations always come back to bite us with more DTC's. I've had no issues with using the correct fit sensors in these applications, and I don't like to have to play around doing work twice for a client even if it looks like it's gonna' save them some money, it usually winds up costing me money. The days of the early 1-wire O2 sensor crude systems where they were pretty much the same have long been replaced with far more sophisticated and sensitive systems ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive