Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Adjust speed 54 63.53%
Stay at current speed 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

Maintain speed, though if the lane to my left is clear I will move over. The purpose for me to maintain speed is so that the merging driver does not get confused. It's much easier to blend into steady traffic. He should be able to tell how to adjust his speed for merging onto the highway either in front of or behind any oncoming cars.
Now if it looks like he is going to try to merge in front of me anyway and is running out of room on the on ramp I will take my foot off the gas so he can have enough room to safely merge in before running out of road. It's his responsibility to adjust merging speed but occasionally someone will try to race up ahead or just happen to mis-judge where I'll be. Just because I have the right away doesn't mean I shouldn't do something to avoid an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:19 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. If possible, I move over a lane.
2. If thats not possible, I accelerate ahead the vehicle entering the freeway.
3. If thats not possible, I give a slight tap on the brake, and the let other vehicle merge in front of me.

I don't understand people who won't let others merge in front of them. Usually a five mph speed adjustment is all it takes to let the other vehicle in. If everybody would just cooperate with each other, everybody gets where they are going quicker.

Plus what happens if the other driver is zoned out and doesn't see you? He hits your car, forcing you into the next lane hitting another car, and you end up with a chain reaction accident. You and a half dozen other drivers end up with ambulance rides to the hospital. Then 10,000 more people get stuck for an hour in the traffic jam, while emergency responders clean up the mess, caused because couldn't give a slight tap your brake and let another vehicle merge in front of you.

I just don't get it.
I try to let people merge in front of me but they always seem to choose to merge right into me and always side swipe me.

When merging use your use your mirrors look over your shoulder and use your gas simple, pretty easy

Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pretend traffic is too heavy to switch lanes.

Adjust speed or just stay at your current speed?

I personally avoid adjusting my speed because i used to get into many situations where i would speed up so he can filter behind me but at the same time he is trying to speed up to filter in front of me which creates an awkward situation.
As long as there's adequate space in front and/or behind me, I stay at my current speed so that my actions aren't unpredictable for the person merging, and leave it up to him to find his way into a gap. However, if the only way to give him room is to slow down or speed up, then I'll do one or the other as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Drive the same speed.

It is the responsibility of the car merging to merge his speed with the rest of traffic.
In some states (IL included), a driver in the traffic lane also has a duty to adjust his/her speed to avoid a collision if necessary.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'll assess the situation and either speed up,slow down or stay the same speed, one thing i wont do is play the confrontational game , like how much trouble is it to move your foot a half inch on the gas peddle?
Usually if i see some one about to merge onto the highway if theres no traffic i''ll actually move to the left lane .

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I try to let people merge in front of me but they always seem to choose to merge right into me and always side swipe me.
When you see them coming down the ramp, pace them. Adjust your speed. Make sure you are either a car length in front, or a car length behind them, when they enter. If you are not beside them, they can't side swipe you. That simple.

Merging - YouTube

Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Adjust speed. Traffic too heavy is the norm here on NJ 1 North. Don't want to be a d**k and not allow space for the guy merging. Up here, if you dont allow space, there is NO OPTION for the guy to merge, he has to force himself in, and p*** off a few drivers. Either way, someone is getting honked at. Honking is an essential here, and was taught to me by my driving instructor as an NJ drivers survival skill. It was part of my road test .

Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
For those who think it is the merger that has to get up to speed before entering the highway consider that 18 wheelers can't get up to highway speed like a car can. If you play hero with them and not let them in you will be on the losing end of a merge. Leave your tough guy attitude home and play nice with all the drivers. Better to be behind a merging vehicle than under it.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
It's all been said: move to the center lane, or speed up to get ahead of them, or slow down to let them in.

Here in Massachusetts, you get all types:

I've had someone behind me on the ramp surge forward and to the left and get onto the highway ahead of me, then not let me on.

Some people are timid and stupid; they go about 30-35 mph on the ramp right up until it ends, then bounce along on the shoulder. I slow down, mistakenly thinking they're going to take the spot I'm offering them. Ultimately I have to blast the horn to warn them I'm speeding up again to highway speeds and going on past. I don't want to get rear ended.

Some people just obliviously shoot down the ramp and onto the highway with no regard for existing traffic. OUTTA MY WAY!!!

Some people just don't get it. Instead of taking the offered opening, they match my speed; I speed up, they try to speed up. I slow down, they start slowing down. Fun! Let's rub shoulders!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
PDD, it has nothing to do with a "tough guy attitude" and everything to do with safe driving practices. Should one modify those practices in unusual situations IF it is called for by the situation? Yes.

But in standard practice, maintaining speed is the safe thing to do until we get reliable telepathy between drivers of vehicles - not just the two referred to in the discussion but all of those surrounding them.

In your scenario with the possible merging 18 wheeler, you're also ignoring the possible 18 wheeler on the highway behind you that is going to have to slow down and get back up to speed if you slow down for the vehicle merging (never mind all the other traffic behind you).

It's a simple question with complicated answers when you throw in all the "what ifs", but if you take the question exactly as written, the answer is simple.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
PDD, it has nothing to do with a "tough guy attitude" and everything to do with safe driving practices. Should one modify those practices in unusual situations IF it is called for by the situation? Yes.

But in standard practice, maintaining speed is the safe thing to do until we get reliable telepathy between drivers of vehicles - not just the two referred to in the discussion but all of those surrounding them.

In your scenario with the possible merging 18 wheeler, you're also ignoring the possible 18 wheeler on the highway behind you that is going to have to slow down and get back up to speed if you slow down for the vehicle merging (never mind all the other traffic behind you).

It's a simple question with complicated answers when you throw in all the "what ifs", but if you take the question exactly as written, the answer is simple.
Why are people making this so complicated? Move over and let them in or slow down and let them in. I've been driving over 50 years mostly in the most crowded state in the US and I have never had any problems with the merge. It's just common sense. Jeeze.

BTW put those friggin cell phones down and driving becomes much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive