Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:25 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide which car I should keep and which one I should sell. Really having a hard time deciding what to do...

2003 Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix), (base model) with 66k miles (no issues, 60k maint done)
or
2000 Subaru Outback (Limited, fully loaded) with 117k miles but has a lot of work done to it (over 7k total repairs) including a new transmission w/ 55k miles on it, also headgasket work done 15k miles ago, new Catalytic converter and timing

I was originally planning to sell the Vibe because I like the Outback more (its a nicer car, imo) but I'm getting nervous about the Outback's reliability (now it needs a new alternator and the ac isn't working) and I don't want to deal with constant problems.

What would you do??

Last edited by Prple; 12-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Cadillac converter?

Do you benefit from the AWD of the Subaru? Maybe it has reached the point where you likely won't need to spend real money on it for a while.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Sell both and buy Honda CR-V. Sleep well.
Otherwise, if you are NOT under the gun for 4WD vehicle, sell Subaru. Your repairs already are about close to vehicle worth. With likely more coming. But even if you were under the gun for 4WD, I'd still sell her. Wait till engine goes bad.
There are much better cars reliability wise with very decent AWD systems for average user.
Of course, if you want to impress geese with roaring turbo (when it works) and fast car (when not in repairs) keep Subbie. That particular magnet takes $$ to maintain.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Keep the Vibe. It's a Toyota Corolla.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
"7k of repairs" but over how many years ... 13? New transmission at 55kmi is odd and since the headgasket's done, I'd just keep it especially if you live in the Pacific Northwest. The Vibe might fetch you more $ anyways.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sell both and buy Honda CR-V. Sleep well.
Otherwise, if you are NOT under the gun for 4WD vehicle, sell Subaru. Your repairs already are about close to vehicle worth. With likely more coming. But even if you were under the gun for 4WD, I'd still sell her. Wait till engine goes bad.
There are much better cars reliability wise with very decent AWD systems for average user.
Of course, if you want to impress geese with roaring turbo (when it works) and fast car (when not in repairs) keep Subbie. That particular magnet takes $$ to maintain.
OP has two most-likely paid for vehicles with relatively low miles and good reliability and your recommendation is to sell them and buy a new car?

Op didn't say $7k of repairs was recent. The tranny was done at 55kmi. Timing belt is routine maintenance.

Turbo? On a 2000 Outback?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Again, ukrkoz doesn't know about the car he's talking about here ...

"Of course, if you want to impress geese with roaring turbo (when it works) and fast car (when not in repairs) keep Subbie. That particular magnet takes $$ to maintain."

FYI ... the 2000 OBW Limited does not have a turbo, and it's most decidely not a fast car, not by any means.

Ours has been dead reliable for easily double the mileage that is on the OP's car. While the head gasket problem did still show up in these, if it's recently been fixed, the late head gaskets are very durable. Our 2000 is on the original gaskets and doing just fine at 240,000 miles.

If the AWD is a factor in your use, then the Subie has one of the best systems around and it may be justified to keep it going. An alternator is reasonably inexpensive for this car and easy to install. The A/C, until diagnosed, is an open issue.

If the AWD isn't needed in your driving, then this may be the time to part company with a car that you don't need. The big drawback to the OBW is the continual costs of an AWD, particularly in fuel economy lost to the AWD system for every mile when you don't need it.

We've been driving OBW Limited's for years now, and they have been the sturdiest, most reliable, and highly capable transportation cars we've owned at a lowest cost per mile compared to many other cars. We depend upon the AWD for at least 6 months out of every year, and it's been a key feature of these cars for us.

At 117K miles, with so much work already done on the Subie, it's likely able to deliver a lot more good miles for you. I'd keep it rather than the Vibe, but only if you need the AWD for your driving.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-09-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I would keep the Vibe. More reliable, and lower miles.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I would agree with sunsprit here. From what I've seen with people I know that drive Outbacks (and lots of miles), the weakest point on them is the head gasket issue and the automatic transmission. You've addressed both. The A/C could be something as simple as a refrigerant leak (hose) or a bad compressor. Get it diagnosed, then make a decision. The alternator is not an unusual problem for a vehicle with 100K-plus miles, especially if it has been started and stopped a lot. Fix it and the new one should last at least another 80K-100K if you buy a quality replacement.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Vibe since it's more reliable and since Pontiac is gone, it'll be harder to sell. People love old Subrau's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive