Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Its pretty clear what the problem in this video is, and no its not about global warming. Ice fishing season must have opened and everyone is rushing to their favorite spot fearful someone will get their spot. I have always been in favor of a staggered opening to the season to avoid just this sort of madness.

It reminds of the fed gov, rushing trying to do something productive only to leave us with a mess to clean up
More likely that they were trying to get home for the Packer game . This happened around 11am. There were three other pileups on area freeways Sunday morning. This one was the largest though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I can't believe it. We've gone through 41 posts and nobody has blamed it on Obummer yet.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't believe it. We've gone through 41 posts and nobody has blamed it on Obummer yet.
Well, looks like the answer is....42.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I almost got wiped out last year! The roads were a mess and people were driving slowly for the road conditions EXCEPT for ONE IDIOT that passed me and thereby blowing up so much snow that I was completely blind for what seemed like minutes. It took time to get my windshield wipers to remove all of the snow. I was so pissed and thought about following that truck and calling the troopers. I decided against it because that would have meant that I would have had to drive faster than the road conditions required.

Sure, I panicked because I could NOT see a thing but I kept my calm - saved my life and perhaps some lives of the people in the vehicles behind me.
phew! that was a close one I bet.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
People are dumb. On Monday morning here in Boston, some of the roads were really slushy thanks to a steady freezing rain/sleet. I hit the road around 9:30 when most of the traffic had passed, and the left lane on my main highway didn't feel safe to drive in because I was slip sliding all over. I got in one of the center lanes and watched A SCHOOL BUS charge up the left lane going at least 60 (the speed limit on this highway is 45 and even that would have felt too fast under the conditions). I was shocked to not see it spun out further up.

A few years ago on Thanksgiving, I was almost in a pileup. Conditions were great, but the road was crowded and everyone was tailgating at 60+ MPH. I always back off of the car in front of me proportional to how close the car behind is following so I have time to break, which was what saved me. There was an accident ahead of us that was blocking the left lane, so we went from 60 to 0 very quickly. At least 5 cars behind me ditched off into the median. Then cars were getting into fender benders in the median itself since some cars were clearly going WAY too fast and ended up cruising down the median at 70 or 80mph. The car behind me wasn't even paying enough attention to hit his breaks in time!

I always think of that whenever I'm in tight packs of traffic for the conditions we are in. In snowy situations, it doesn't take much at all.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Too many of those people obviously we're driving way faster then they should have a period of those speeders, most of them we're probably just looking at the car in front of them instead of looking at the whole picture and further down the road because they surely should have seen dozens of cars blocking it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I could have believed something like this happening in So Cal if it snowed like that but in a state where this is the normal occurrence?
I guess all the idiots in that area were out on a joyride!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM

542 posts, read 691,599 times
It's kinda like that when it rains in Southern California ... my parents moved us away from New York well before I learned to drive. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with snow or ice. Oil-slick roads after the season's first rain are bad enough.

The people getting out of their cars and just standing in the middle of the road - good golly. I was always taught to stay in the car, but I would probably get out of the car if my car was in the middle of the road. I'd run for the hills, though. Did the people assume that other drivers would see the accidents and slow, when they themselves hadn't noticed slowed traffic ahead and crashed because of it?

I came across similar behavior - driving home at night, in the middle of town on a four-lane road, I noticed some people on the side of the road - the opposite side - along with a car parked on the curb facing the wrong way. So I started to slow because it didn't feel right (there weren't street lights in this area). Then I had to slam on my brakes because a woman was standing in the middle of my lane, talking on a cell phone. She stepped aside and screamed at me something like, "What are you doing, there's been an accident." And there were no cars in the middle of the road at all - any stopped cars were well off to the side. And somehow she thought that because she'd been in a fender bender that she had the right to stand in the middle of the road - three lanes over from where the cars were parked.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I almost got wiped out last year! The roads were a mess and people were driving slowly for the road conditions EXCEPT for ONE IDIOT that passed me and thereby blowing up so much snow that I was completely blind for what seemed like minutes. It took time to get my windshield wipers to remove all of the snow. I was so pissed and thought about following that truck and calling the troopers. I decided against it because that would have meant that I would have had to drive faster than the road conditions required.

Sure, I panicked because I could NOT see a thing but I kept my calm - saved my life and perhaps some lives of the people in the vehicles behind me.
Flippin' Hannaford truck drivers here in Maine do that sh...stuff a LOT- speed limit down to 45 in a storm and these clowns go speeding past in excess of it, splashing crap up onto people's windshields...one time 3 went by me in a line, and the stuff was so heavy my wipers wouldn't move it...I was sure wishing I could have thrown some lead at them.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 287,963 times
Slow down your cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive