Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A good start would be charging every single driver that drove into this mess that was unable to stop with careless or reckless driving. Having a license suspension or revocation for a few months or a year might get a few of those clods thinking.
Actually, according to WTMJ-AM Milwaukee, the prosecutors have announced that no charges will be filed in teh accidents last Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:24 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, according to WTMJ-AM Milwaukee, the prosecutors have announced that no charges will be filed in teh accidents last Sunday.
That's just amazing to me. The speed at which some of those cars were traveling, in those conditions? I don't understand why this would not be considered worthy of prosecution. The video can show the exact speed of each vehicle, so the charges should be easy to support.

One man is dead, and from the update I just got from my friend, there will probably be at least one more fatality. She has a 92-year old family member who is badly injured, and her family believes she has basically given up and is just shutting down and letting go. Her 65-year old daughter's pelvis is "shattered," according to my friend, and at that age she'll never recover fully. Doctors have already told her she'll never work again. A third family member is also hospitalized, but I'm not sure what the details are there.

I don't know which of the cars in the video they were driving, and in all honesty I suspect that they were one of the ones who were driving too fast. Reading between the lines, that's the impression I'm getting. And I'm not even sure who was driving; it may have been one of the badly injured ones. Perhaps the prosecutors feel that in this case, the knowledge of what they have done to their 92-year old mother is sufficient penalty, and if that's the case, I could possibly understand - unless, of course, they also were responsible for the injuries to other drivers. But the idea that, with all the suffering and the loss of life that resulted from this, nobody is going to face charges is difficult to understand. This wasn't something that just happened, this is something that was entirely preventable, and the people who are responsible should have to answer for it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Do people in Wisconsin not have any better sense than to stay home when the roads are like that? Obviously, they had not been cleared yet with plows. Honestly, it's just nuts to be out in that kind of weather conditions.

20yrsinBranson
Not if you drive safely. The road conditions aren't the problem; that sort of storm is easy to handle if you have the right car, and I've driven in far worse snowstorms countless times with no difficulties whatsoever. You just slow down, that's all. The trouble is you have idiots like this who don't want to do that - they want to drive 60 miles an hour in 30 mile an hour snow. If all of those vehicles had been operating at the proper speed, none of this would have happened.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Political cowardice.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
I wish people would learn to slow down. People are not as busy as they like to pretend they are when theyre driving.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
That's crazy.
I wonder how that will play out among all the insurance companies involved, if nobody's at fault?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
That's crazy.
I wonder how that will play out among all the insurance companies involved, if nobody's at fault?

Wisconsin is NOT a no-fault state like Michigan. I am sure that most of the people will file their claims with their own insurers and let the insurance carriers fight it out in court.

My the way, the Wisconsin State Patrol called for people to slow down last night as the area was again to be blanketed by 4-6 inches of snow. (again, reported by WTMJ-AM)

In my old age, it is much easier to turn on the computer and watch/listen to games rather than deal with the snow and ice.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I think half the cars/SUVs in the pile up were totally irresponsible drivers. Just because it's the highway doesn't mean it's okay for you to continuing driving 70mph on black ice in whiteout weather.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:01 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Not if you drive safely. The road conditions aren't the problem; that sort of storm is easy to handle if you have the right car, and I've driven in far worse snowstorms countless times with no difficulties whatsoever. You just slow down, that's all. The trouble is you have idiots like this who don't want to do that - they want to drive 60 miles an hour in 30 mile an hour snow. If all of those vehicles had been operating at the proper speed, none of this would have happened.
I agree. When living up north (MN, WI, MI, etc) you have to learn how to drive in snow/snowstorms. Our lives don't stop because it's snowing. Like you said, people need to drive at the proper speed for the conditions. The same is true for heavy rainstorms, fog, etc. Just SLOW DOWN....please!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
That is tough. I was in an accident years ago, the road was pure ice. I had hit pretty hard, and my car was literally hanging precariously at the edge of a steep decline. I did not know what to do, I watched cars all around me, spin, slide.

People are not always thinking straight after an accident.

In my case, I got out of my car, realized the road was like ice on glass, I could barely stand. My car was rocking on the decline. Fortunately, the police were there right away. And my car was the first one towed.

It was odd weather, rain, that turned to sleet, ice, within minutes. Just went cold, crazy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive